Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    fm2b
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Do You Wear Your Seatbelt

I saw a poll on the main page that asked if you wear your seatbelt when responding to a run on the truck or engine. I wasn't able to review the results, but I am curious- do you wear your seatbelt? Reasons for wearing one are obvious, but I don't wear mine. Do you?

[This message has been edited by fm2b (edited October 20, 2000).]

Ten8_Ten19
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must confess I don't wear on calls either. I do usually wear them during training, exercise runs and work details. Very strange because my POV doesn't move unless I'm belted. It's partly adrenaline (other things on my mind) and partly convenience. Our engine has lap belts that are always laying down on the floor and the cab of the rescue is like a sardine can, especially with all your gear on. Pretty weak excuses, I know. Seat belts are state law and department policy and something a lot of us have to condition ourselves to do EVERY time.

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hope our volunteers wear theirs. It's the Law, and our volunteers are subject to all laws that apply to motor vehicles. I was really surprised to hear that you didn't. It never crossed my mind that our volunteers might not be wearing theirs. Great question, and one I will asking. thanx

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes, the seatbelt is a pain, in a cramped jumpseat it's often hard to locate the seatbelt, I've seen guys belt themselves into their airpack and if your not dressed you can't while the belt is on. But reguardless of the short delay getting into your gear, if your rig gets into an accident your chances of getting hurt or killed are greatly increased.

A few months back a Chicago ladder was struck by a pickup truck while enroute to a call. The Officer was ejected and died. The damage to the rig didn't look that bad on the news, if the officer was wearing a seatbelt he would probably be alive today. (he was the only fatality at this accident)

Always wear your seatbelt, it took a while for me to get in the habbit, but I always wear one on the fire apparatus. (back of the ambulance I can't always but I try to wear it as much as possible).

No one will fault you for wearing your belt, if they do they should find another profession.

Stay Safe

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

If I'm on the Medic, I will wear it going to calls, and returning, but not when I'm working on a patient. On the Engine or Tower, I wear them if we're returning from calls, becase I've stripped off most of my gear and I'm sitting in the fold down jump seat. Like the others stated, I ALWAYS wear one in my personal vehicle, but on the way to a call it inhibits getting prepared for the call.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

I do wear the seatbelts....I've been to too many accidents and have seen too many needless deaths and injuries!

With the way people drive today....not paying attention, gabbing on the cell phone, shaving, putting on makeup, reading and driving at the same time, pulling out in front of you, cutting you off or stopping dead in front of you whenever they hear a siren...the chances of getting into an accident are greatly increased.

Like Vince and Larry say....Don't be a dummy wear your seatbelts!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting our tomorrows....
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited October 22, 2000).]

Capt. Clay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

This is a good topic! I've got this to add. Wear the belt, always. If it takes longer to gear up, who cares. I love the job, but the fire can wait, my girl can't wait forever.

------------------
    Be safe, have fun!
    Capt. Clay

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

The *only* time I don't have my seatbelt on in the truck is when I'm trying to get into my turnout pants - it's impossible to stand up and wear a seatbelt. As soon as I'm in my bunkers, that belt goes on. We have a great big hill near our station, with a busy intersection midway down, and I'm constantly thinking, "What am I gonna break if we stop suddenly *right now*?" The idea of taking a high-speed header into one of the airpack mounting brackets gives me the shivers...

[This message has been edited by Quint1Medic (edited October 21, 2000).]

Lafd4me
    Firehouse.com Guest

I feel its the Apparatus Operators Responsibility to not operate that vehicle until it is safe to do so..which is in my opinion making sure everyone is ready to respond safely. I have been on the job for 20 yrs and 10 of them as an Engineer. And I feel its part of my responsibility to see to it that we are all safely ready to respond. I may not be able to physically see that everyone has their belt on but i have told all that ride on my Rig that I want seatbelts worn at all times. I could not live with myself if the Rig Im driving crashes and someone dies because they didnt wear a seatbelt. Please dont put us Apparatus Operators in that position of dealing with your death because you chose not to wear a seatbelt. GET THE PICTURE? See its not just about YOU!!

------------------
    Tim..The FireGuy!!
    LA City Fire Dept.

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well fm2b, I must say that in our past "conversations", I have always swayed to the side of safety. But you've finally caught me. I used to be in the USAF, and it is military law that everyone wears their seatbelts, and I do, in my own vehicles. I am very bad when it comes to the apparatus though. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have worn a seatbelt in a fire engine. When it is snowing, or the road conditions are less than favorable, I will find the time to put it on, but on any other given day..... I know that it is a life saver, and I am a "seatbelt pusher" when it comes to people riding in my POV, but for some reason, I just don't think about it while in the rigs. I must thank you because it is an eye opener.
    I know I don't want my wife and little girl wondering why...........

Take care, stay safe, & stay low.

Lt.

AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Not as often as I should...

[This message has been edited by AVF&R452 (edited October 22, 2000).]

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

I wear it when i am driving, but not when I'm in the back seat, dont seem very logical does it

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

When we have a driver's training class, this subject is emphasized - showing differences in where you'll be with vs. without a seat belt. But ya'll have given me a new insight - yeah, we know we should - and yeah, in our state it is a law. That adrenaline thing can really make us all forget!! I agree with smokeeater 51 - this is an eye-opener -----and like cornwhite, I'm gonna start asking!!!!!!

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I find it most interesting to see how many of US do not wear our belts every single time we get into any kind of apparatus whether it is POV or not.

This is amazing to think of!!

Of all the people in the world who see others in extreme pain and agony we should be setting the example and be the leaders of something that is the right thing to do all the time no matter how inconvienced we might be.

How many kids going to the prom have
    DIED! because they did not want the dress or tux to get a crease in it. Or the dress wrinkled or the hair messed up, shall I go on.

And some of US suggest that not wearing the belt will make us get ready sooner to do the JOB when we get to the scene, rather than put the belt on, tell the driver we are ready to go, get there, take the belt off (driving down the road is done now), get ready to do the JOB, and guess what??? we are all in one piece to do the JOB!! Are not the rules for us to get there to help not be part of the problem.

Some one took a great picture (I do not like these kind of pics)(I think it was Firehouse Mag about apparatus accidents) of an engine which had rolled over and everyone was wearing the belts and they all walked away?? There was another of where someone did not. American Heat had a great video story on what happen in the Southwest when an engine and an aerial hit each other at an intersection.

My drivers know we do not move until we all have the belts on. All the calls, coming and going. To home, around home, at work and play. ALL THE TIME!!!

------------------

Big T
    Firehouse.com Guest

The EMT's in the front seats always wear there belts.. But the EMT's in the back working on the patient never were them..

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Every day, every time. The only time I don't have it on is when I'm forced to move in the back of the squad while treating and transporting a patient. But, as soon as I find a seat, the belt goes on.

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

AS regular posters on this forum know, I am recuperating from an accident in my POV responding to an alarm. I wear my seatbelt 99% of the time in my POV, but alas, this time I wasn't. I broke C-2, C-5, C-7 and T-3 vertebrae. I am lucky to be sitting here, let alone having full functionality in my extremeties. I am a chauffer on all apparatus and a driving instructor for the Department (I should know better, huh )
    I never used to wear my seatbelt in the truck, even as a Captain riding OIC. When I get back, and I say when not if, that will be a situation that changes. Front or back of the truck, it doesn't matter. It only takes a fraction of a second to change your life forever, whether it's riding the truck, or inside the building.
    Think about it brothers and sisters.
    Be Safe

Ian Wood

MtnFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

SOGs for our district have the apparatus operator responsible for not moving the vehicle until all are seated and belted. This is rigidly enforced, to the point that on a run last night we sat for about 30 sec. while the operator got his recalcitrant belt to fasten.

The operator was our Chief, so it was satisfying to know that the rules apply to all. (I think I heard him on the radio this morning talking to our mechanic about fixing a certain seat belt.)

fjbfour
    Firehouse.com Guest

Neither my car or any apparatus I'm driving turn a wheel until I'm belted in. My former dept, where we had fully staffed engines and paramedic units, if I was in the jumpseats (fully enclosed) I would delay belting in until the SCBA pack was on - more than once I had somehow attached myself to the seatbelts and gotten stuck. In the back of the ambulance, most of the time it was impractical to be belted, no matter how bad you wanted to be. I guess working the patient in back includes some calculated risks . . .

Fire Line
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!

Last week two teenagers were killed when the vehicle they were in rolled. Both were ejected, the driver who was wearing her seatbelt walked away with minor injuries. One was the son of one of the paramedics who responded.

Drive Safe
    Arrive Safe

snowmankw77
    Firehouse.com Guest

I always try to wear my seatbelt on the engine becuase it is an open cab but i don't always wear it in the squad or brush truck.

------------------
    Matt Briskey
    Eastern Garrett County
    Station 80

"What's in it for me?

Hard Work
    Injury
    Possible Death
    A deep and abiding feeling of personal satisfaction found in few aspects of life"

"Nobody ever called the fire department when they did something smart!!"

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Everyone in our company wears them. To and from alarms, or when we are just in service. We also secure our air packs.

AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

ffirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fm2b:
    I saw a poll on the main page that asked if you wear your seatbelt when responding to a run on the truck or engine. I wasn't able to review the results, but I am curious- do you wear your seatbelt? Reasons for wearing one are obvious, but I don't wear mine. Do you?

[This message has been edited by fm2b (edited October 20, 2000).]
    [/QUOT
    I HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAVE NEVER ONCE WORN MY SEATBELT EITHER ON DRILLS, CALLS, OR EVEN COVERING FOR FIREWORKS DISPLAYS. TO TELL THE TRUTH I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT OUR APPARATUS HAD SEATBELTS UNTILL ABOUT 3 MONTHS AFTER I JOINED. ALSO OUR RESCUE SQUAD ONLY HAS BELTS FOR THE DRIVER AND OFFICER, WHICH IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WE'RE GETTING A NEW ONE. BUT I DOUBT I'LL WEAR A BELT IN THAT TRUCK EITHER.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Dear ffirefighter, do not play with fate, it will get you at some point. The seal belts are in OUR apparatus for a good reason and they are not to just look at. Wear them, I do not want to see the LOFF notice telling us you have died because you were not doing the right thing. Maybe you could ask your wife her opinion of whether you should or not.

Don Zimmerman

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Always, every time. POV or fire rig. Why? No. 1--common sense. 2-- Town policy is for everyone in the rig to wear a seatbelt.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information