Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think it would be cool to do it once, but that is all. I would have to be fully dressed already so I could use both hands to hold on for dear life! When I was a kid, all I wanted to be was a garbageman, so I could ride the backstep of the garbage truck all over my neighborhood! Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

jj1967
    Firehouse.com Guest

I rode a lot of tailboard as a young fireman. On a 57 International and a 67 Maxim. In the summer it was a lot of fun. In the New England winter, it was pure misery. I also wore a 3/4 coat and hip boots. I don't miss it much, but I must admit...on a nice spring day I miss it more.

ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

TRUE STORY-
    November 19th my family and I were on our way home from the upper peninsula of Michigan after my no-tag-fillin' hunting trip. We were entering a small town and were stopped in the middle of town by a police vehicle blocking the road. There was a fire truck nosed part way out of the front of station with the rear of truck still in the station. When the fire truck pulled out I couldn't believe my eyes! There was three firemen sitting on top of the hosebed and approx. 8-10 firemen on the back step holding on to anything they could including each other! I'm telling my wife to get the camera quick but we didn't have it with us, would have made a great "can you believe it" picture.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow, that is one photo I would love to see. Some of these stories are great guys, keep them coming.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

DFD420
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't agree with riding the stepbut in our comapny we have 29 member and only 5 spots without the back so its either drive your own vehicle or ride the step.

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would like to ride the tail once to a call just to say I did it but alas I don't want the 30 days suspension that will come with the 2 mins of fun!

TM-- the NFPA can't outlaw or make anything illegal all the NFPA does is make standards to what should be done and that's a whole other argument!

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Jim Hill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Seattle had reserve engines until 1992 and first line ladders until 1993 without crew cabs. After a fatality in (about) 1984 tailboard safety straps became mandatory and 16 1964-1969 Kenworth pumpers were retrofitted with crew cabs. The pumpers in use until 1992 were 1958 B-21 Macks. The type 21 had a longer hood than other Macks so a 1091 Hall-Scott would fit, much bigger than Macks own 707. The best spot to ride was on the right side of the tailboard. There you could see the 4 inch unmuffled exhaust when it blew flame. The blue spikes were neat looking and the yellow fireballs are very dramatic, really got the attention of traffic in the curb lane. I only got to ride the tailboard code red a couple of times and am proud to say I even rode in the snow once. You are a lot safer than a cop on a motor bike but it belongs in the past. Since the advent of the jump seat with built in SCBA it is slower on the fire ground (although in pre-SCBA days riding the tailboard was required on fire responses if the rig had jump seats, faster for hose evolutions) and numb fingers on a road grime coated body are not good for aid calls. But a big 1750 GPM Kenworth with three men on the tailboard sure looks like an Engine Company that means business!

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Charleston Engine 3, Roger Yow was the Driver, Larry Garvin the Capt. Going down Calhoun St. Me and Marty Cook riding the step (Back that is). Marty's trying to pull his gloves on and I'm yelling "Just hold on" Miss those days. Wouldn't do it now for a million bucks.

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I remember riding the backstep or tailstep 20 years ago when I first started this business and it was fun.We wore a harness just in case you slipped, and I froze my a#% off a number of times going to a barn fire in the winter,you're all covered with snow and half froze by the time you got there.But it was kind of neat riding through town on way to a call and everybody waving to you. It was especially neat to see the smoke of a good worker a mile away and to smell it when you were pulling up on scene.Looking back on it the backstep is just not a safe way to go today.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

I love how someone digs this post up about once a month. Thanks guys. Keep the responses coming. I am loving the stories.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47

DFD420
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department still rides the back and I think it should stop. but without it we can only carry 5 guys. Our company has 30 people for one truck. So we allow it. Does anyone know ifs its against OSHA or NFPA?

gunnyv
    Firehouse.com Guest

Never rode the step on fire apparatus, but did for 2 years on a garbage truck. I'm sure we drove just as crazy and fast on that thing as you guys did on apparatus. Fun when you're 20 and dumb, not so bright now. Winter sucks, rain sucks, bad drivers suck, too many bad things to make it worthwhile.

car48
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Oh yaaa! Tail Board, The good old days. I do miss it, well all but the bad weather rides. Over the years it was a great feeling to "bump up to a seat" with seniority. However now as an officer I'm driving my personal truck all the time. We still from time to time ride the back of the brush trucks in the woods.

Stay low
    Lt.

------------------

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

My bestfriend DFD420 as a valid point riding the back of the truck is very dangerous. I know of two men who fell off the back but where lucky they were not hurt. DFD420 and myself are in the same company. I'd like to take a second and say to DFD420 thank you for being the greatest friend and fireman. You truly put the pide in me to put towards firefighting your a very special friend and fireman I look forword to spending my time in fires with you
    thankyou DFD420 for the goodtimes and laughs DFD132

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks DFD132, very beautiful words. We all need friends like the friend you have. Peace all.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    Youngstown Fire Department

LisbonTrainingOfficr
    Firehouse.com Guest

The back step was the most fun you could have with your 3/4 boots on.
    Just watch out for the frost heeves
    Stay safe

WFDRescue2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Only being in this service fr just shy of a decade, My first seat was in the "jumpseat" directly behind the driver on the LTI's.

Recently, my department had an "Oh ****ter"
    (a massive, huge, enormous alram) that quickly went to an "all-hands" event. Pulling Reserve Engine 6 out of a 6 year retirment for pump ops I got to ride tailboard for about 2 miles. It really was something special...now I can say that yes.. I have ridden tailboard to a call..

------------------
    Rescue Squad #2
    "First In ~ Last Out"

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I can say that I have ridden the tail board once (and for a short distance!) We used to have a pierce engine with a 5" hose reel on the back. Well to lay in, someone had to jump out of the cab and onto the tailboard to operate the reel. We were on our way to a call and we were told to hit the hydrent at the coner. We did, but it was the wrong coner. So I was on the back and got to drive the rest of the way on the back. Something I will never forget.

Thread Information