Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    redmist
    Firehouse.com Guest

I guess I am the only one with no family history. I am 18, my father is a Real Estate Analyst, my Mom is a Psychologist, and my sister is a Farmer...go figure!

But I, most certainly, will be a Firefighter.

------------------
    ds932@bard.edu

RDWFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My twin brother and I are both firefighters in different states. He is also a paramedic. I will be moving to the same town as him (the town ain't ready for indentical twin firefighters) and working with the same volunteer department.

Be safe. The dragon lurks!!!

smokeyben1
    Firehouse.com Guest

G,day from down-under, I am a first generation firie as far as I know no other member has been a firie. We do have a tradition with the railways though; my dad, three brothers and two uncles as well.

DTHFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am third generation Firefighter. My grandfather was a fire marshall on a career dept. for 32 years, my dad was a Lt. on a career dept. for 20 years, I have been on a volunteer department for over 2 years now.

Stay safe out there

mamu86
    Firehouse.com Guest

First generation here, but both my brother and I joined. Might have to do with paying back to the community -three fires in the house in four years as a kid. Fire dept each time was able to save all family(and pets), minimize damage. Quite an impression on young kids...

firecat1524
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have family roots in the fire service too. I have two uncles that are active vollies, and one who just retired after 25 years as a vollie. Paid wise there's myself and my cousin who are both engineers for our county. In the future, well my 4 1/2 year old would rather play with his matchbox firetrucks than anything else.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

My dad was (and still is) an active volunteer in Montgomery County, Pa. with only 3 years of active duty in the Navy interrupting his continuous 44 years of service. He definetly encouraged me to join by taking me to parades (starting at age 4) work details, drills, etc....I joined at age 16 as a junior, became a full member at age 17, and an interior firefighter a week after my 18th bday. At the time my career interests centered around military aviation, but due to my eyes being too poor, that shot that down. I worked odd jobs here and there including fire equipment and extinguisher sales/service, until I got hired at a trucking company as an apprentice diesel mechanic. I was there for about a year and a half when I had the opportunity to get hired as a "Temp" firefighter in the US Govt (US Navy) at a base that was closing. The job was guaranteed for a year, with the likelyhood that it would last approx 2.5 years. I had a gamble on my hands...Stay in my job as an apprentice and have a secured job where I could work my way up? Or, take the risk that I could be let go in as little as 366 days??? I wasn't unhappy as a mechanic, but I just didn't have my heart in it. So I decided to take the gamble. I got hired into the Navy fire service, and worked for about a year and 3 months at the base that was closing. (Naval Air Warfare Center, Warminster Pa. Bucks County ENGINE 69 LIVES FOREVER!!!) Then the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard FD had some openings, so I tested with one other guy, and we were hired as TERM firefighters. About a year later, we were converted to full career firefighters. Not much longer after that, the shipyard eliminated the Truck company, laying off 11 of us. Hence my postion now in the Army fire service!!

(PS I am still an active member in the same dept. that pops got me interested in...Makes for some interesting arguments- he is somewhat of a dinosaur....And my children will be strongly encouraged to participate!!)

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

FLAME5
    Firehouse.com Guest

NO MOST OF MY FAMILY ARE COPS ALL OVER TEXAS.
    MY BROTHER STARTED AS A VOLLY, AND LATER GOT INTO THE CAREER END, I JUST FOLLOWED IN AFTER A YEAR OF COLLAGE (DIDN'T LIKE IT EVEN WITH A TRACK/CROSS-COUNTRY SCHOLARSHIP)I STILL FEEL IT WAS THE BEST MOVE. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I REALLY WANTED TO DO AFTER I GRADUATION.

"MAN IT MUST HURT TO BE OLD!"

CFDENG23
    Firehouse.com Guest

My father has been a volunteer for 30+ years almost twenty as the chief, my mother put in 15 years. I am a career guy with the city. At one point we all worked together at the volunteer dept. We always have stuff to talk about!

NJOUTLAW6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Well in my family my uncle serves as the Fire Cheif, my father is a 1st Lt., and my older Brother is a Firefighter. I am the Youngest i am a Cadet in my Dept. but I am slowly getting up the Ladder and following in my Family's Foot Steps.

------------------
    Thomas Parsons
    Eng #6
    "IN THIS LINE OF WORK FEAR IS NO OPITION!"
    "views that are posted are not to be held against the S.Amboy Fire Dept. they are my personal opinions."

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My dad had been doing it for about 30 years. I have been in for about 3 years now. My brother was also a memeber for a few years but he got married and moved away In my company we have several families involved in it. Firefighting is something that gets into a family and stays in it.

Jim Beutel
    Firehouse.com Guest

My mom's uncle was fire chief of Keyport, NJ fire dept. and I remember spending time there as a kid. When he retired, he gave me his helmet, and said he wanted me to have it in case I ever became a fireman. When I was 17, I joined Colonial Manor Fire Assoc., in West Deptford, NJ. I'm still there 12 years later.

The helmet, an old New Yorker, still hangs over my bed, and I'm sure Uncle Floyd knows and is watching over me...

Please pray for Jim Heenan, the brother injured in West Deptford at a dwelling fire New Years morning...

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

First in the line, but hopefully not the last...

axman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Both of my grandfathers were firemen, My dad is a fire captain/Emt, my brother is Firefighter/Emt and I am a Firefighter Emt, Myself and my brother are going to medic school together, It starts in about a week!

------------------
    STAY SAFE ALL OF MY BROTHERS.

Firefighter2197
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

You can say it is a family thing
    My dad is a 25 yr vet who is now my assn cheif and I am the newest interior ff in the dept. but have served for 3 yrs now
    2197 going strong
    stay safe and have fun fighting the monster
    2197 aka Fire Fighter Bradley Henderson
    Skyland Fire & Rescue

firegrl2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

when my grandmother was pregnat with my father she needed a blood transfusion. the man that gave her the blood was a firefighter. when my father was old enough to join the department he did so.thirty some years have gone by and he's still volunteering.i joined 4 years ago also as a volunteer,now not only am i his daughter, but also a coworker. i was hired in december as the newest paid firefighter in our department.
    my department also has a couple father /son teams and also a husband/ wife team!

SteamTrain
    Firehouse.com Guest

First gen here. Dad is a potato chip exec. Mama was a reporter, drug me around to big fires. The first biggun I remember was when she worked for the Aanderson Independant as the Greenwood, SC reporter. I think the fire was Beshears Tire Store. Thing burned for days. ANYHOOOO, back to the topic. I would love for my son to become a firefighter for my F.D. HOWEVER, we have this stupid nepotism policy that won't allow this. Such a waste, a lot of my F/F brothers & sisters kids would make fine additions to carry on the tradition. But due to a rule without logic, they can't do that.

------------------
    GOD is my Fire Chief, JESUS is my Incident Commander!

Fire416
    Firehouse.com Guest

Third generation F/F here. My grandfather started this tradition in the 1950's and my father and mother were both career volunteers for over 25 years each. I started when I was 16 as a junior F/F and now at 38 I am a Fire Division Major, Instructor and EMT-B and going to school for EMT-I. My wife has 5 years in and is a F/F and 1st. Responder. My oldest son is a F/F and both my younger sons are in the cadet program at our station. As you can see we are up to 4 generations and growing. Firefighting is definitly a family affair here. My god bless us all and everyone return to quarters 10-4.
    Pround member of Meadow Lake Vol. Fire Dept.

Brian McGowan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

My Grand father was a District Chief in Boston's Roxbury section, joining the dept. in 1902, retiring in 1945.
    Six of his nine sons also joined the dept. after WWII, serving in all sections of Boston. the last retiring in 1982.
    My father worked the South End and Roxbury as a Tiller man on Ladder's 13 & 30, retiring with a broken back in the 70's.
    In the 70's when I tried to follow the family traditon to Boston I was excluded due to quota's.
    But I was fortunate to be hired in a suburb south of the city.
    Now twenty-one years later I'm a Captain and shift commander.
    My two sons are talking about becoming firefighters when they grow up.
    I was never pushed to the job, but growing up with it I saw the joy, satisfaction, and heart ache it carries with it.
    Ladder 13's house lost five of the nine firefighters at the Vendome, and a year later my dads best friend, was killed at fire in Roxbury on Fathers day, leaving a family of six young children.
    There's nothing that carries you so high or low in the world, the bottom line is it is a very satisfying and noble profession.

sponge
    Firehouse.com Guest

My grandfather was a firefighter back in the 40's. My dad, my brother, and I are all firefighters.
    Both my old and current departments have several families in them. Some of those extended families have close to a dozen members in the dept.

Thread Information