Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jmk271
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Second generation firefighter here. Dad was a member for 10 years having served as high as Assistant Chief. His older brother is currently my captain. I also have two brothers on the department as well. Another brother will be joining in about 2 1/2 years.

------------------
    JMK271
    ***Stay safe out there***
    ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

cricket
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hopefully we have started a new family tradition. My husband joined as a volunteer and I was immediately bitten by the bug, 2 months later I joined the dept. also. A year later my brother and brother-in-law joined their local vol. dept. We have boys ages 2 & 4 and the fire hall is their favorite place to visit.

ThickSmoke3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

In small communities you will find more family members on a fire dept. My one uncle has 30+, my other uncle has over 25 years, both cousins have 18 to 20 years apiece. I have 12 years total. Always remember no matter where you in big city or small town a group of firefighters related or not are all FAMILY.

rumlfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

My father has been a volunteer for seventeen years. I have been a volley for five years and a career ff/emt for one and a half years. Not much else.

Brad Vosburg
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am envious of all the responses from multply generation firefighting families, since ours is 1st generation. But thats not to say we are not involved as a family. My older brother first joined a volunteer dept. in the early '80s. Then after a short break he and I both joined the Renner Volunteer Fire and Rescue Dept. in the early '90s, where he is currently the chief and I am the dept secretary. After several years of my involvment, my wife to got the bug and joined the dept as an EMT. Although my involvement for the last 8 years has been in firfighting and vehicle extracation, I to have recently completed an EMT course.
    My brother is also a paid firefighter/EMT/hazmat tech for the nearby Sioux Falls Fire and Rescue, and has 2 sons, 11 and 7. My wife, also a CPR Instructor, and I have a 1 y/o son and a 6 y/o daughter. They are all firehouse brats. My daughter has great interest in EMS already, she loves to whatch CPR training videos, and could proply teach others the technigue, and talks of one day being an EMT. Even at my sons young age with little exposer to the service, his favorite toys are the firetrucks. My brothers children both declare they will be firefighters.
    So all I can do is wait, and we to will hopefully be amongest the ranks of those with multiple generations involved.

LtStevieB82
    Firehouse.com Guest

Guess I'm sort of a rarity, but traditions must begin somewhere. The closest I got to the service as a kid was when my non-FF Dad took me to housings and a station in NYC while Mom shopped.

Many others in my station, though, are carrying on the line (chief and president are bros, fellow lt. is son of the pres., others...).

SWFD747
    Firehouse.com Guest

My father has been a volunteer fire chief and paramedic for 29 years. My brother is a paid firefighter / AO and is also a volunteer captain and first responder in my department. I have been going to the fire station and fire meetings all of my life. I joined the volunteer department back home at 18, and I am a volunteer FF where I live now.

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I am a third generation also. My grandfather, father, 2 uncle's, and a younger brother are all firefighter's at the same volly dept. I am the only one who is a EMT though. The firehouse has been a part of my life since I was 5 and my dad was letting my run with him to small fires on the trucks. That was the good old days. =o)

firebartman
    Firehouse.com Guest

As far as I know, no one prior to my father was in the fire service. My dad spent 34 years here, and retired as a deputy chief. I now have 19 years on (I am currently the Assistant Chief) and my youngest (our only boy) who is 12 has shown some interest. However my 5 year old grandson insist he will be a firefighter. We'll just have to wait and see.

MEDIC29
    Firehouse.com Guest

I AM SECOND GENERATION VOLUNTEER. MY DAD STARTED IN 1975 AND WENT TO THE RANK OF FIRST ASST CHIEF WHILE HOLDING ALL THE BUSINESS OFFICES. HE IS STILL VERY ACTICE AND WELL KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE COUNTY. I JOINED AS A JUNIOR IN 1991 AND MADE IT TO THE RANK OF LT. ALONG WITH ALL THE BUSINESS OFFICES. I THEN WENT FURTHER AND BECAME A PARAMEDIC IN 1995. I WAS MARRIED TO A WONDERFUL WOMEN IN 1997 WHO HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE VOLUNTEER FIRE SERVICE (WHAT A SHOCK SHE GOT). BUT LAST FALL SHE CAME TO ME AND ASKED IF SHE COULD JOIN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. THE BUG HAD GOTTEN TO HER!! SHE HAS BEEN IN NOW ABOUT 6 MONTHES AND IS LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. OUR 3 KIDS AGES 4,2,1 ARE ALL BOYS AND I THINK THEY KNOW MORE ABOUT THE FIRE TRUCKS THAN I DO... THOUGH OUR FAMILY TRADITIONS AREN'T CENTURIES OLD WE'RE JUST BEGINING NOW AND IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'LL GO FIR ALONG TIME. BEST WISHES TO ALL THE FAMILIES WHO KEEP THIS GREAT TRADITION GOING

THE NCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

The family "biz" started with my grandfather. He was a Captain with the Conway, SC FD then moved to Charleston, SC and became Chief of the St. Andrews FD. My father and uncles, both followed in his footsteps. My uncle became a FD chaplin and my father went on to become a Chief with the North Charleston District FD. Another uncle, my mothers brother started with the St.A.FD and later went to NC to go into the fire service there. I eventually went on to join the ranks and am now an Engineer with the North Charleston Fire Dept. there are 11 members of my department that have had fathers or grandfathers or both in the fire department in this area. We carry the proud tradition with us everyday!

------------------
    Grant Mishoe
    Engineer, Station #4
    North Charleston F.D.
    THENCFD Online!

[This message has been edited by THE NCFD (edited 01-09-2001).]

FCDave
    Firehouse.com Guest

My brother and I are both on the job. I am a part-time FF/EMT in IL, and he is a Firemedic in Oh. Can you guess what we talk about, when we get together? ha ha

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

My grandfather was an Airport Firefighter, and I was never really interested in firefighting until I was actually hired..... weird eh?

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

SyrFD110
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I am a third generation vol. and the only one in my family lucky enough to have made it a carrier also. My eight year old son, however has told me that he would rather be a professional football player than a firefighter. Go figure!

Dave

thunter16148
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My father joined a volunteer dept. in 1972 when I was just 3 years old.I was allowed to go to the station(as well as my older brother) from time to time after a fire and help clean hose and so forth.I was really fascinated with the idea of being a firefighter someday.I would put my father's boots and coat on (which outweighed me) and pretend I was fighting a fire.Finally the time came in 1987 when I was old enough to join.My brother had already been on for a couple years.At the time my father was fire chief but it still had to be approved by the membership.I am now a Lieutenant on the same dept. and I am looking forward to moving up in rank someday.
    All three of us are still active firefighters but I would like to see my father retire someday soon.

I invite you to look at my webpage I put together for the dept.at www.geocities.com/oakwood_vfd

Lt. Mike Speiser

capt6engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a fourth generation ff. I am a Captain on a career department in NC. My Great Grandfather helped to found the volunteer FD in my NJ home town in 1896! My Dad was also a volunteer their for many years. He passed away when I was 13 and I was not exposed to the FS much until after he passed. But, here I am anyway. I guess it is "in the blood".

nsgff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I am going to school next year to become a firefighter/paramedic. When I get on a department I will be a 3rd generation ff. I look forward to spending time with my old man and fighting some fires while I do it.

icewoman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I think the history of the Fire service speaks for itself. We are definitely a brotherhood/sisterhood. No matter where you go throughout the world, you are greeted with open arms from other firefighters.

Our Department insists on having a "nepotism" policy. They enforce it with even Uncles/nephews, married couples, grandkids etc.

This is not fair to our own children. God Bless and God speed. Be safe. 4 LODD's already and it's only 1/11/01.

------------------
    Michele Ice
    Firefighter
    Cobb County, Georgia

ltpete
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I would say, yes, it is a family thing. I'm a second generation fire fighter with 38 years at it and my two kids(adults to you younger people but kids to me)are both EMTS and firefighters.. even though we are a small department both of them respond when a call comes in..what can I say I'm proud of them and hope my grandkids follow in their parents foot steps too.

[This message has been edited by ltpete (edited 01-12-2001).]

Lt.Tim
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I was a young lad my father and an uncle were members of the Delaware Township Volunteer Fire Department in Lansing,Kansas. I joined the department in 1979 and am now a Lieutenant. Rick Huhn our Chief has a son on the department and so does Capt. Jim Murphy. We also had two of our members get married to each other. He had to quit when he got a job with the Leavenworth City Fire Department however his wife is still a member at Delaware Township. My second cousin is married to a guy that was on Delaware Township, he is now working with the Leavenworth Fire Department. Her grandfather is my uncle. I started my paid carrer at Kansas City International Airport with a contract fire service in 1982. There were two brothers working on the department. In 1985 I took a job with the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department, we have two brothers working there also. One of my nephews says that he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up. I reckon that this throws more fuel on the fire for the arguement that firefighting is a family thing. I can add some more fuel by saying that we are all one large family, we are brothers and sisters. How many times have you met a person for the first time and find out that they are a firefighter and you begin to feel that that individual is family. One of my fellow firefighters from Fort Leavenworth was on a cruise and met a fireman from New York City. They struck up a conversation like they had known each other for years. His wife could not believe it, they had just gotten married and this was their honeymoon. When she mentioned this to the other firemans wife she told her to get used to it because it happens all of the time. Bat. Chief Tventon of the Kansas City, MO Fire Department who died just over a year ago at a warehouse fire, had a father who was a Bat. Chief in that department. When the six firefighter in KCMO were killed in an explosion many years ago hundred of firefighters from across the nation came to their special service and the same for the five who died in Hoboken, NJ (I believe it was) that same year. When we hear of our fellow firefighters dieing we all stop and say a little prayer for them and their immediate family and for all the other firefighters that continue to do battle in this noble profession. So you see my brothers and sisters, volunteer and paid, it really is a famliy thing.

------------------
    Tim Mondero
    Lieutenant/Delaware Township Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Firefighter/Fort Leavenworth F.D.

Thread Information