chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile Firefighting--A family thing?

How many of us have kids who are involved or interested in the dept? My 14 yr.old daughter caught me by surprise yesterday. We stopped by the station for a couple minutes and she says "I love to come down here with you dad." My son who is 2 yrs. older could have given a guided tour of the place when he was 4 and could operate most of the equipment by the time he was 12.He is in our cadet program and I imagine she will be by next year. It does a dad's heart good to know your kids'are involved in something positive for the community.It's also a great way to have something in common with them that can certainly open up avenues of communication between parent and child.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My grandfather is a Firefighter for 50 years now. My father is the County Fire Chief, he has been in the FD for nearly 25 years now. I am a Firefighter/Emt-I for nearly 5 years. And my younger brother has been in the FD for a little over month now. When I was younger I would rather watch training videos than cartoons.
    I hope my children find the work inspiring when they are old enough!

Take care,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

fireater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I have a family history of firefighting. It starts with my grandfather who was a paid chief and has been in the fire servive for over 40 years and still going string in the servive, my father is a career capt. and has 20years in the service. My uncle is a capt. and has 15 years of service, my aunt has 13 years in the fs I have 4 years and my brother just joined so there are 6 of us in the service just in our area. That a family job.

------------------
    Stay Safe and remember to put the wet stuff on the red stuff

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Not to much of a deep Firefighting tradtion here it's z mix only two firefighters alot of teachers a Dentist, There is more of a teching trastion in my family but there are myself and my cousin who both are Firefighter's

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

CHF - I can't imagine a better way to spend quality time with your children!! We've always encouraged our firefighters to bring their young'ns to observe our training sessions. Our newest volunteer is engaged to a girl who "grew up" around the station. Our second-newest volunteer is married to a girl whose parents have always been involved in the fire dept. If you care about the future of your department, these youngsters need to be encouraged every way possible!!

dousaems
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have noticed that the family thing is quite common, especially in the volunteer aspect. My father joined the service as a vollie in 69, my step mother joined in the mid 70's. While I was growing up, I was a firehouse brat, and couldn't wait to join. I was a bit disappointed when I had to join a rival company in 91.
    Since then, I have mastered a lot, including FFI, HAZMAT Tech, EMT-P, and so on, surpassing my father. I will never forget the days he taught me so much on fire and EMS scenes. And I will also never forget the disagreements we have over patient care now. And it is funny, but I have to thank my father for the rest of my life....I met my wife in EMT class, and she is now a medic with me. If children ever come into our lives, I would definitely point them to this service.

------------------
    Todd Dousa
    NREMT-P, CCEMT-P

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

You see a lot of the "family thing" in my area. In my case, my father was a career firefighter in Philadelphia for 30 years at Engine 35. I spent many a Sunday afternoon there, going over every inch of the apparatus, hanging out in the rec room, and sitting at the watch desk. It definitely makes an impression!

------------------
    J. Black
    Firefighter

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Dad has been running with the Dept. since '75. So I grew up at the firehouse as did my brother. On my 18th birthday joining the Dept was the 1st thing. And my bro joined a little over a month ago.
    And we are not the only famliy combo in the Dept. either.
    And Fire Explores are NOT Firefighters. They are EXPLORERS.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

bfd1071
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a true forth generation firefighter. My family started on the job back in 1912. I have a 6 y/o son who is getting more and more interseted in the job. Who knows, can we say a fith?

McCloskey
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a 4th generation firefighter and my 5 uncles, my aunt(all on my dad's side) and my dad are all still active. Right now 2 of my younger brothers and myself are into it now. So it is definitely in the blood.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

2nd generation firefighter. My father is on the job 35 years on Truck Company 3. I am on the job 8 years on Truck Company 2. I have a 23 month old son. Who knows?

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

My father was with our department at its inception in 1967 and remained with it until his death in 1991. I joined in 1979 at 18 and my son signed on as a cadet last year and is now 18 and a firefighter. I am proud of 3 generations of Volunteers serving our community.

Good Luck
    Firehose

Andrew R. Duval
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my Department, there has been a member of my family on the roster/rollcall since the department was established in 1896! In recent years it has been my Grandfather , who was a Deputy Chief, My Father, who retired as Chief, my Uncle, who also retired as Chief, my 2 older brothers and now myself. My oldest brother has a 6 yoer old son who knows more about the department and apparatus than most of our members. My son is now 2 and absolutely loves going to the Firehouse.

------------------
    Rexcin

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

My grandfather (who passed away in Sept) was a retired career captain, my father is a career Asst. Chief due to retire in a little over a year, (both used to be vollies) I am a vollie Lt, and my brother is career & vollie. I have a daughter who will be two in January, and she absolutely loves going with me to the station, as well as visiting gramps at his station. My brother and his wife just had a baby boy, who's nursery is 100% firefighting stuff. (It's very cool, I'm jealous) You can bet that both of us are going to try our hardest to get them interested in community service. Corrupt em' young!

Lt.

RCJFD25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Im the 3rd generation for my family, My grandfather being a ff for over 50 years, over 30 of them as Chief, he was also County Fire Coordinator (1c1) for many years, my dad was a ff for about 30 years and was a line officer for about 20 of them ending in his last 5 years as chief, I just became a cadet last year and im waiting anxiously for the day i turn 18 to keep the family tradition going even further.

Shane Metcalfe
    Explorer LT.
    RCFD

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

When I was little, my dad was the chief for a volunteer dept. for about 10 years. Also a fire inspector, marshal, instructor, and a career ff for the military (civilian). My mom was also a ff, and so was my uncle. I fell for it as soon as I was old enough to understand what was going on, and soon logged as many work hours at the fire house as some of the members:-) I've been in for a little over a year and a half with no end in site.

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

DENGLEBERT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I HAVE BEEN A VOLUNTEER FOR 8 YEARS NOW AND AM CURRENTLY SERVING AS CAPTAIN. MY WIFE HAS BEEN FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS. WE HAVE A 10 YEAR OLD SON WHO LOVES THE FIRE HOUSE AND HOPE HE FOLLOWS IN OUR FOOT STEPS. MY WIFE JOINED THE FD IN A "IF I CAN'T BEAT HIM JOIN HIM" THEORY. SHE IS NOW AN ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER FOR THE FD AND DRIVES AMBULANCE FOR THE DEPT. SHE LOVES IF

------------------
    Emergency Services
    To Protect & Serve

bfd1071
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would say it is a family thing.

This is all 4 of my families generations on the firedept.

------------------
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

snowball
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello, Gramp's started in 1946, Dad started
    in 1963 I started in 1991, and my OLDER brother started in 1994. We are gonna try to
    keep this going
    snowball out!!

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I'm third generation. My grandfather, my Pop 25 years(recently retired) and me 16 years. I'm hoping that my son will one day carry the torch. He only has 17 years to go........

AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

------------------

Thread Information