Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Kentland, Is this place for real??

I've heard that this is the busiest volunteer fire department in the country. Is this true?...Is their web site accurate? www.kentland33.com It just doesn't seem possible that volunteers are handling that much call volume.

Thanks
    S.Sampson F/F EMT P
    New York State

RSQLT43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yhey sure are for real,you would have to see the area that they serve to understand their call volume, these guys have gone on a working fire early in the morning, and get picked up on two more workers before they get back to the station.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

They are the classic example of doing everything contrary to the norm to improve protection for their citizens. For that reason the IAFF is picking on them because they see them as a threat. Only in America does the brotherhoood of fire services attack each other when one department proves they are equal.

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to give them credit, they appear to run a lot of calls. BUT,

I have a question. In their website they say that they have two stations, 33 all volunteer, and another unmentioned.

Is this station staffed by paid FF's, does this other station's numbers play into the stats listed? I'm finding it hard to believe that a family would put up with their father being gone for 20 + calls almost every day of the year. Does every rig get a separate number? Are trouble alarms counted as runs?

I would be interested in hearing more but am quite skeptical.

firehound
    Firehouse.com Guest

These guys at 33 are without a doubt for real. Kentland does have 2 stations 33 and 46. 33 alone does around 6000 engine runs and 2000 truck runs with an all volunteer staff 24/7.

Some members actually live in the firehouse (I've heard around 15-20 live-ins) and they want nothing more in life than to go to fires. And that they do...it's not uncommon for 33 to run 3-4 fires a week.

They are the heart of PG County Maryland, and firefighters that the rest of us should look up too.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Yes fellas, there is a place called Kentland. It is staffed with the best VOLUNTEER FIREMEN GOD put upon this green earth. I cut my firefightin teeth on the streets of Landover Maryland nearly 22 years ago. The numbers are for real. These are real men kickin butt and takin names. But beware, these guys don't put up with any silly stuff, if you wanna go visit and see the best VFD in the land, make sure you are most humble. Their secret is just good old down and dirty interior attack firefighting. 33 FOREVER

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey guys,
    Since someone brought it up, what is the live-in program like? I once thought about transfering to U of Maryland, which I understand a lot of the live-ins do. I changed my mind when I gave up on majoring in fire science or emergency management. How far is Ketland from D.C.? Thats where I am heading after college, and think that beign a vollie there would be great. Any body that can help me out, thanks.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

PASCOM826
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I know a guy from a neighboring dept who used to be on Kentland. To this day, he is one of the most intense firefighters I have ever met. He is also one of the most knowledgeable guys I've met when it comes to apparatus construction. These guys are definately for real, and have probably earned every bit of their reputation. Prince Georges county is apparently a very well run entity. I love where I am now, but hey...who wouldn't love to be on a company that gets a lot of work?

truck197
    Firehouse.com Guest

I had the honor of riding with the guys at station 33 a few times and I was awestruck at the uniform level of education, intensity and experience of every member who I had the opportunity to interact with. I saw a brotherhood, in every sense of the word. I felt that these men had intense respect for each other, Kentland, and the Job. Believe what you have read...these guys are legit.

TruroFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Joe-
    Kentland, that is station 33, is just outside Washington. (The US Air arena is in their first due area as well)Their tower truck did a station fill in at one of the DC stations last month because of multiple fires in the Washington area. This put them as the first due truck at the White House...They are close...And College Park, where U-Maryland is, is also protected by a volunteer department, company 12 I think it is...

I also wanted to ask...Their seems to be a lot of animosity towards volunteers in PG County, particularly Kentland. There were rumors that Article 43 (I think it was 43) in the IAFF local's policy (naming volunteer depts. as rivals) was targeted at Kentland. For the life of me, I don't understand this...Could someone in the greater PG area explain this to me....?

BTW- A little elf told me Code 3 is planning to do a model of Tower 33 for release in February...

[This message has been edited by TruroFAO (edited 11-27-2000).]

Tentruck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

SSD you should get your head out of your rear, you sound like a moron. Communist IAFF, where do you get that from? The volunteers at Kentland are probably some of the best firefighters I have ever seen, but I bet if ya really look, a lot of them belong to the IAFF, because they are DC Firefighters. The fight is between the career firefighters in PG who have a problem with the DC firefighters volunteering in PG. The PG firefighters are the ones who brought that resolution forward to the IAFF, the IAFF as an orginization did not go after the Kentland Firefighters, so get a clue before you spout off at your ignorant mouth again. No offense to the fella's from 33, I know that you guys are every bit as good as they say.

Skidz
    Firehouse.com Guest

SSD,

It is post like that cause Career and Volunteer personnel to not get along. We are both here to do a job. I could care less if Kentland is a better company. The bottom line is are they doing their job. Are they working with both sides of the P.G.County Fire/Rescue Services with Professionalism. I know some firefighters on the career side who are not the most professional. It goes both ways, but we dont need people like you stirring the pot of Sh*t and making things worse.
    Just my opinion.

SKIDZZ

------------------
    PROUD, PROFESSIONAL, PROGRESSIVE

Montgomery County Division Of Fire/Rescue Services
    Member IAFF Local 1664
    esfpd444@starpower.net

Skidz
    Firehouse.com Guest

Amen Tentruck.

SKIDZZ

------------------
    PROUD, PROFESSIONAL, PROGRESSIVE

Montgomery County Division Of Fire/Rescue Services
    Member IAFF Local 1664
    esfpd444@starpower.net

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hello All,

Kentland is a very real and very special place. I am from New York and have been around the fire service all my life. I have seen the best and worst as departments go. When I heard about Kentland many months ago I was skeptical, but when I went there I was awestruck. This is without a doubt the most professional Volunteer company in the world.. and every bit as busy as the numbers say. It is pointless to chase fires in Kentlands area, the fires go out too fast.

About the code 3 models.. They went on pre order last week for club members, they will go on sale to the general public (pre-order) this week or next. The price will be 64.99 I believe. they will be shipped in early January. If Code 3 gets good feedback for the tower I will then try and get them to do E-331, but it was hard enough to push TW33 as it was. Keep an eye on www.kentland33.com and www.code3.net for moe updates.

Keep Safe and Keep Low

Matt Lund

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

SSD: Do you know where you "Caps Lock" key is on your keyboard? All caps is annoying and gives the impression that you are shouting.

Then again, what else would you expect from someone who takes pride in a yellow metro! JUST JOKING!!!! I am only busting your stones about that last one SSD, so don't get all ****ed off.

Ross Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yes Kentland is a real place and yes they do run that many calls. Kentland is a firefighting buffs wet dream as they get on average 10-20 calls a day(last week they ran 2 days over 30). It is not unsual for them to run 3-4 working fires in 24 hours. They sit near the DC line in a heavily populated area. The station is always manned with at least 4(usually around 8) and many of the members and live ins are Career firefighters with maryland area departments. And for all of you who still do not believe, go to there website www.kentland33.com and go to the live audio feed. They are company 33 with Tower 33 engine 331 332 minipumper 33. You should not have to listen long before you hear them going. You can hear how a proper communcations system should work with the full implementation of incident command. We have PG county on our scanner in our station and have the time its so busy we lock it out . Be safe!

------------------
    Gettysburg Fire Department (PA) FF/NREMT-B
    Brookside Engine Company,Div of Mendham Twp Fire Dept(NJ) FF
    Mendham Twp EMS EMT-B
    These views are my own and do not reflect those of these departments

[This message has been edited by Ross Johnson (edited 11-27-2000).]

TruroFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

I came across Kentland's website about 15 months ago when a followed a link from Hyatsville's website. No doubt, Kentland is among the best departments out there, volunteer or paid. I have a deep respect for lots of the volunteer departments in PG county, like Laurel, Kentland, Hyattsville and several others...It really takes a special breed to do that...Station 33 also has Engine 333, which is a rescue-engine, and I think I've been hearing an 'Engine 334'?

Skidz-
    If memory serves, Montgomery County is relatively close to PG? Maybe not.. Anyway, I forget if I asked you in another thread, but how are things in Montgomery as opposed to PG?

Hats off to 33's....

Be safe...

Administrator

Just a reminder to all forum members:

Personal attacks on other members for their opinions are not tolerated, especially when racial or explicit terms are used.

Several posts have been deleted from the thread. If this activity continues, it will be shut down.

Thank you
    WebTeam

Pete Lund
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

On the topic of "is Kentland for real" -- let me say this. I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 30 years and an FDNY firefighter for over 27 years. Needless to say my background is diversified to say the least! Kentland (and P.G. County for the most part) is not your typical "home response" so put that out of your mind...no one is leaving work or home twenty or thirty times a day. Their live-ins are the backbone of this highly qualified and extremely competent department. There is very little that says "volunteer" about their operations either. About the only thing that says that this place is "volunteer" is the lettering on the sides of the trucks. Their fireground operation is as professional as ANY paid department in the country. The operations in P.G. County are unlike what you might expect to find even in the most sophiticated departments in the country and the Kentland people are truly unique -- their espirit de corps and aggressiveness are unparalleled in any place I have ever visited.

Is the website for real? You bet! And the great part about Kentland is that you will probably never find them bragging about themselves in a forum like this -- that is just not their style. They have people like me who have had the pleasure of being a guest there and seeing this place first hand to speak for them; a person who has no vested interest in the place other than that I am in awe of it...it is the kind of place that I wish I had learned about 20 years ago when I was still young and carefree!

Pete Lund
    Lieut., FDNY, Rescue 2

Ex-Chief, Woodmere (NY) F.D.

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

They are everything they say they are. It may be difficult to believe, but I guess it is one of those things that you have to see to believe. You all have the ability to listen to PG County live and listen to the activity. Come to your own conclusion from what you read and hear.

[This message has been edited by DED1645 (edited 11-29-2000).]

jeffbogden
    Firehouse.com Guest

Kentland is a group of guys you have to see/talk to to understand. I had the honor of taking a extrication class one of the chiefs and a FF helped teach. You can learn a lot from those guys, they carry the theory of"actions speak louder than words" Not braggarts by any means but very down to earth guys and professional in any sense fo the word...known all over for a very aggressive attitude and attack, Keep up the good work guys

KVFD Volunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Kentland is a place that you have to experience to know what goes on there. I am proud to say that I have made that experience and would not trade it for anything in the world. There are many dedicated people at Kentland and I am proud to be in the company of those people. Thanks to all the people for the continued support of the Kentland Volunteer Fire Dept.

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was just reading the history of the Kentland FD on its website and something popped into my mind. I was wondering how is their Fire Prevention there? They seem to have an awful lot of real fires (as opposed to false alarms). In my community, as part of our program we go to the elementary and middle school in our area. We are thinking about even going to the high school next year. We accredit a drop in the number of real fires we have to our Fire Prevention. For example, we used to get tons of brush fires every year. Now I can probably count on both hands the number of brush fires we have had over the last few years (including going to mutual aid calls).

Im Lawnboy
    Firehouse.com Guest

The truth about Kentland. Yes they do run alot of calls, and yes, they do catch a lot of fire.

1. The Members.
    Many of PG County utilize live in members, as the whole concept of neighborhood members are dwindling. The Live Ins do run the majority of the calls. College Park, Branchville, Berwyn Heights, Hyattsville, and Chillum Adephi are all nearest to the University of Maryland at College Park campus.

2. The stations.
    There are 2 Kentland stations.
    33-the one they boast on their website, and
    46-the one only heard about in the stats.
    33 Is staffed by all volunteers. 46 Is staffed M-F 0700-1500 by a career staff of 6 Pg County Firefighters Paramedics, and the rest of the time by 3 Pg County firefighter paramedics.

3. The Units.
    33- Runs 3 Engines, and sometimes a fourth from 46 if they have the staffing. A Tower, and a mini-pumper.
    46- Runs 1 or 2 Engines, an Ambulance and an ALS Paramedic unit (PG County Staffed)

4. The call volume.
    When counting stats, 33 includes 46's totals, including the ALS Medic unit and the ambulance.
    Ask how many calls the Medic Unit and Ambulance alone run.
    Ask how many times the Engine from 46 fails and the ambulance goes driver only (the career firefighter) while 33 is Triple Pulling.

5. Fires.
    They do see fire, but not as much as people make it out to seem....there are times when they do catch a job returning from another job, but it is not a normal thing.

6. IAFF.
    They are not picking solely on Kentland. PG Local 1619 is picking on all the volunteers in the county. Kentland is just showing the union they are not deterred by them, for this they should be commended.

7. First Due.
    The USAir Arena is in 46's first due.
    FedEX Field is in 33's first due.
    Six Flags is not in their first due as their website says.

8. Location.
    They are right outside of DC, where DC makes the right angle on the East side...follow it out like 5 miles east.

9. Actions.
    I have not ran any calls with them, so I cannot comment on the quality of their work. I can, however say that one of their Captains was involved with a career firefighter in a fight, on a fireground!

They are fast! When getting on a firetruck, they waste no time. This is commendable as well.

Is Kentland the most professional Volunteer Department?
    Since most of Kentland's members are Professional firefighters in neighboring departments, this statement may be accurate? I don't think so though. I urge you to make your own decisions though based on first hand accounts.

Is Kentland a better Fire Department?
    Since the same live-ins run the majority of the fires that Kentland runs, this would make them more proficient in their duties. Better, is left to be determined by who you are measuring them against. We all do the same job.

[This message has been edited by Im Lawnboy (edited 11-29-2000).]

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lawnboy, Thanks for your fairly accurate assessment of best of the volunteer's bravest but, you've got your facts wrong on the amount of activity. i.e. runs.
    Engine Co 33 ran 6584 runs for 1999 and was the busiest in the country.
    Engine Co 46 was 4th busiest in the county with 2034 runs in 1999. Tower Co. 33 did 1347 in 1999. As you can see if the runs from 33 & 46 were combined they would be 9991 runs for kentland not counting the 2693 runs for 46's ambulance.

As for the question on prevention. Kentland is located in a poverty stricken neighborhood and has a large minority population. These are just two of many sociatial factors that guarantee a large amount of fire duty. Thats true anywhere in this Nation. The fire house has a cornerstone placed in 1959 listing four basic values the the department still holds dear to this day. 1. Prevention 2. protection 3. Progress 4. service

Tell me how many fire departments were even thinking of prevention in 1959.......Enough said..............Jake

Thread Information