Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SC E-5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb HELMET RESEARCH HELP NEEDED!

HI ALL, WE ARE RESEARCHING THE NEW ASSUALT/EUROPEAN STYLE HELMETS. WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON DEALERS/PERFORMANCE OR ANY THING ELSE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP US WITH. ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY
    APPRECIATED.

THANKS AND STAY SAFE.

fayette dist #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Geez where to start my griping????
    Our department purchased 4 to try and passed them out to the 4 front line guys. Well, I got one and tried to accept it with an open mind. Now six months later 2 firefighters including myself have been burnt by tar running down the neck (and I had my gear on right) and if I hadn't been wearing my old bullard firedome a falling hoseline off the roof would have taken off my neck. One of the helmets have cracked already and 2 have broken at the chin strap assembly. To me they seem too hot when just wearing them around. The face shield fogs up much easier when down because it is so close to your face. Anyways the chief ordered 8 more and is trying to "make" us wear them and take our firedomes. I'm a volunteer and have always been told I'd never have to do something I fell is unsafe so I'm gonna fix him, I've got a leather on the way. Long story short I don't trust them and refuse to wear it.

Just my thoughts, stay safe.
    Lt. James Woda

PS If you've never seen this helmet click here http://www.lionapparel.com/psg/assault1.html

[This message has been edited by fayette dist #1 (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by fayette dist #1 (edited 12-13-2000).]

Capt68
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

For the love of God don't do it ... you'll never forgive yourself!!!!!!

------------------
    62 Engine 67 Truck

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Why in the world would you want to wear one of those?
    A busy company in my dept. was asked to try them. In the interest of being open minded they reluctantly agreed, knowing they would be the target of some serious ball busting. (in case you haven't noticed, they look as queer as a three dollar bill) Well, everytime they got up close on a good working job the thing started making noises like a popcorn machine popping - the foam stuff in the middle was literally cooking!
    One good American fire and the Euro Helmet was destroyed. They were returned to the dealer with a polite, "thanks but no thanks" reply.

jcs077
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

If they get some heat the face shield becomes deformed and you can't draw it back up into the helmet either! I would say no thanks, and keep wearing my cow!

John Stauffer

Kyle Wickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

LEATHER!!!!!!!

tg2583
    Firehouse.com Guest

I wouldnt do it.....LEATHER FOREVER

------------------
    You lite 'em, we fight 'em
    BE SAFE OUT THERE.

tg2583
    Firehouse.com Guest

I wouldnt do it.....

Reading some of the preveios post, I would have to agree with everone and say you will probably regret it. LEATHER is always a good chioce!!!

------------------
    You lite 'em, we fight 'em
    BE SAFE OUT THERE.

robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

one word... TRADITIONAL (leather or poly.)

dannykay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

The only way I would wear one of those is, if I got to keep the F-14 that comes with it.
    Look what happened to Goose

Kyle Wickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

hahahahahahaha goose, hahahahahahahaha

CFDENG23
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't wear a fire helmet on my motorcycle therefore why would I wear a motorcycle helmet into a fire?

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

While looks aren't everything, we can make an exception here... I wouldn't touch one of those helmets with a 10 foot hook. There's a reason leather helmets have been around so long... it's called durability. 'Nuff said...

[This message has been edited by lumpy649 (edited 01-05-2001).]

CVFD26
    Firehouse.com Guest

is there anybody that actually like these besides me and some of the others on my dept

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I think those European Style helmets and the Metro helmets are cool.... If you want an NFPA compliant candy dish on your coffee table. And another thing... Those Phenix First Due Helmets they wear out west look just as flimsy as those construction helmets the kids get with those new Tonka toy kits.

Oh well - here we are again (and I swore that I would never get involved in this topic)
    LEATHER
    1. Those that speak to leather fire helmets need to get their act together. It seems like every time someone has a chance to have some statements in print the speak to the benefits of leather it is just a loudmouth proby type that states in total, "Leather Forever" (meaningless) or in Newsday once - on the front page, "Plastic is just not Firemanny!" whew.
    Get the records of hundreds of years of heavy structure firefighting from Boston, NY City, Chicago, San Francisco and try to make a control analysis of injuries and helmet distructions.

I have no clue why Firehouse bounces you before you finish in any event.
    I have seen newer plastic helmets melt, crack in half with a "hit" from a structural falling object of no more than 12 feet, crack with someone standing on it, melt through by dripping hot liquid, and jar the wears head unmercifully when coming in contact with an imovable object.
    3. I am from the 60's 70's 80's and some of the 90's and have more than 30,000 alarms to which I wore the same helmet. It sure does not look as nice as the day it was fitted for $25.00 but it left the job with me and I never - never got a head injury while wearing it! Strange!
    4. Next is marketing - did anyone ever research where the first plastic helmet come from? And who made the success of it? It seems like anything that works well in this job, AND lasts longer than a single firefighters career is not in the interest of marketing. The sad part is that most of you that are interested and experienced in this job reinvent the old stuff back into focus. Look at hand tools, nozzles, personal lights, gloves, and more.
    I swore I would not get into it but this is just an opinion from an old firefighter.

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

CVFD, I don't think you have any support in here. 111Truck is right about those composite helmets. I have seen a lot of them break. Yes they are cheap and they are lightweight, but are proven not to hold up in most cases. My leather protects me better than those punch bowls... Now if I can get my new department to side with me.

I AM WITH YOU ROBBIE " TRADITIONAL"
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Talking

I have been doing this sh*t for forty years and I have seen all the probies come and go with their brand new soup bowls (latest & Greatest) but I have never had a leather drip or run. I think you will find that less than one tenth of one percent of injuries are head impact, of course unless you have a collapse, then ain't nothing gonna save your *** or should I say head. Leather may shrink or shrivel but there will be no runs, no drips, no errors

Just my 2 cents

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: pres41 ]

Thread Information