Thread: oops!

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face oops!

Has anyone ever accidentally laid a line while going to a call?

This happened to my Department yesterday. Engine 1 was responding to a fire alarm activation at the Kane Self Storage facility on Bolton Street. They hit a bump in the road, which caused the hydrant gates to come off the truck, and they laid 1600 feet of 3" line up Route 85...at 8:00 AM...rush hour.

There was no other fire apparatus behind Engine 1, and they did not see the hose come off the truck. The Police reported that Engine 1 lost it's line. A second engine was dispatched to cover Engine 1 while they turned around to retrieve their hose. Traffic was tied up for a while.

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Actually Capt. I can say that this has happened to my station in the past. We have between 2 engine 3000' of 5". 1500 on each. And we have accidentally dropped 1500', but it was luckly on a side road and not a major roadway. We also in a mutual aid call dropped 1500' from a dead hydrant that wasn't marked. We had to special call our second engine to lay in from a good hydrant.

------------------
    David DeCant
    Firefighter/NREMT-P
    New Jersey, USA
    Career or volunteer we are all brothers. Just feel good for the good you do for others.

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

hehehehehe. That will happen to every department and everyone eventually. If it isn't happening to your dept, laugh your *** off, but keep in mind, it will happen to you eventually.

Matt

AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Capt.

We lost 500' of 5" with a manifold down the centerline of the highway while responding to a woods fire a few years back. Straightest hoselay I've ever seen. Manifold didn't fare too well.

I've heard tell of an engine company in a nameless Virginia city that lost 1500' of 5' on the interstate while returning from a call. A while later the batallion chief calls and asks them where their hose is. They answer "On the back of the engine". BC says "You better check again, I'm out here on the interstate looking at it, Come on out here and pick it up. I suspect that the language may have been a little more colorful.

I saw a picture of a crosslay that came loose and the nozzle got wedged between the rear tires. NOT GOOD!!!!! Don't try this at home!!!!

Sounds like nothing hurt but pride!!

Jim

JAMESBENNETT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I think I have told this story before, but here it goes anyway.

We had just finished putting all the equipment on our new engine in November of "98" and we were all standing around talking about how we were ready to put it to the test! Just then we caught an alarm for a car fire at Taco-Bell a couple of miles from the house. We jumped in and away we went. About a mile from Taco-Bell we heard a B.P.D. officer ask us if the hydrant at Taco-Bell was out of service. We were so proud of responding in the new truck that we never saw the hose come off. Lucky for us we only laid 500' of the 1500' that we had just put on the truck not two hours before. Engine-1 covered the alarm while we put the hose back on the truck. For a month after that every time the chief would check in route he would advise, "Chief-1 in route, Engine-3 bring your water from the station!"

The good part was we had been using 4" supply until we got this truck, and we had never laid 5", so we didn't know if would be any different. I am here to tell you that 5" lay's real well at 35 mph.

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Company40
    Firehouse.com Guest

A neighboring department responed to a structure fire and layed about 1000' of 5". After packing the hose on, the truck returned to the station. About halfway there, the 5" came off the truck. The hosebed had to be loaded a second time that day. Not very fun.

Fire Line
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We haven't laid hose entroute to a fire. I laid 1000' of 4 inch along the fog line while returning to the hall after practice. Luckily there was a couple of guys still at the hall so I didn't have to broadcast over the radio for help. On the upside we got a new fire fighter out of it and I won the DUMB LUCK award.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Someone forgot to tell one of our pump operators that there was a problem with the hydraulics on our Engine with the hose reel.

The main primer is hydraulic powered and was "out of service" till a stuck valve could be replaced -- we where to use the electric primer instead.

He kept pulling the control for hydraulic powered primer...and spun 2500' of 5" hose off the reel and into a jumble behind the truck while trying to figure out why he wasn't pulling a prime...

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

While enroute to a chimney fire (2nd due piece)with possible extension last year command ordered me to tag the hydrant on my way in, so we bagged what I thought was the last one, 800 feet later I found out there was a hydrant right in front of the residence.
    Live and learn!

------------------
    David Brooks,
    FFII, Driver/Op, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire
    (All opinions are my own)

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Capt G., you are making me have a relapse of a very bad nightmare.

About 3 years ago, I worked a shift where we had a thunderstorm come through the Hanford Site at about 0300 hours and the lighting caused a pretty much site wide shutdown of the electrical system. The wind was blowing at about 50++ mph.

This in turn caused about 50-70 trouble condition(s) alarms, box alarms, and whatever else could have happened.

After being out with 2 engine companies, 2 medics, and the BC we got everything running again around 0530. Great, off to station we go.

Got back to the station and we get a call from the local law enforcement about some hose laying in the middle of the road.

What hose I ask, the dispatcher says the large yellow rubber hose in the middle road on 4th Street.

I run to the back of our 1993 Pierce 65' Telesquirt thinking no way this could never happed to me and then see the most empty bed of 5" LDH I have ever seen. 1000' of hose gone without a sound, spark on pavement, or anything.

I then got the not so pleasant duty of waking everyone back up, getting back out to the "scene", rolling up all that hose, loading it into a pick-up truck, going back to the station and reloading the bed with new hose, just in time for the next shift to come in around 0730.

As near as we can figure we went over a railroad crossing, bumped the hydrant condition loose and the wind and weight did the rest.

I laughed then and I still laugh about it now, OH I Hate The Thought.

Zimm

Mike DeVuono
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Been there...Done that!!!

------------------
    Mike DeVuono

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Been there...done that...with Mike D.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We had a habit of loosing our new 1-3/4" from the crosslays. The used 1-3/4" would stay no problem, I guess the new just wasn't used enough yet!

dtj
    Firehouse.com Guest

been there ... done that ... on the airport flight line ... blamed it on the other shift for racking the hose.

[This message has been edited by dtj (edited 12-15-2000).]

Capt68
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

About 2 years ago a neighboring department put their new engine in-service. The next day we caught a worker and called for their engine to make an assist. As they called en-Route they said, "Engine 203 Pride of the Fleet is responding". A minute later you heard them call "Engine 203 start the next in Engine we lost all of our Five inch." .... oops

------------------
    62 Engine 67 Truck

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

A couple of years ago had a firefighter going through the Driver/Operator course and decided to go out for a drive one tour. This new driver was going up a reletivley steep hill. The driver hit the brakes and the load of 3" hose fell out the back of the engine about 6'. The new driver was just worried that he was going to have to reload the whole bed by him self and it was going to take the rest of the tour. The all wise and knowing Capt just said "Oh my hell, just go to the top of the hill and turn around and hit the brakes going down". The plan worked well, just make sure your buckled up when they do that!

Take care,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

LFD2203
    Firehouse.com Guest

went through that a few years ago. third shift laid 1000' 4 1/2" down the interstate. the last coupling wrapped the top grab bar, bent it out to a perfect V. pulled the rear spotlight/warning light uprights over to almost 75 degrees. they say the hose is never laid as straight as it is at 65 mph. rubber straps (we don't use hose bed covers) across hose bed required now.

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Never laid a supply line, but I have had the nozzleholder let go of a 1 3/4 inch preconnect and have 200' of it trailing behind the engine. Not real good for the knob...

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Gonzo, Gonzo, Gonzo

Do you feel alone? You're not.

A while back, an MPO, I'll call him Gary, because that's his name, made a hard turn onto Francis Lewis Blvd. The 50' of preconnected 3 1/2" supply hose came loose from the running board. As you know, it naturally went under a parked car tire and ripped the side panel off our rig along with the gate, fittings and a good portion of the pump.
    Anyone who thinks hose rated at 250# is basic stuff and not that strong would change his mind at the scene of this investigation.

JBROWNL8
    Firehouse.com Guest

1000' of 5 inch came off our L2 which is a Sutphen 100'Tower at 55 mph. Needless to say the bucket didnt fair to well after that beating.

Stay safe. JB

Fireplug99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, I can laugh now. Many years ago the pumper I was crew chiefing laid 1600 ft of 3" supply line....2 miles before we got to the scene. Turned out to be a working fire. Took a while to live that one down. One of the many speed bumps in life.

pipeline
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

while returning from a false alarm my company dropped 1000 ft of 5' down the middle of the highway during the lunch rush hour traffic i looked out the window and there were cars dodging to the left and right behind us we had to call the paid co. from the next town to help us pack it all up

------------------
    the views expressed here in no way reflect the feelings of any organizations that i belong to

Fire29_1999
    Firehouse.com Guest

I did not have the privilege of this happening to me but it did happen to someone else here, luckily it was coming back from the garage after a repair and not enroute to a fire, I can say that 1000ft of 5in LDH with only 2 people to load can't be any fun on the side of a major highway (they wouldn't call for any help)
    stay safe

thermal2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hey we've all done it from a preconnected crosslay to the big supply line to even a side mounted fire extinguisher. Luckily no one is injured and it makes for a good laugh. The only thing with being on a volunteer department there usually isnt any other shift to blame it on. Oh well were only human.

jmk271
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I not real sure if we'd accidenatlly laid line, but I do know that once in awhile a compartment door will not be closed tight enough and come open after crossing railroad tracks, etc...

------------------
    JMK271
    ***Stay safe out there***
    ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

Thread Information