Firehouse.com Guest

Question First tools off on a working fire?

I was curious as to what tools you like to come off with when on the first in engine or truck company?

OFDLUIT33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm on a volunteer department and usually have the same five men on the engine at night. Officer(me) takes a haligan bar, FF1 flat head axe and a hand light, FF2 pick head axe and a 6 foot pike pole FF3 nozzle. Some assighments may vary due to conditions and what necessary tasks need acomplished.

------------------
    The views here are mine and do not reflect that of my department or any of it's members.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

First Engine

Officer supervises, calls for particular size line and takes a handlight.
    FF 1 takes the nozzle and 50' of hose.
    FF 2 takes enough hose to allow FF 1 to reach fire floor
    FF 3 is the pump operator.

First Truck

Officer supervises and takes irons and a handlight.
    FF 1 takes a 6' hook, a 2 1/2 gallon water can, and a handlight. FF 1 and officer are inside team.
    FF 2 takes a 6' hook, a halligan and a handlight and is the outside vent man.
    FF 3 is the chauffeur and will ladder the building with aerial and/or portable ladders. May also team up with OVM and go to roof with roof saw.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

[This message has been edited by FitzBFDT2 (edited 01-01-2001).]

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Each firefighter is supposed to take a hand tool (axe, halligan, pike pole) with them when the enter the structure, along with the line. I prefer to take the halligan bar for its multi uses. Besides, I always sit on that side of the apparatus and get to it first!

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

Pastor Dawn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

In all seriousness, my MIND is the tool that I want to come off the truck with me first. When we pull up to a structure, I want to see if it's a ranch, a split-level, a commercial building.....you get the drift. I don't want to get caught up in the excitement of the moment, I want my brain engaged and working on ways in and ways out. But as a rule, I usually grab three things on my way in to the structure, a hand-light, a flat-head ax and the haligan.

**my remarks in no way reflect the policies of my department or association or district**

TXFIRE6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

My engine makes a structure fire just about every shift, but its not uncommon to make 2-3 in a 24 hour period. If I am acting Lieutenant, I want my brain with me and a pick-head axe. The Firefighter has the nozzle,and we make entry. Every situation is different, but thats it for a first in structure, a pike pole would probably come off if it looked like extension not the attic already. It's hard to make do with just 3-man companies, but we get the job done.

------------------
    Any Opinion expressed, are my own, and do not reflect my Department...RB

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Engine; Halligan, 8 LB flathead, 6' hook and the can. Remember to bring hose.

Truck; Halligan, 8 LB Flathead, Hydroram, Hook long enough to make the ceiling and the thermal Camera. 8 LB pick LA Trash Hook 8' and the saw to the roof. Bring ladders.

Remember Buildings burn down. Don't be in it when it does.

[This message has been edited by John_Ford (edited 12-31-2000).]

Skidz
    Firehouse.com Guest

A.4. First Due Engine Company
    Equipment- All personnel must wear full PPE, in IDLH atmospheres, SCBA must be used and PASS devices activated. The crew must carry handlight(s), a portable radio, tools, hose, and other equipment appropriate for the structure's construction and operational tactics.

So, First Due, my job is to bring the water(hose) and, anything else the officer wants.

E.3. First Due Truck Company
    Equipment- All personnel must wear full PPE, in IDLH atmospheres, SCBA must be used and PASS devices activated. The crew must carry handlight(s), a portable radio, tools, hose, and other equipment appropriate for the structure's construction and operational tactics.

So, First Due, Irons, Hydra-Ram, Thermal Imager, maybe Da Can, and a Pike Pole. I like to bring a lot to the front door so I know it is close. And anything else the officer wants.

A.4. and E.3. are verbatim from Montgomery County Fire Rescue Commission P&P 24-07 AM Section 5 Initial Operations IV Structure Fire Assignment

------------------
    PROUD, PROFESSIONAL, PROGRESSIVE

Montgomery County Division Of Fire/Rescue Services
    Member IAFF Local 1664
    esfpd444@starpower.net

fireman_1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

On my dept. both cross lays are taken off by the 4 men in the back. The incident commander (in front) grabs the positive pressure fan on the way up to the structure. The driver is pump operator. Then when the second truck arrives axes and all other needed materials come off.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

When minimully staffed:
    Engine 3 FFs
    Officer: Radio, Light possibly FE tools
    Driver: Pump Operator
    FF: Stretches attack line

Anybody above helps stretch line and one FF will bring FE tools and one to layout.

Truck 4 FFs
    Officer: Radio, Halligan Light
    Driver: Throws Ladders, acts as an outside vent man, possibly roof man
    FF: Forcible Entry (Irons Hydra Ram)
    FF: Hook and a Can
    Two FFs and Officer act as the search team.

Anybody else above this takes tools for other various truck duties and assumes some of the responsibilities (OV, etc) as mentioned above.

rfd241
    Firehouse.com Guest

Engine- attack line, raido, hand lights, irons, and possibly a second line if enough manpower.

Truck- LADDERS, radio, light, irons, hook&a can, saws and hooks for roof vent if needed.

ME93
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We typically only have minimium stafffing of 3 on our engines. The driver is the pump operator (much like anywhere). His first job is to establish a water source. Officer does a size up with 360 if able. He usually takes a pick head. The back step gets the hose line and I usually grab either Haligan and flat head or closet pike (depends on construction type, etc..)I also carry a truckmans axe on my gut belt. Our second due engine or truck is usually right in our mirror. One of our rules is when you get off the truck always have a tool in hand.

------------------
    Fishers Fire Dept.
    FF/Medic
    Local 416

NFDLT55
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Off the engine:

1.All firefighters in turn-outs.
    2.SCOTT pack 2.2
    3.Depending on the incident 1 man will grab the "irons" (halligan bar+ either pick head or flat head axe)
    4.Hose line 1 3/4 or 2 1/2 depending on incident.

Fireman0023
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Were a Volunteer Dept. so usually for a working fire there's about 7 trucks there all at once. Usually though that first engine out would have a full crew : 6.
    Here are the usual this people grab:

Officer - FE Tools, Radio
    Driver - Pumps Truck, Radio
    FF1 - 100 Ft. 1"3/4 Line
    FF2 - Other Ax
    FF3 - Closet Hook, or Pike Pole
    FF4 - Assts. Other FF's In Their Work.
    ***** All men have packs on

Engineforlife
    Firehouse.com Guest

It doesn't get much easier than this folks

Engine: Officer- Bar and balls

Lineman- Pipe, balls

Layoutman- flake it out, balls,

Engine Company...don't get too involved with trendy equipment, stay traditional, get in and put it out.

Truck: Buckets and shovels..clean up the mess we just made.

Rescue Squad: Capes, tights, and just stay out of the way

Remember!!! Water is the most essential tool!!! Everything else is secondary

Engineforlife

Hamy91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The first tool off the truck should be your irons. Nuff said!

------------------
    Hamy91

FIrefighters are the chosen people.

My views do not reflect that of my department or the United States Air Force

D A L E
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many varied answers here, and good. Two basic points : One, resources and response criteria, for example are you alone for a while or as where I work do you have companies breathing down your neck.

Two: Are you fire attack or are you forcible entry and ventilation. To me it does not matter what apparatus you are on, in today's firefighting where you are short of manpower you should work on one or the other( fire attack or forcible entry and ventilation) but not both. Assign a second unit to follow up. It is very easy to try to do more than you can which can lead to other problems ie; accountability. Once you decide your course of action then select the proper tools. Good Luck. DALE, Captain Los Angeles City Fire Department.

Forum Member

well here if you enter a structure, everyone must enter the building with at least something. all firefighters must have a radio, and flashlight. it dont matter who gets what we mainly take in axes, and halligon bar. basically something that will help you get out of a structure if you get stuck
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Depends on assignment and what side of rig I'm riding.
    If venting either the saw or a 6'pike and a pick-headed axe

If Attack or search either the irons or the hose also always have a portable light

Everyone that comes off the engine should have a tool in his/her hand. That includes
    1- irons
    2- closet hook / Pike Pole
    3- PW can
    4- 100 feet or 1 3/4 line / or 100 feet 2 1/2
    5- saw (K-12 or Chain Saw)

Thread Information