Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    firefighter26
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have most of our equipment supplied to us in my volunteer department. As a firefighter and FR level 3 (with spinal) I carry more equipment then those that are not FR qualified. In addition to this, 80% of our calls are MVA's, so that also dictates what we carry. My list includes...
    - Pelican Saberlight
    - Firefighter gloves
    - Work gloves
    - First Repsonder (Latex) Gloves
    - Seatbelt cutter
    - Paramedic shears
    - Centre Punch
    - Pen and small pad of paper
    - Combi-cutters (side cutters and pliers in one)
    - Safety Glasses
    - Deci-damps (4-5 sets.)
    - Pocket Mask (Although always seam to leave this in my locker)
    - My ID card. (Name, Age, Blood type, etc)

In my locker I have
    - An extra shirt for the winter
    - A complete extra set of gloves
    - Another flashlight - the cheap kind

Most of you will notice that my gear leans towards to rescue and extrication side. As mentioned above, the 80% MVA rating dictates what equipment I need on hand ASAP. If you work more fires then a few hose spanners are a must.

benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like most of the response said....buy a good flashlight. The $2 Wal Mart Garrity lights actually work pretty good, but you need a light with a right angle head to hang on your gear that will aim where you face. The streamlights are nice, but they are pricey. Try looking at your local hardware store for a pelican or hubble brand light. These usually run about $20 or $30.

Also, get some type of window punch. These come in real handy on wrecks.

One great place to get equipment is at weekend fire colleges. I noticed you are in Wimington, NC. NC has at least one college every weekend, usually within a few hours drive away and departments usually will cover some expenses to go. Check out www.firerescueunderground.net for seminars in NC and other areas of the country.

Most of all......
    Don't buy anything unless you have the extra money with you. I know how the wife can be if you buy a toy and forget about the bills!

What ever you get, make sure you can carry it easily in your gear.

------------------
    *****The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my department********

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information