Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

You all have it WAY to easy...(hahaha) Try working for Uncle Sam.....Us Federal guys are stuck with 24 on/24 off. I have worked 3 different schedules of 24on/24 off...They are:

-one on, one off...work 7 shifts then get a 3 day break. Every 8 weeks, get a 5 day break. Two platoon system.

-One on, one off....work 5 shifts, get a 3 day break. Every month and a half, work 18 shifts straight with no break. Two platoon system. (a lot of "sick" days used on this schedule...)

-Right now I am working one on, one off, work 4 shifts and get a 2 day break. Every 7 weeks get 4 days off- the "long weekend" as we call it is always Fri-Mon. This is a group system calendar...I like this a LOT- it alleviates the two platoon problems that I am sure you are all familiar with.

I dont mind the 24 hour shift at all, but the one on/one off kills you!! Just ask any federal firefighter- we are always coming or going, and 90% of federal FF's wont know the day/date when asked!!! All we know is we are either at work or will be tomorrow!!

City of Phila works two 10 hour days, two 14 hour nights, then 4 days off. Camden, NJ works 24 on/72 off.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

CFDENG23
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in Cincinnati we use the three unit 24/48 system with the kelly day every three weeks. Just about everybody likes it especially that five days of every three weeks

NFDLT55
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have seen one sch. i absolutley love
    i saw it down south in norfolk va.

it goes like this

24 on 48 off and every third week you recieve a 5 day break. I think that one is the best.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

NFDLT55,

Was wondering if you worked a 42 hour work week which is normal in Connecticut? If you do, why would you want to work a 56 hour work week in Norfolk, Va.? I know the 5 day break every 3rd week sounds very attractive, but I don't know if I would want to work an extra 14 hours a week for it.

Keep in mind that these questions are based upon you working a 42 hour workweek. If you do work a 56 hour workweek, the 24/48's are the way to go.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Thread Information