Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Default NIOSH testing

Just last month I participated in a study by NIOSH about Leather vs Rubber. We tested 4 different boots, 2 rubber, 2 leather. They put me through a variety of activites...walking on treadmill with highrise pack, stairstep machine, dummy drag, and a high tech test with photography to map movement. The tests included walking on pressure plates to determine force exertion on our joints...especially our knees. Part of it had to do with how much energy we exerted with each pair of boots. They measured my oxygen intake. Some boots were heavier, some lighter, so we did all the tests in each boot. Im not sure when the results will be available. I know we tested Warrington Pro, Ranger/Rubber, Thorogood Leather, and I want to say Servus/ Rubber.
    I have to say..to me the Warrington Pro's won hands down. I have been wearing leather boots for probably 10 years...I had forgotten how much I disliked rubber boots. In my size...the rubber boots tend to be sooo stiff, I have a hard time getting around.
    The testing was done in Morgantown, WV at the NIOSH Center.

Forum Member

Default Interesting stuff from NIOSH

Too bad they (NIOSH) didn't ask us to try out our new BOSS CBRN boot... I look forward to the results in any case... But that seems to be the case in alot of these studies, they always try out the Servus/Rnager rubber boots versus the Pro Warrington... They don'gt really try out any other brands. Thats like trying out a Chevy and saying that all cars are the same way a Chevy is.

Obviously the Pro's are going to be alot better. Even the Thorogood leather are better than those rubber boots IMHO. Our BOSS CBRN is as light as the Thorogood leather boots that we have tested in-house, a bit heavier than the Pro's... and they are as flexible as the leathers also. Plus the protection level of our BOSS boot is far superior to what you'll get in any of the above boots. Our own in-house testing has proven our findings, as well as field tests all across the country.

If you want to try them out, I can send you a sample pair (for free) just to get your feedback on them. We would love to learn from your experience and comments.

Thanks !

Marc Bouchard
    AirBoss-Defense

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcBouchard
    Too bad they (NIOSH) didn't ask us to try out our new BOSS CBRN boot... I look forward to the results in any case... But that seems to be the case in alot of these studies, they always try out the Servus/Rnager rubber boots versus the Pro Warrington... They don'gt really try out any other brands. Thats like trying out a Chevy and saying that all cars are the same way a Chevy is.

Obviously the Pro's are going to be alot better. Even the Thorogood leather are better than those rubber boots IMHO. Our BOSS CBRN is as light as the Thorogood leather boots that we have tested in-house, a bit heavier than the Pro's... and they are as flexible as the leathers also. Plus the protection level of our BOSS boot is far superior to what you'll get in any of the above boots. Our own in-house testing has proven our findings, as well as field tests all across the country.

If you want to try them out, I can send you a sample pair (for free) just to get your feedback on them. We would love to learn from your experience and comments.

Thanks !

Marc Bouchard
    AirBoss-Defense

Marc -

I will take you up on your offer here on the board. Let me know how I can get my information to you for shipping the boots and I will send you feedback. I am a size 11D.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDueCTVol
    Marc -

I will take you up on your offer here on the board. Let me know how I can get my information to you for shipping the boots and I will send you feedback. I am a size 11D.
    Shoot him an e-mail here... marc.bouchard@airboss-acton.com
    He'll need your shoe size, department affiliation and your shipping address.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Looks like someone beat me to the punch

Anyone wanting a sample or our new BOSS fire boot to try out just has to send me an e-mail (marc.bouchard@airboss-acton.com) with their shoe and boot size, plus their exact address where we need to send you the boots.

All we ask in exchange is that you fill out a small questionnaire after about a month of field testing the boots.

The boots are already certified by UL to be compliant with NFPA. So they are ok to use in the line of duty.

Thanks !

Marc Bouchard
    AirBoss-Defense

Forum Member

Well I know the one key thing that is discussed in the Academy about boots are that Rubber boots can be cleaned of hazardous materials, like blood, gas, oil, etc. Leather soaks up these materials and can't be cleaned. So once a leather boot is contaminated, its done and can't really be used again (not supposed to). And that can get expensive if you run a lot of car accident calls.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default For those who have received their sample boots

For those that have just received their sample boots...

If the size is not exactly right, let us know and we will replace the sample pair with the correct size. based on the pair you receive, this should enable you to give us a good indication of the exact size you need.

We will handle the courrier costs.

Thank you.

Marc Bouchard
    AirBoss-Defense

Forum Member

Default Can I get some samples ?

My department has already bought some of the boss boots. can we get a sample pair or two anyways to try and convince more guys to adopt them ?

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    I know this is a little off topic, and I am not trying to hijack your thread. Does anyone know if any actual test has been done by either FDNY or anyone else to see which is safer the tactical tubberware or a leather helmet? I know many of opinons, but I was looking for actual tests and research.
    NO, its all crap.....Ben2s are cheaper in price....end of story. "Selling point" 20k of pressure to destroy a Ben2....sounds great huh? Real safe you say....well my head and neck can only take a couple of hundred pounds before they explode....so whats the point?
    Last edited by VinnieB; 09-19-2006 at 11:22 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Thanks Vinnie

Thread Information