Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Rare Firemans ailment

Has anyone ever heard of ankle-hippolitus? A friend of mine was just diognosed with it. It seems that after years of sliding the firehouse pole, he's gone from 6'1" to 5'8" The doctor claims that sliding the pole has jambed his ankles closer to his hips making him shorter........Jake

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Are you kidding me??? I never heard of such a thing....thank God the pole is becoming obsolete then! Stay safe

RS-1Alum
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes my quint-riding friend I have heard of it. I've been told that when you first started in the fire service that you were a legitimate division 1 college football prospect at 6'3" 225lbs. but the University of Pittsburgh backed off of you when they saw you had shrunk so much. Just be thankful that you don't have hair all over your inner forearms like myself.

HYTHE FIRE DEPARTMENT
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have heard of it. There is also another rare ailment caused by sliding down the pole. It is called Urinedumasitis, very similar to bladder infections.

Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have have heard of this condition, but recent studies done by Dr. Alter M.D. has shown that it is actually caused by stomping up and down every time Kentland put's 28's fires out.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Ok I have been known to ride a quint on occasion, but I don't like it. Sort of like fat girls and mopeds.......Please Recycle 1 aluminum don't tell all of my secrets....YOU HAVE A PAST to you know. The football days are over to as you said I've traded a football for running a hose line.

Sonny nice to hear from you again, I went to Kentland without you and when we went to fires they punked me for my line. Its a tough crowd, be warned, not many can measure up. What is this about the stomping causing ankle-hipolitis? Is it published in JAMA. if so what issue so I can show it to my friend. This is a serious health issue and any assistance is greatly appreciated.

knobhog354
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

If it is printed in JAMA, it must be the truth. The ailment is somewhat similar to the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome that has effected many people who were once allegedly firefighters and now have become clipboard carrying, pencil pushing, non-combatant, zero impact desk jockies. Many of these people have already reached the pinnacle of their mediocre careers in the fire service...
    And by the way, on the topic of the hip ailment, I believe the guys at 38's are also suffering from the same disease. They are prone to alligator tears whenever 33 gets the jump on them also.

knobhog354
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

If it is printed in JAMA, it must be the truth. The ailment is somewhat similar to the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome that has effected many people who were once allegedly firefighters and now have become clipboard carrying, pencil pushing, non-combatant, zero impact desk jockies. Many of these people have already reached the pinnacle of their mediocre careers in the fire service...
    And by the way, on the topic of the hip ailment, I believe the guys at 38's are also suffering from the same disease. They are prone to alligator tears whenever 33 gets the jump on them also.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Knobhogg, I don't think that 38 suffers from ankle-hipolitis. It sounds like a rare affliction that is common only in parts of Maryland. The Latin term for it is JET332Lag. Its symptoms are seeing a quick white flash go by, and observing black smoke quickly change to white steam on the horizon while your still blocks away from the fire. Even though millions of dollars in research on this phenomenon, a cure has not been found. The secrets are closely guarded in a bunker located on Landover Rd.

snowball
    Firehouse.com Guest

Havent' heard of that one. Out West we have
    an affliction called "Cranial Rectosis" It usually occurrs when you are a rookie then goes into remission untill you become a BC.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Cranial rectosis. Yes i've heard of that one too, We have a chief here in Richmond that has a severe case of it, In fact it may be terminal, he's in septic shock as I write. Its sad to see all these diseases take such a toll on the fire service.

Are their any FDNY firemen reading this? I heard that you guys stopped using the poles because of severe cases of ankle-hipolitus. Is this true? What can we do to prevent this tragic afflicition

fjbfour
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cranial Rectosis is the formalized identification for the disease I carried for my first year like everyone else. However, in Nebraska and most of the midwest, it is referred to by its slang identifier, "Rectalitis".

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

This was a good thread. Does anyone else know of any diseases that plague firefighters?

FFShooty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

We've got a few whino's that have chronic cases of diarrhea mouth....does that count? I'm not sure of the correct medical terminology but I can verify that it exists. I think I'll try to find out if Immodium has any plans on the drawing board to cure this contagious disease.

------------------
    Firefighters....We're Risk Takers, We're Heartbreakers.

emsbrando
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I don't know about a term for the poo-poo mouth, but several paramedics I know have a disease called neurorectaloptitis.

It's when the vagus nerve which goes from your eyes to your rectum gets a little wonkered and you develop a very crappy outlook on things.

Ed

[This message has been edited by emsbrando (edited 01-23-2001).]

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Well, I did a search at JAMA and was unable to locate anything on this.

I think someone is suffering from a severecase of havingfunus attheexpenseofeveryoneelseus. Either that or from firefighterisfullofcr@pius. In fact, yes, I feel this diagnosis is the second one.

I LOVE THIS! GREAT HUMOR!

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We just had two more cases of ankle-hippolitus diagnosed.............this stuff is spreading thru the troops..........I understand that Kentland 33 has a single story firehouse just to prevent ankle- hippolitus........Is this true? Is the only way to prevent this affliction a one floor firehouse?

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many Long Island and PA firemen suffer from STROBOSITUS, a condition that impairs the firefighter from seeing how many friggin blue lights they have going on the way to that bIG Automatic Fire alarm.

Also I have heard of a condition suffered by many firefighters called "threshold Hooks" of the feet. This sad condition does not allow the necessary adrenaline to flow and the person is unable to proceed any further down the hall. they are paralyzed and usually creat traffic jams in croweded spaces. This condition is usually terminal if unnoticed, but can be treated with continuous abrupt foot steps over the sufferer's back.

These conditions are very severe and should be tested for regularly. If you catchem fast, you can usually get rid of the problem before iit gets worse.

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-11-2001).]

Thread Information