Thread: LODD

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy LODD

Rest In Peace Brother
    http://www.newsday.com/ap/regional/ap540.htm

Volunteer firefighter dies directing traffic
    KENDALL, N.Y. (AP) - A volunteer firefighter died early Wednesday after he was struck by a car while directing traffic at an accident scene.

Rick Buongiorne, 48, was struck shortly before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday as he diverted traffic from an accident in which a power pole had been knocked over.

An eastbound vehicle driven by Adam Henry of Kendall struck Buongiorne from behind, sending him under a truck.

Buongiorne was taken to Lakeside Memorial Hospital in Brockport, then transferred to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester where he died at 3 a.m.

Neither Henry nor Tom Buzard, the driver of the truck, was charged. The accident remains under investigation and weather appears to have been a factor.

Kendall is 24 miles west of Rochester.

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

God Bless and God speed!
    It angers me to see it the past months of FFs being struck by vehicles that have no respect or any clue to traffic safety around a emergency, Public education is a must in this area! Please everyone stay safe and watch your back!

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

That is the 3rd LODD this year, Well rest in peace and may our prayers, thoughts and best wishes be with his family through this difficult time

Engine 101

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Originally posted by FireRebel:
    God Bless and God speed!
    It angers me to see it the past months of FFs being struck by vehicles that have no respect or any clue to traffic safety around a emergency, Public education is a must in this area! Please everyone stay safe and watch your back!
    I defenetly agree with you on this subject, but the only thing is that this accident wasn't just because of some ignorant SOB behind the wheel of a car. According to the report on the homepage, the Chief said that there was snow, blowing snow and icy road conditions. We can't just assume that the driver just aimed for the firefighter, the car came from the opposite direction. The vehicle was already past the accident.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

toolman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our condolences to Ricks family, may they find help and support in their family and friends.
    Having spent two years as a member of our departments Fire Police I know first hand how dangerous a job it is.
    I have now resumed my duties as an interior firefighter, but make it a practice to salute the brave guys that try to keep our scenes safe.

popsnumber8
    Firehouse.com Guest

May God be with our Brother's two families (civilian and firefighting) and help them (us) deal with another loss. In our branch of the service (unpaid professionals) the Fire Police are kind of the forgotten group. They need and deserve our utmost respect for what they do at each and every call. They are out in the cold and dark and have no idea what condition that person driving towards them is in. I do not wish to change my position of interior firefighter with anyone one of my Brothers or Sisters who puts their life on the line each and every call and are seldom thought about.
    Not only do they risk their lives every call, they do it to save ours and make our jobs easier when we are on a scene. I hope that each and everyone of you that has a chance to deal with a Fire Police member takes the time to thank them for the great job they do. I know that I learned that early in my career and thank them every chance I get.
    Be Safe,
    Michael Myers, Lt.
    Wilson Fire Company #1, Inc.
    Wilson, NY

Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

May the 5-5-5-5 siganl be rang out again for a fallen brother. My thoughts are with the family as well as the Fire Department. Every time I hear of a brother firefighter answering the last alarm I am tuched the same way as loosing a family member, but truly we are one big family. Welcome home brother.

Americas Heroes
    Firehouse.com Guest

All of us at Dalmatian Productions, Inc., producers of "RESCUE HEROES," wish to extend our heartfelt condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of FF Rick Buongiome. May the memories of his dedication and service to his community serve as an inspiration to all.

Steven S. Greene
    Executive Producer

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

My condolences to the family, close friends and fellow crew members of Rick Buongiorne. Even over the 'water' the pain can be felt. I am sure that he will be sadly missed by all that had the pleasure to meet him. He will always be with you in your thoughts, never let that go.

My prayers are with you during this very sad time.

Sprinkle (UK)

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I'm sorry to announce but today Thursday Januray 11, We just had our foruth LODD of the year

A Volunteer Firefighter from the City of Fredrick Maryland collapsed from an apparent heart attack last night while gearing up to respond to a reported mulch fire

Engine 101

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

That is not good. That puts us on track to hit 132 for the year. One is too many, especially when some are preventable, but 132 would be the highest in memory.

duerr2
    Firehouse.com Guest

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of "America's Bravest".
    May you rest in peace...

keitho61
    Firehouse.com Guest

The members of the Gamewell Fire Dept. wishes to express their condolences to the family of Firefighter Rick Boungiorne and to the members of the Kendall Fire Dept. in your lost. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Marty Maynard
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

To the Family of Firefighter Rick Buongiorne and the members of the Kendall Volunteer Fire Department, God Bless. My family and I offer our sympathy to all of you during this difficult time.

TCFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our condolences to the Family of Rick Buongiorne and the Kendall Fire Company family.

Our prayers are with you.

------------------
    Bill Fisher
    Terry's Corners Fire Co.

EMTFFRETIRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Rick, you are the 4th Fallen Brother this week. Your tour of duty and watch are now over, it is our turn to take watch. You are now with our other Fallen Brothers & Sisters, rest now. God speed to you. Our tears & condolences to your family, the members of your dept, and your community, this is truly a sad week for all.
    respectively submitted,
    EMT/FF Retired
    Dave Lightner
    Northwestern Pa

------------------
    Dave's Fire & Ems Homepage

Thread Information