Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: PG COUNTY MD

rfd241
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post PG COUNTY MD

I wanna hear what everyone out there thinks of prince georges county. Those of you from the county and what others have heard and think about us.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

ok....here goes...you asked....

Seems to me that the majority (NOT ALL) of the firefighters I have met from PG County (career OR volunteer) think that they walk on water and that their sh*t doesnt stink- that they have a "Holier-than-thou" attitude. I have met many PG County guys at classes, seminars...conventions, etc. Not all of them are like this. In my opinion PGFD in general is a top notch organization and deserves credit where credit is due.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Mike DeVuono
    Firehouse.com Guest

Army....

Haven't met any PG guys before but your description was certainly what I thought when I read that guys question.

------------------
    Mike DeVuono

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Prince George's County Maryland ranks among The finest fire suppression agencies in the world.

Where else can a Volunteer start off a fire service career with finer, more dedicated people? The work load is parallel to the largest paid departments and surpasses most cities. The esprit de corps is excellent. And interior attack firefighting is still reality.

The action is fast paced, and people from all over the world have come to ride-along to see the Dept.

Sports have high school and college ball to prepare their next generation of players, while the fire service has P.G. County. You will find the best of paidmen all over the U.S.A. who were once Vollys in P.G.

Do they think they can walk on water? Damn right they do, but when your a volly and can go to 60,,70,or a 100 real fires a year, and you had the pipe in your hand last night and knocked down a couple of rooms of fire, its hard to keep a straight face when some loud mouth wants to tell you about both house fires his dept. had Last Year.

Count me as a P.G. believer, I lived at West Lanham Co. 28 for 2 years and attended several hundred good fires. I went to work for Richmond, Va. 19 years ago and still rely on what the old fire dogs of P.G. taught me to survive.

To this day I can spot an P.G. Fireman a block away. They have that spring in their step. They are sure of themselves, and never loaf on the fire ground, They will wrestle you for the pipe and take it from you if you hesitate, but they will walk thru the fires of Hell with gasoline soaked underwear to get you if your in trouble.

So my hat is off to all the brothers of P.G. MD. Keep up the great work. Its nice to know some things still are as they should be.

And the thing you call cockiness is just simple confidence.

[This message has been edited by Jake295885 (edited 02-03-2001).]

rfd241
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Very well said, even though I run here I don't think what you just said could be put any better than that. People can say what they want but for still being volunteers in a county like this, this is a hell of a place to be and it's great.

TruroFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

First, rfd241, I'm an Ohio State graduate.. The current president of OSU is Brit Kirwan, formerly the president at UM-College Park. Please, PLEASE, take him back!!!!! With that said...

Brit Kirwan is about the only negative thing I can say about PG, PGFD, and the metro area. I have listened to some of the audio archives on Laurel's website, and am continually amazed by how you guys do it. Until I started doing research, I had no idea that VOLUNTEERS protect things such as the US Air Arena...That boggles my mind... For PGFD to handle as much as it does, and handle it like it does speaks volumes about the personnel who comprise it.

I've read about some of the quarrels between volunteer and paid personnel, and of the infamous Kentland-Bladensburg incident awhile ago. But when it comes down to it, it shouldn't matter whose number is on the side of the truck. We're all in this to help people, and each other, and that's what should matter. The volunteers at PGFD handle more in one year than many paid departments will do in 5 years. To do that much, with little to no compensation, takes a special breed of person. Commitment, drive, hunger... These are words I would use to describe a PGFD fireman.

Though I've never met a PGFD firefighter or ridden at the station, I have a seep sense of respect for the personnel of PGFD. They truly exemplify what it is to serve public safety....

Be safe...

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I would have to rate the PGFD a 99 out of 100~ {Hey...Nobody is perfect } About 2 years ago I had the Chance to Spend a day with PGFD Company 33 { Kentland } and saw the operation First hand, Actually responding with them aboard Engine 332 and a brief few hours on Tower 33 ~ I've read the articles and follow PGFD Operations when I'm in the area ~ They are good no question about it...But like I said Nobody is Perfect we all have Flaws

knobhog354
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Before anyone goes knocking 33, where in God's name is Stratford, N.J.??? I guess riding for a couple of days at 33 does make you competent to comment on any flaws that they may have. ust out of curiosity, what exactly were (are) some of the alleged flaws?Do slide rules get issued as standard equipment at Station 12 along with the standard PGFD hoods, gloves, running pants and bunker coats?

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

knobhog...PG member past or present? Slide rules at 12...4th or 6th Battalion perhaps? Anyways, I don't think that Brian Dunlap was knocking PGFD or any station with his post. He gave PGFD a rating of 99 out of 100. To answer your question, Stratford, NJ is about 10 miles from Philadelphia in Camden County.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Knobhog, you kinda take things out of perspective don't you? A rating of 99 out of 100 is DAMN good! Where do you find that insulting? I would like it if someone from outside my department rated it NEARLY PERFECT! Before you ask, Smithfield is 90 miles north of Salt Lake City.

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

rfd241
    Firehouse.com Guest

Valley stream NY in the eastern or western part of the state?

FF27
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must say from what I have seen from the Department they are top notch. I haven't actually been out on the street yet but from what I hear they "GET THE JOB DONE." I know one thing they instructors they have at the academy are the best around. Just my opinion

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Along with Brian Dunlap I have driven my 2 1/2 hours from New Jersey to ride with 33 in PG County, but I go for the entire weekend from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Worth every minute of the drive. I got to use the skills that we were taught in the fire academy down there. And they will test your skills and aggressiveness. They are an excellent group of gentlemen threw out PG County. I have seen my share of houses around the nation from Metro to as rural as it get like the area I come from. The firefighters that I've met in PG County have all the room in the world to be confident of themselves and to voice it! The do the deed and do it well, career or volunteer. Again, excellent group of people. I'm glad to have met the guys that I have.

------------------
    David DeCant
    Firefighter/NREMT-P
    New Jersey, USA
    Career or volunteer we are all brothers. Just feel good for the good you do for others.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Some posts here have defended PGFD firefighters' attitudes- that they have the right to think that their sh*t doesnt stink, and that they can walk on water.....Thay they had the knob twice last night and not twice last year, etc etc etc....Well I present this: I am of the opinion that having that kind of an attitude is a pretty sh*tty deal.....And to counter this- I have ridden with some of the busiest companies in New York City, and you know what? Never, not once, did I feel like those guys thought that they were gods or their sh*t didnt stink.....I still say PGFD is a fine department, but the attitudes of their members are still bullsh*t and leave a lot to be desired.

------------------

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Army,

You are way out of line brother. Your last post on this thread speaks volumes about your character, and its not good. I tried to give you some insight into what its like to be a P.G. County fireman. What you perceive as an attitude, is really pride.

I too have been up to NY to ride on many occasions over the past 20 years, and have enjoyed each trip, in fact I count a Lt. at Rescue 2 as a good family friend.

Reading the posts in this forum, its obvious that many young Firefighters have a thirst for knowledge. There are also some mis-guided souls here too. I have read where you are trying to get on with Philly FD. Let me try once more to give you some advice. If you take that attitude into a real Paid fire Dept. You are going to have some long hard days. The lessons will be meeted out without compassion for your FEELINGS.

I invite you to come down to P.G. county and ride sometime, I personally guarantee the experience will enlighten you.

In closing I wish you the best of luck becoming a Philly fireman, but you better grow some balls soon. If you still don't get it, feel free to e-mail me @ Firemanrix@aol...........Jake

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

From what I've read of PG County, they do a damn good job. I haven't personally dealt with any FF from there so I can't comment on their attitudes. However, I will say that you will fin people that think their stuff don't stink in ANY department. There are always those that think they're above the rest, there are those that don't care about anything, and then there are the rest of us that do the work.

To answer the question about Valley Stream, it's in Nassau County on Long Island. Probably a fairly busy department, as are most in Nassau, but too far west for me to care about

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Jake- Just a few comments about your last post:

How am I way out of line? What precisely is my attitude? In my posts, I stated that the MAJORITY OF, and not all of the members of PGFD have the "think they walk on water" thing going. I find it extremely difficult to understand how you can come to the conclusion that I have an "attitude" after reading my post. Pretty interesting how my opinion has been deemed an attitude, but then what am I to expect from an ex PGFD firefighter?? I don't have everyday contact with PGFD personnel, but it happens regularly enough; taking classes at MFRI NERTC or College Park, or once in a blue moon riding in DC. And I try to make it down to OC Md for the convention. But mostly from traveling to various stations to do appartus photography. And every time I have had the opportunity to speak to or interact with a PGFD firefighter....wow..75% of the time I am made to feel as if I should be bowing down to the person, and worshipping a PGFD patch on an altar!

What I perceive as an attitude is pride? If you have ridden with R2 FDNY you know that pride is among the prevailing feelings, especially in a Rescue company. Sure, they have their problems just like anyone else, but there is always an amount of pride exhibited by FDNY members, and you know what?? I have never, not once, in about 12 years of riding with various FDNY companies in all 5 boroughs; been made to feel like I do, or be made to have an opinion like I do about PGFD. I have ridden with all 5 rescues, busy companies in the Bronx, Harlem, Bklyn.....I can name at least 15 companies here and now....lets see...6 on a truck, 5 on an engine...do the math on that versus the number of groups...That works out to a few hundrded guys!! Interesting...You'd think that someone, in all that time, in all those companies...companies in one of the biggest, busiest metropolitan fire departments in the world...You'd think that someone would cop an attitude!! I have had guys ask me where I was from, about my volunteer company, how many trucks, runs, do we do ems? making small talk and just natural curiosity- being FRIENDLY!!!...But never have I been made to think lowly of any of them! And about taking my "attitude" into a Philly station? Being my hometown team, I have spent hundreds of hours in Philly stations, and am always welcomed back with open arms....And am constantly asked if I have "heard anything?" yet.

I have ridden with PGFD units. My best friend is a certified FPE who lived at 12's for close to 3-4 years I believe. Members (and friends) of surrounding volunteer companies are in school or have recently been in school, and were live ins. Like I said before, not all of PGFD's members are like this.

And if I take this "attitude" into a paid department?? I am now and have been a career firefighter for the United States Government since 1995.

For everyone else, Jake's comments are precisely what I have been talking about!!! Jake- how come you're not on the job in PGFD, anyways?? Afraid you might punch out a volunteer if he grabs the knob from you???

------------------

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've been a member with the Laurel VFD for over two years and am EXTREMELY glad to be a volunteer in Prince George's County. I moved here over three years ago and couldn't believe there were volunteers in this large metropolitan area and that they didn't have home response or blue lights in their cars.

I have spent A LOT of time at the station in these two years and my learning curve has been advanced greatly by the large number and diversity of calls I have been on. I was also lucky enough to help provide coverage as an EMT at an alternative music concert and the George Strait Country Music Festival, both held at FED EX Field (Redskins Stadium), and both on a volunteer basis with the PGFD's Special Events Unit.

Having no prior knowledge of the LVFD or PGFD I am incredibly fortunate to have chosen to live where I do. I don't think I would have the same opportunities as a volunteer anywhere else. Hope this gives more insight to everyone else. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

Mike DeVuono
    Firehouse.com Guest

Since we have the attention of a few PG FFs I'm going to ask a question that I've been wondering for a long time, but never felt comfortable asking. Keep in mind, I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone with this question.

To what extent is fire prevention done in PG County?? Myself, as a FF would love to run 1 or 2 jobs a day, but at some point someone has to say maybe we should be educating the public a little better as far as fire prevention goes?? It just seems a little odd that no other counties in the US see this amount of fire.

Like I said, I mean no disrespect, PG could have the most active fire prevention programs in the country for all I know. I'm just interested in hearing some opinions.

------------------
    Mike DeVuono

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Folks

I just recently had the chance to ride along with the Kentland Volunteers (Sta. 33) in PG County. One word sums up that place...WOW

I was treated like gold for the 4 days at the end of December that I did the ride-along. The pride was spilling out the front door as I pulled in the parking lot. They hooked me up with a bunk, included me in on all their meals, and just basically made me feel at home.

I was turned over on their digital camera and was told to get some good pictures...and that I did. These guys went to 3 fires in the 4 days I stayed. I couldn't believe it!

Some say in this forum that they are cocky and have big attitudes in PG. I may have been there only 4 days, but the guys at 33 were simply laid back, cool and just wanted to go to fires.

As far as the rest of the stations in PG I can't say..I didn't ride with them...and on the fire ground with other companies I didn't see any problems.

Sonny Sampson
    F/F Paramedic
    Utica, NY

Thread Information