Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preconnects...

Chief802
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run 2 1 3/4 crosslays 200' with combination nozzles for car fires and L.P. fires but for the structures, it all comes off the back! 2 identical 1 3/4 200' handlines with pistol grip smooth bores and a 200' 3" handline with a pistol grip smooth bore. Your probably saying to yourself, 'a 3" handline?' Yup, you put 3 personnel on a 3" and you wouldn't believe the fire you can knock down.

F52 Westside
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have
    2- 200', 1 3/4" preconnects ( 1 with smooth bore nozzle the other with a fog).

1- 200' 2 1/2" smooth bore

These are on all our Engines, and the Ladder.
    Tower does not have the 2 1/2" preconnect.

2 of the 3 Engines have an 1 3/4" trash line which is 100' ( for vehicles and nuisance fires )
    And our Ladder and 3rd Engine have trash lines on the front bumper.

------------------
    Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
    ECarn21's Homefire Page
    Local 3008
    "Doin' it for lives n' property"

Firefighter631
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my dept. we have the best of both worlds. We have 2- 1 1/2 preconnects both 200' and 1 1 1/2 preconnect off the back thats 200 ft. I personally dont have a preference of which ones I pull, as long as it has water in it, it works for me.

------------------
    Disclaimer: This is my personal opinon. It does not reflect the opinion of my department.

kmad
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief 802 try it with a 2 1/2. Your not gaining anything by using a 3" except a trip to the back doctor.Check out big paulies reply above. Anything more that 500 GPM and you need more than 3 guys to hold the line. Then 1 man and a portable gun do the trick. That's the devise to prconnect with 3". Use as a blitz line or leader or standpipe etc. But please no 3" hand lines. There's just no need to lug that weight around. Remember I'm talking about a mobile attack line not a looped defensive line. That's what the gun is for.

------------------
    kmad

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We run our current engine with a trash/car fire line on the fron bumper that is 1 3/4. We have two, 1 3/4 off the side, one with the nozzle on the left side of the truck and the other on the right size of the truck but packed so that they may come off any size needed. plus there is a 2 1/2 in the middle to go off either side. In the back we have 1300 feet of 5", plus a line of 3" set up for a attack line but would be used for our portable deck gun. The ladder truck has a 1 1/4 linon the bumper, two 1 1/4 off the sides with the 2 1/2 and a line of 3 in up top sorta in the middle that is used for desk gun operations, plus 800' of 5" supply line out the rear chutes. Oh and by the way the pumper is for sale, e-mail for for FULL details.

knobhog354
    Firehouse.com Guest

The logical thing to me is try them all out and see what works best for your particular area. I try not to become too dependent on the pre-connects because we have some large apartment houses that require us to be able to back stretch or go fire to hydrant. Always keep the "options" open -- don't become too dependent on one type. One of the big drawbacks today with the Mattydales are that the pump panels are pushing the hose beds higher and higher, thus making it more difficult to stretch from safely and efficiently. Like I said, don't leave yourself without diversity...

HVFD32
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well we have two engines set up with 2 crosslays, and one rear preconnect. We find that with a triple layer load on the cross lays one firefighter can handle getting an attack line off, and posted. I would like to see more front loaded preconncets, as they are more readily dispatched.

Thanks good subject

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We run with two speedlays (waist height) under a top mount pump panel. We have a preconnected trash line on the running board next to the captain's side jumpseat. We also have two preconnects on the back, one 1.75in and one 2.5in. Our new pumper will have the same setup, except for that the trash line will be recessed into the fron bumper and not on the side running board.

------------------
    In Omnia Paratus

trumpeter75
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our engines have top-mount pumps, with (2) 1 1/2 and (1) 2 1/2 preconnect right there, accessible from either side. They also have a, 1 1/2 trash line on the front bumper, and a 4" preconnect out of the hose bed (for monitors, supplying the ladder, etc.) The ladder has 1 1/2 preconnect off the front bumper in addition to all the platform goodies.

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

We designed a choice in our newest engine with front, cross and speedlays, and rear preconnects. The most used however is the 100 foot front jump line. second is the 150 foot or 200 foot speed lays with the rear blitz line next. The least used are the 2 crosslays.

Good Luck
    Firehose

THE NCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

All of our new rigs are coming with 3 1.75" crosslay preconnects. All are top mount pumps. They also have 2.50" load in rear with a nozzle... not connected. All of our older rigs utilize 2 1.75" preconnect crosslays with the exception of our 2 oldest that have them off the rear.

------------------
    Grant Mishoe
    Engineer, Station #4
    North Charleston F.D.
    THENCFD Online!

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Our older engine with the pump panel up top has 6 pre connect lines. 3-1 3/4 seed lays (250 ft.), 2-1 3/4 top crosslays (250 ft.), and a 1 3/4 foam eductor (200 ft.). All of the pre connects have TFT nozzles.

On our newer rescue pumper, we have 2 preconnected 150' 1 3/4 trash lines off of the front bumper, and 2-1 3/4 off the back. One of each of the front and rear pre connects is foam capable. all of those have TFT nozzles.

Our tanker with front mount pump has two 1- 3/4 cross lays with TFT nozzles.

The only apparatus that we have straight bore tips on is our deck gun/monitor.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Thread Information