Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome aboard hope you have a wonderful career, never think you know it all,because if you think that then it's time to get out of this bussiness. Before you get yourself hurt or killed or somebody else.There's always something you can learn,even if the training gets the same, I always pick up something I missed before.

COFireLt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Refer back to JBingo18's post, be sure to read those memo's and policy changes BEFORE throwing them away, if you can't follow instructions, you're no good to the dept. Yes, the public does pay your salary, if you do your job, you won't have to kiss their ***. remember, you're NEW please don't get attitude just yet..... Ok, now for my advice
    1.Accept change, you don't have to like, try to accept it
    2.Sometimes you have to agree to disagree with others
    3.Be honest with yourself & your crew
    4.Remember the basics
    5.Communicate w/ your family at home, this career is cause for alot of divorce, if you have some in your dept. Get advice on family from them, if your personal life is good, your career will be a blast.
    6.Load your pockets with all the junk you want, it won't make you better at your job, just heavier!
    7.Don't lie to the public or your supervisor
    8.Express your idea's, try new things
    9.You won't please everyone, be your own person
    10.remember how long it took you to get where you are, it could be got at any minute BE SAFE!!!!
    11.If it's your fault, admit to it
    12.Dont walk around quoting scenes from "BACKDRAFT", you can have a bad day at work without people dying.

that's my thought's thats my thoughts, take them as you wish..........

troll911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Man, I wish I had something like this when I was a probie!! All No. 1 advice in all posts. I'll try to add some.
    1. Whatever you do in the publics eye, right or wrong, will reflect back on you and your department.
    2. Be fair to everyone. If you take sides, be wary of the outcome.
    3. Go home. Then GO HOME. Whether or not you answer to a higher calling is none of my bizness, but don't drop your problems on your family and expect them to deal with it.
    4. Don't wear your feelings on your shirtsleeves, good way to get your *** kicked.
    5. If you don't respect the man, respect the rank!
    6. Don't dis your brothers it WILL come back and bite ya.
    7. If you whine, expect to get offered copious amount of cheese.
    8. Act...Don't react.
    9. Lastly (I could ramble on, 24 years worth of hard knocks) what my former Chief always lived by "Do your best. Do what is right. And do it first."

------------------
    Peace,
    TROLL

Just my opinions, not my departments. If they are alike, it usually means somethin's gonna happen!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information