Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ladyfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Engine58 & Brian... thanks for being the voice of reason

As for haunted firehouses...

On April 18, 1924, a firefighter named Frank Leavy was washing a window at the fire station. For some reason, he paused in his work, his hand resting against the pane of glass, and he told a friend who was standing nearby that he had the strangest feeling he was going to die that day. Just then, the station received an alarm call and the fire fighters was sent to a fire that had broken out at Curran Hall, an office building in Chicago. While fighting the fire, a wall collapsed and killed eight of the firemen..... Frank Leavy was one of those killed.

The next day, one of the firemen noticed something strange about the window that Frank had been washing the day before. There seemed to be an unusual stain on the glass.... and it appeared to be the imprint of Frank's hand at the same spot where he had been leaning the day before.

They tried everything that they could, but they could find no way to erase the strange handprint. It seemed to be etched into the glass!

An expert from the Pittsburgh Plate Glass company brought a special solution to the fire house, guaranteeing that it would remove the print, but it didn't work. Over the years, there were suggestions that the pane of glass be removed, but many of the firemen argued, saying that it was not right to fool with the unknown. Besides that, it was a reminder, albeit a grim one, of their dead friend. And there was no doubt that the handprint belonged to Frank Leavy! An official from the city had come down with a fingerprint comparison and the prints matched those of Frank's. For the next twenty years, the handprint defied all explanation and was a common attraction to visitors and other firemen from around the city.

Finally, on the morning of April 18, 1944 a careless paper boy tossed the morning edition at the fire house and shattered the window where Frank's handprint had been.

It happened exactly twenty years to the date of when Frank Leavy died!

The fire station is still located at 13th and Oakley Streets in Chicago, Illinois. For more information, contact the Chicago Firefighters Assoc., 1800 South Halsted in Chicago.

PraireGhosts.com

Fact or fiction... you decide

------------------
    Stay Safe...
    Rebecca Richardson FF/EMT
    Isles of Capri Fire Rescue
    South Florida

HAMMER14
    Firehouse.com Guest

LFD2203

Station 4 isn't it??? I could be wrong, it's been awhile. I remember the story though. Small station, 2 story, spiral staircase. Almost have to bring the mirrors in on the Engine to get it in the door. Do you work in Lexington? Let me know. I worked there for about a year.

By the way, I worked there. You do here noises.

Eng522ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Jake, my congratulations on a great topic. A fire company that I used to belong to is quartered in a building built in the 1930's and it is unquestionably haunted. Odd things happen regularly such as bathroom stall doors being locked from the inside, tv and lights turning on and off, foot steps across the floor, yelling when nobody else is there, etc... A few members decided to bring in a Ouija board one night and see what they could find. It turns out that there are 2 ghosts, one is a past chief and the other is a small boy that used to live in a row of miner's houses that has long since been torn down. The chief confirmed his identity by naming other long dead members (so long dead that we had to dig back 50 years in the company's records to even find their names!). The chief generally drags chairs arround the meeting room at night and yells at members while the boy is constantly bouncing his ball on the upstairs floor. All of this only happens at night. Again, great topic choice! Be safe.

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Eng522ine,

What firehouse is that, I'd like to check it out, I normally am not into that but what the hey?

Thanks

Primo VIn

LFD2203
    Firehouse.com Guest

HAMMER 14
    yeah buffy, you're right about sta. 4. how's everything at the heights???
    going to keep you guessing for awhile.

LFD2203
    Firehouse.com Guest

let me try this again
    HAMMER 14
    sorry jodie, got you confused with your running mate.

pyroknight
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Just so ya know that we have ghosts out here in the West too . . . My last department had a station where one of the resident firefighters killed herself. I had heard all the stories, but didn't believe 'em. Even after standing in the bay and having one of the engine doors swing open with no one around I didn't believe. Then one night I was laying in my bunk when I was awakened by a creak in the floor at the far end of the house. A moment later the floor creaked a little closer. Then again on the other side of the wall. Then at the foot of the bed. Suddenly, the temperature dropped sharply. I mean DROPPED. I wrapped up in the covers and, deciding there wasn't anything I could do about a ghost, went back to sleep. About fifteen minutes later I woke up sweating because the room had warmed back up. It's kind of hard to maintain your doubts after an experience like that.

Other firefighters encountered her in the hall at night as a dark figure, but when they turned on the lights there was no one there.

[This message has been edited by pyroknight (edited 01-26-2001).]

HAMMER14
    Firehouse.com Guest

LFD2203
    So, is Buffy still employed by LFD??
    This Ain't too fair, You can guess me, of course how many people do you know up here?
    Are you an Ex-Lt that moved up? Let me know.

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

This isn't much of a haunting or ghost story. We have a cat that appears and disappears. You can chase it through the bays, living room, bunk room, kitchen, offices and never catch that cat. One Lt. thought he had it cornered, flipped on the light and it was gone. It only appears at night.

tom420
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Our firehouse was built in 1879, it was one of the first firehouses in the area. We have a lifetime member named Henry Paxon, we call him Henny. Henny was a member from about 1900 to about 1950. Usually if you are alone you will hear footsteps in the atic, you will hear doors slam but noone walks in. Once two guys were working on hand tools in the back room and an axe flew off a table and slid into the back of their feet. Once someone saw through the front door window that the officers seat on the truck was open, when he looked down to open the door and walked in the door had already been closed. Nothing more serious happens, but there is always a weird feeling in the place.

Firekat4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our fire dept is haunted by a man named, Mr. Jones. The story dates back many years before we built a new station. Mr. Jones died at the old firehouse from a heart attack after battling a house fire. A chief told me a story once: "I went to the restroom which was off of the hallway. On my way in, I sat my brand new pack of cigarettes on the file cabinet outside of the doorway. When I came out, the cigarettes were lined end-to-end down the hallway." Another firefighter about a year later, had an encounter with a "Mr. Jones Experience." He and another guy were watching TV one night when the clock above the TV flew off the wall, landed in the center of the room, spun around a few times, then landed on a book shelf. When the last and oldest of our trucks was being brought over to the new station, the passenger seat was saved for Mr. Jones. All of the "haunted firehouse" stories never really had me believing, until Mr. Jones gave me a story of my own. I have this thing about open shower curtains...I notice when they are open and I have to close them. I had walked into the restroom to clean it but forgot a trashbag...the shower curtain was open. When I walked back in, about 30 seconds later, the curtain was closed. That is the only story that is personal. Other than that, doors opening and closing by themselves, lights coming on and off, etc, stuff like that. So that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

------------------
    Katrina Williamson

LFD2203
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

hey HAMMER 14, did you know that your old lex. house has rumors of a spirit?? remember Carl Travis?? after he died in 1983, guys swore that strange things went on there. i can remember the water in the kitchen sink coming on by itself. (saw it ruin a whole batch of fudge one day) they say it really picked up when them moved the original eng-8 (the 1965 maxim) out.....
    b t w, i am not the ex-lt with your hair color. he is maj. over dist. 3 on third.....
    keep guessing.

Mr.Meaner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our firehouse isn't haunted, at least not on a regular basis, but one of our engines is.

Two examples I have personally seen and experienced are; first, we were responding to a call in a dark secluded industrial area one night when the engine suddenly sputtered, stalled, and coasted to a stop just before a railroad crossing with no gates. Just as we stopped a freight train came through. The engine started right up and ran fine after the train passed. Second example happened one blazing hot summer afternoon when we were called to a highway construction site for a burning shanty. We pulled up and began advancing the handline when it suddenly seemed like the hose became tangled up in the hosebed. We went back to the engine to check and just then the shanty blew up into thousands of tiny pieces. There were NO tangles in the hose, and it wasn't caught or hung up anywhere.

One story I only heard about; it involves our very old town mechanic, who because of very poor vision was nicknamed Mr. Magoo. While he was driving the engine to the town garage for service a child ran into the street after a ball, and despite his excessive speed, poor vision, bad reaction time, and what should have been a very long stopping distance the engine stopped with room to spare!

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Mr. Meaner, out of curiousity, what kind of engine is it that this happened to?

------------------
    Neptune 33

Mr.Meaner
    Firehouse.com Guest

1968 American LaFrance

One13Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Mr. Meaner,

We have a 69 LaFrance with the opposite problem. It doesn't want to stop..... Of course it's due to it being old and having parts go all the time, don't know how many times it's had the breaks fixed on it. * L * But when the town won't buy you a new one just have to keep fixing what you have. Wish I did have a story to share but in 1972 when Agnes came through the flood wiped out our old Station. I don't know if there was any stories about it because it was before my time but unless you count the Boro administrator and the town council the new building is as far from haunted as can be. The '69 is only 1st out on brush fires which we rarely have in town and is 2nd out on all other calls, 1st out is an '81 LaFrance. We also have a '71 LaFrance Ladder. None haunted just like the building but I've always said the things and changes these pieces have seen if they could only talk the stories they could tell........ But unfortunately no ghosts.

------------------
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S *****!!!

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our firehouse is built on a hill overlooking a bend in the river. Legend has it that the hill was once a burial site for the Native Americans of the area, and we have found arrowheads and pottery each time we've dug to add an addition. I'm not sure if it's 'haunted' but I've been there on some really really hazy hot and humid days when all of a sudden an icy cold colllllld breeze just blows right through the joint.

djohler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Although our building has only been around since the 70's it has its spooks. One night all of the sirens and lights started going off on the ambulance. Doors will close but nobody else is in the dept

wrongWAY
    Firehouse.com Guest

My father's volunteer fire company also found Indian arrowheads while they were digging for an addition to the firehouse back in the 50s, but they also unearthed cannonballs and buttons. If my memory is right, some expert said that the cannonballs were from the American revolution and that the buttons were from a Hessian soldier. (Hessians were mercenaries that the British used against Washington's army). BUT - strange things began happening while those items the firemen dug up were in the firehouse. First off, anyone that touched the items got very ill with high fevers and rash. The guys that actually dug up the items were very bad off; and their feet became swollen and turned black and blue. The door to the firehouse would also swing open just as someone approached, and the doors to the huge cast iron firehouse oven would open and close all by itself. Someone in the company said that they should bury the items; put them back in the ground - and when they did everyone got better, and all the strange things stopped happening.

ldlane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Station 4, has had a few weird occurances, that can't be explained, like one day, we had all the doors locked and had just cleaned the storage room up and I placed some creepers in the corner of the room. It was just me and another guy at the station, and he was on the phone, and I was working at the desk, when I heard some noise out in the bay, well I thought it was my partner, that made the noise, but he was in the back room, and he came out and said who's in the bay, and I said I didn't know so we took a look, probably 30 seconds after the sound and no one was there, but a creeper was placed with wheels up right in the middle of the floor. I know no on could have got in and out before we opened the door. We checked all doors and windows and they were locked. We always hear funny sounds in the station, and our doors are always open in the morning, after we secure them at night. This has went on for years, And its not like everyone in the department knows about this, so I know its not pranksters. But its still weird.

Thread Information