Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    HRFD370
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry About Under 18 Laws in SC

Hey guys,i just signed up with this forum and i would like to say that everyone seems real nice!i joined the fire service about 10 months ago and i truely love it!i have learned a ton from everyone on my department helping me out.recently,OSHA passed a law around november 17th,that anyone under 18 had to start following certain guide lines....these include not riding in a fire apparatus to a call,no fighting any kind of fire,including small grass,brush,anything!cant put up any ladders.the only thing i can do is roll hose and get things people need.i am very angry about this law as i was ust to doing things that needed to be done on a scene.we are a small vol. fire department in harleyville,sc,and any help we get on a scene is great help.i was just wondering what others thought of this law as i feel is it wrong and that people are targeting younger people on purpose.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

HRFD370... the reason for OSHA's ruling can be summed up in one word...liability!

You can still be a great help on the fireground...in a support capability. Once you turn 18, you can start training as an active member and learn as much as you can.

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

cherryvale1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just to give some correction to this problem. The reason this has come up in SC is that the State Fire Academy got a ruling from the NATIONS LABOR LAWS that it is against the CHILD LABOR LAWS for a person under 18 to even be TRAINED as a firefighter. They can take SOME training as an explorer or something like that but they can NOT fight fires.

I do not know if the original poster has been misinformed or what BUT all departments in the US should look into this.

BE SAFE
    BE PROUD
    BE A FIREFIGHTER

cmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

Does anyone know where the documentation on the OSHA ruling is? I looked on www.osha.gov but didnt see anything dealing with this particular topic. All I saw was standards on Fire Protection.

Thread Information