Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    kbud
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question 45 minute SCBA bottles

Our department currently uses MSA packs with low pressure bottles. Our equipment committee is upgrading our pass devices and looking at switching to high pressure packs for the ladder truck (and eventually the engines) and the question is do we want low profile 30 min. bottles or 45 minute bottles(same size as our current)?
    Do any of you use either the low profile 30's or the 45 min. bottles?
    Have you run into any problems with either?
    My general feelings are the extra breathing time of the 45's outweighs any minor weight or size concerns.

Kevin

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have had 45 min 4500PSI bottles for several years and they are great. You are going to hear nonsense about the extra air letting you go farther and stuff along those lines, but this is one of those things that people like to use as an excuse. The extra air allows you to get the job done and is a nice reserve to have on your back as well. It is expecially nice if you do FAST or for use in a RIT pack for a downed firefighter. This is just my expierence. I'd suggest that you look for advice from members of busier companies who use them more than we do.

------------------
    The information presented herin is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

ME93
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our dept just recently purchased the scott 45 minute packs. Haven't had the chance to put them to use yet. We are still trying to train on them. Our old packs are msa 30 minute. So the whole setup is different.

The major reason behind purchasing the 45 minute packs were of course more time and to try to advance our equipment.

------------------
    Fishers Fire Dept.
    FF/Medic
    Local 416

Thread Information