Thread: FF Physicals

William T Crowe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post FF Physicals

I am a nurse practitioner working in an occupational health clinic. After reading several posts re: FF deaths due to cardiac arrest, I am wondering if there are guidelines for annual physicals, including recommended lab studies (cholesterol, etc) and stress tests (stress treadmills, etc)??

Thanks in advance for your answers.

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Full workup when joining including drug screening, EKG, Chest X-Ray, Spirometry.

Age 20-30 physical every 3 years
    Age 30-40 physical every 2 years
    Age 40+ or any Chief Officer every year.

All include the spirometry for evaluation for ability to wear SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus).

ChiefDog
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am presently looking into that for my department. NFPA 1582 (I think, surely in 1500 series) has all the recommendations and even forms to have filled out. I have not gotten to read all of it, but did order the book. You can get it in download .pdf format from NFPA site. (They told me that) for a price. You can get a 1500 series book with explainations to the code highlighted in blue. The medical explaination was from a doctor...

logan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

what is spirometry, is it like scoliosis (however you spell it)

TXFIRE6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Logan, spirometry is a lung capacity test. You blow into a tube, and it measures lung capacity.

------------------
    Any Opinion expressed, are my own, and do not reflect my Department...RB

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

NFPA 1582 covers the medical requirements for firefighters. It gives you all the information you will need.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

ceno2749
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Our department requires the CDL physical for all drivers and highly recommends that everyone else gets them.

logan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

would smoking be bad for spirometry (lung cpacity), would it prohibit you from passing the test?

logan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

would smoking be bad for spirometry (lung cpacity), would it prohibit you from passing the test?

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

I asked a similar question last year and only had one reply. A medical would not pick up some problems but will highlight if you are over weight, high blood pressure, bad eye sight, high cholesterol levels, breathing problems and high stress levels.

In the UK Fire Service we have to attend a medical every three years and all drivers have to attend another medical every three years after their 40th. We also retire from active service when we reach 55 years of age.

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK) www.crowthorneinfo.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Les.H (edited 01-20-2001).]

William T Crowe
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm still trying to learn NFPA 1582, so what I'm going to say is in general. It's not really a matter of "pass/fail" as much as "how much damage is already there."

1 person who did a PFT (pulmonary function test) was 32 y/o, smoked 1 pack per day x 7 years. Though he was totally asymptomatic, his PFT showed early obstructive disease. When I asked him if he knew what emphysema was, he said "yeah, it's an old-man's disease" I told him "guess what, you got it"

Will it keep you from passing?? Depends on your dept's criteria.

You know the simplest way to pass?? Don't smoke!!

Thread Information