Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    HVFD32 Guest

    Question Training requirements for Volunteers

    What do you feel are the training requirements for volunteer firefighter's in your state? Here in Maine we have no real certification, however most in our department are Firefighter one!
    Let me know what you think?


  2. #2
    firelieut14 Guest


    I believe that the state of NJ requires all volunteers to have a minimum of FFI within a certain period (6 months, year, end of probation, etc...) Some departments in South Jersey are starting to send a lot of their guys through FFI, FFII, Hazmat Ops, and even Confined Space Ops/Rescue at a minimum...

  3. #3
    McpFF Guest


    That is true that NJ requires FFI, but it also requires HAZMAT OPS, Confined Space Awareness if you have any potential confined spaces in your response area, ICS 100 along other little things like fit test, right to know, Lt's & Capt's need min. ICS 200, Chiefs 300.
    IMHO, All FF's should be trained to at least FF I before putting on an airpack. This releases some liability from the dept. if something were to happen among other things. Your state Fire Marshall does not have any guidelines for vol. FD's? Turn to OSHA and NFPA guidelines also for help.

  4. #4
    benford1 Guest


    In North Carolina, the State requires each member have a minimum of 36 hours of TRAINING each year. They do not require any certification, however many get Firefighter II certification. This rule applies to both career and Volunteer firefighters. If a member does not maintain 36 hours each year, they are not eligible for any benefits such as the State or Federal Death Benefit and are subject to dismissal from their respective department.

    In our department, I require the 36 hours of training. If they do not reach that each fiscal year, they are placed on 90 days probation. If they do not get 1/4 of the hours for the year (9 hours) in that 90 days, they are subject to dismisal from the department.

    *****The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my department********

  5. #5
    daysleeper47 Guest


    What about Ohio? Anybody know?

    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

  6. #6
    SRVFD2 Guest


    In KY you must have 150 hours (92 required, the rest in optional areas) to be certified, and then 20 hours a year to retain certification. Required hours include 12 in drivers training, 12 in haz mat, 8 in pumps, and 2-5 in a variety of other topics.

    Can't tell you for sure about Ohio - but we had an instructor from there once who was sure impressed with our system. Ohio obviously doesn't need many.

    God is our Fire Chief;
    Jesus is our Incident Commander.

  7. #7
    benford1 Guest


    Another note on NC.......

    When a member achieves Firefighter II certification, they must have 150 hours in a 5 year period in the NFPA 1001 topics to maintain that certification. They still have to have 36 hours each year for the state, so 6 hours can be anything they want. Also, only 12 of the 36 mandatory hours can be medical training.

  8. #8
    WTFDFF10 Guest



    Ohio requires Volunteers to have 36 hours of instruction and pass a written test. It was formerly known as "Firefighter 1-A" but was changed in September to "Volunteer Firefighter."

    My Department augments that with lots of hands-on instruction during our weekly drills and a Training Captain for each probie.

  9. #9
    HVFD32 Guest


    Glad to hear from all of you. I find it intresting to see that other states don't require a certification of some sort. Our job is a risky one, and I feel we need to be trained in doing that job. We are in the process of trying to lower the iso rating in our town, and training (record keeping) plays a big part in that. The iso requires 24 hours per member per month. Just for your knowledge! LOt of time for a volunteer to put on, but time well spent I think!

  10. #10
    SFDE12 Guest


    Not sure of the law in CT, but my department requires Firefighter I in your first year, as well as HAz-Mat Opps. being strongly encouraged in the first year. It is required to ride the rigs.

  11. #11
    xenophon13 Guest


    To be on a vol. dept here you don't have to really have any training, however you are not allowed to participate in interior structural operations until you have been qualified as an OSHA firefighter. If you lack the training they will usually put you on some other no fire related duty such as gathering info. from home owners or doing crowd control at the fire scene. I am sure there is probably more but I am unable to think of it at the moment.

  12. #12
    LisbonTrainingOfficr Guest


    In Lisbon we require our new members to be FF1 within three years. Most do it with in a year. This I believe to be a good requirement. It protects them and the department.

  13. #13
    james35 Guest


    In Oregon, and this county, We require Basic Firefighter and First Responder Cert before you can respond to calls.

  14. #14
    fire69dawg Guest


    Ohio does require a 36 hour course you must attend to be certified, but to me is this enough. I too am surprised that some areas do not require certifications to fight fires. I went through a 240 hour course when I got on the department, i was never through a 36 course. Some of the things that I hear about the 36 hour course is that it is not nearly enough. Just gives them a certification to be killed.

  15. #15
    Tindog18 Guest


    NY requires a minimum of firefighting essentials, the exact hours I don't really remember but it was a week night for at least 4 hours for almost 3 1/2- 4 months. Thats does't make you a interior guy but a fireman. They can be your outside guy pulling a line off the rig or repacking equipment. To be interior by our departmant standards you have to train in interior firefighting evelutions. Attend classes/trainings about firefighter survival and some rescue ops. Fire behavior arson awareness to name a few. The only suggestion is to not limit yourself on the amout of trainings you can attend, or talk indepth with other firefighters(firehouse forums!!).

  16. #16
    Dickey Guest


    Here in Wisconsin, the state requires all personnel that are on scene acting as a firefigter must complete Entry Level part I&II(total of 80 hours of training) and must be supervised by a State Certified Firefighter I when they are operating inside a structure. To obtain Certified Firefighter I you must complete another 30 hours training which includes Haz-Mat Awareness and fire prevention. Certified Firefighter II requires another 40 hours training in Haz-Mat, fire prevention and education, and building construction. To maintain certification the state says you must have continuing education each year but does not specify how many hours. Most full-time departments in the state require minimum of Level I, most of them Level II. My dept. requires Level I certification as well.

    Stay safe,

    Lt. Jason Knecht
    Altoona Fire Rescue
    Altoona, WI

  17. #17
    LtStick Guest


    I don't know if PA has a requires any one to take a course to be a firefighter but, my Department prefers that any one who wants to be an active firefighter take the 88 Esentails of Firefighting Module one course within a year of joining. This is provided that one of the deapartments in the area are having the course. We do not let non trained members do interior operations or other things of that nature.
    I know of at least one Department that requires several courses and aditional in house training to fight fire.

  18. #18
    Ten8_Ten19 Guest


    Regarding Maine training requirements...

    They are set out in State statute 26 MRSA, Chapter 28, Section 2102.

    Most, if not all, departments require IFSTA Modules 1 - 5 be completed before you can do interior firefighting. I believe this is 80 hours of training.

  19. #19


    In KS. Within the last few years the standard has improved for vol. and part time dept's now within Thirty-six months you must complete at least NFPA 1001 FF I and Hazmat Awareness for liability reasons, Before 1998 you could get grandfathered in if you had essentals, not any more, all personell in ks that are on a FF service need these requirements. Our Dept then trains new FF I thru regional schools to prepare them for interior jobs, then we train on a monthly basis to keep skills up and different FF to work in cooperation with each other. Wildland fires are fought with verying techniques depending on the lay out and resorces avalable. We haven't found any college or university program that meets our specific needs on these fires. Since over 80% of our calls are just that field fires, we train all FF our tactics to keep every one of the same sheet of music, and when it works it's beautiful!

    M. Cory Myers

    it's better to load N go then stay N play

  20. #20
    postal79 Guest


    like the others from jersey said you need (in jersey) FF1 hazmat awareness and ops.. in jersey FF1 is 130hrs i do believe.. when i went four years ago it was 3 nights a week 3 hours a night for 3 months
    also IMS level one

  21. #21
    First In Guest


    Texas requires 167 hours to hold a basic volunteer certification. However, this is usually how it goes:
    Firefighter: Sit there on that truck and do what he tells you
    Driver/Operator: Experience in driving dump truck, school bus, big rig, or anything larger than a half-ton pickup
    Officer: Drink beer with so-and-so and host a couple of WWF pay-per-view parties, anything higher than a high-school education or CPR card seems to be a hindrance
    Chief: Whoever has the least amount of people angry at them on the election night

    Yes, there is a volunteer certification program by SFFMA, but unfortunately it takes time, dedication, and a little initiative. I'm striving to get my department to recognize these standards and implement them before letting someone fight fire, drive, or (even worse) be an officer. As long as everything is done on basis of popularity rather than qualifications, don't look for me to be too successful. I know this may sound harsh, but it is true in my area. Thanks!

  22. #22
    CaptainCarp Guest


    My Dept. requires that all new recruits go to the county academy that consist of to nights a week for three hours and saturdays four 8 hours, this goes on for 2 months. During this academy FF recieve basic FF skills, haz-mat, EVAP, asbestos awarness, CPR, first aid. At the end of the academy they can test for FF1. This way when we hire FF it could take our dept. several months to train them were at the academy they come back to us trained.

  23. #23
    FFTrainer Guest


    For you NJ guys out there, you forgot Bloodborne Pathogens. Take a look at the following when you get a chance.

  24. #24
    jizumper-5 Guest


    Here are our requirements(these are the most stringent I have seen for a voly co. in the state) I have to agree with LtStick, PA doesn't actually "require" anything):

    To become an Active Firefighter in the Alpha Fire Company, each member needs to go through a probationary period ranging from 1 year to 18 months......They then must complete their probationary training requirements consisting of First Aid and CPR, NFPA Hazardous Materials Operations (24 hrs), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Essentials of Firefighting Module (88 hrs), State Certified Structure Burn Session (16hrs) and Firefighter One Certification.

    Along with the outside training requirements and certs, each probationary member needs to complete the Alpha Fire Company Pre- Emergency Response Training, (PERT). There are three Company PERTs that each probationary member needs to complete. Each PERT program is broken down into modules, Engine Company (9 modules), Rescue Company (15 modules), and Truck Company (11). Once all of these course are completed the member can work in any of these company jobs as directed by the line officers.

    Keep Safe!

  25. #25
    dvfd48r6 Guest


    Right now NH doesn't seem to strictly enforce and requirements. The Buzz is that Hazmat and first aid/CPR will soon be minimum. Also a possibility of FF1 being required has been discussed. Some guys on the department had taken a vollie oriented course a few years ago, but I took FF1, the vollie course apparently no longer exists

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register