Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fire737
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Wind UP Sirens, For or Against

Just curious we do not currently have wind up sirens on our engines. Was wondering do you FF's like them or dislike them and what is the best brand. Also does anyone know of any good websites with siren sounds?

------------------
    All comments expressed are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the Logan Fire Dept or Local 2148

Dave
    Logan Fire Dept
    Local 2148

FDMichiganMan
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you are referring to the infamous Federal Q, then I don't think you will find a single FF on this site that is dislikes them

Eric

engco2432
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Federal "Q" is by far the best on the market, but i was wondering if anyone has tried the new electronic "wind up style siren". Whelen and Federal both make these and our new Sutphen Platform has been ordered with one on it.Wanting someones opinion on how they sound.
    Stay Safe

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

You hear an electronic siren and wonder if it's a fire truck, police car or ambulance. You hear a "Q" and air horns and you know it's a fire truck! (Unless you work for one of those dept's that puts a Q on an ambulance - you know who you are!)

BayRidge60
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

You gotta go with the "Q". there's NOTHING that clears traffic quite like it!!!!!!

------------------
    Glenn Ralston
    Firefighter/EMT-D
    Bay Ridge Fire-Rescue
    byrdg60@netscape.net

Fire737
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I love the sound of a Q. I hope our new engine has one on it. We do not have any currently but we are hoping to get one. I was pretty sure that everyone liked them.

------------------
    All comments expressed are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the Logan Fire Dept or Local 2148

Dave
    Logan Fire Dept
    Local 2148

firecat1524
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our county EMS got one of the electric "Q"'s and what little I heard of it it sounds ok. You can tell it's not a real Q...but it sounds better than any other electric siren.

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm gonna have a Federal Q2 play at my wedding. There is no sweeter sound than a Q and air horns. Our new pumper is coming with a Q2, and I can't wait.

------------------
    In Omnia Paratus

ENGINE1MEDIC
    Firehouse.com Guest

Federal Q Wind it up and let it scream. Electronic sirens are for Tonka's.

firedoc6
    Firehouse.com Guest

I wish our department would put Q's on our trucks! Only our two rescues have them. We've just recently gone to a Federal Signal electronic. Don't know what model, but I used to hear them out west a lot. My all time favorite is the Whelen 224 wail sound. The Q does move the traffic the best though.

hazmat961
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Federal Q2b's should be required by the NFPA on any fire apparatus bigger than a pickup!!

Q's FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Hazmat961

http://uvfd.homestead.com/home.html

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

A fire truck just isn't a fire truck with out a "Q"!!!! And yes, it should be required by NFPA--for once they'll pass something that makes sence!!:-)

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

All I have to say is Federal Q2B baby!

Tally ho!

Justin
    Altamont vol FD
    Albany co NY

spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

Every real fire truck has a Federal Q.

The Mars siren isn't bad, but it's still no Q.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

I used to ride with a vollie rescue squad that has Q's on the ambuli...and I knew perfectly well that people were only getting out of the way because they thought they were about to get run over by a fire truck

Fire737
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I am all for the Federal Q. I think they sound awesome.

------------------

Dave
    Logan Fire Dept
    Local 2148

ENGINE-2-RESCUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

A "Federal Q" is the only way to go. The combination of that, air horns and the GE Powercall Plus electronic siren make an unbeatable audible warning package!!

RescueJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my opinion the Q2B siren is the only one on the market that is loud enough to be heard by people in cars with the music blasting and windows up.

Jason Manes
    Explorer Capt.
    Colonia N.J.

TCFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The Federal Q is the only way to go. The electronic sirens just don't cut through the insulation, radio noise, and general lack of attention that many drivers display. A 'Q' + air horns will get you there in style and everyone within a couple mile radius will know help is on the way!

eng10drvr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Q all the Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information