Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

the primary line is 150' 1 1/2

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

200ft.1 1/2 200ft.2 1/2 in case there's alot of fire and 100ft.1 1/2 for trash fires.

FFNeal
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. currently uses 1.75" hand lines on all fire calls from vehicle fires to structure fires. They are much easier to move around inside of a structure and put out a good amount of water with the right auto. nozzle. We do not use booster lines except for "mop up" or a small grass fire, etc. With limited manpower, as it is in my dept., 2.5" lines are to large to move around.

medic951
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have three preconnected lines on each truck. 1) 250ft. 1.75" smoothbore attack line, 2) 250ft. 1.75" fog nozzle attack line, and 3) 250ft. 2.5" smoothbore attack line. Funny that you mention, up until 3 years ago we also used booster line on structures. Reason being it was always easy to roll up and go home. Wow! Things have really changed.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

ffeng

Thanks for talking to Buck instead of me. You'll find it more effective to talk to me.

Sure some fires in certain rare circumstances double or triple in size, but only for a short period of time until they like all interior fires become oxygen limited and rarely are fuel starved like a christmas tree.

However they do not double every 30 seconds as the question or statement was posed.

NFPA and others you quote support what I'm saying. If the majority of fires that kill citizens the burns for more than 40 minutes before the FD knows there is a fire.

How big was the fire to double every 30 seconds at time of ignition? 40minutes allows a doubling at least 80 times.

1500 sq ft home 8 foot ceilings

12000 cu ft

divide that by 2 - 80 times

Answer? Put 19 zeros behind the decimel point and that is how big it was. You could put 100,000 on the head of a pin.

In 6.6 minutes the fire is less than 1 cubic foot in size.

78% of all fire deaths the fires don't double at 30 second intervals. Or if in fact they are it isn't a big deal because the fire is so small when it starts that we've got over 15 minutes before we can see it with the human eye. So maybe we should space our stations further apart to deal with this silliness.

I don't think so. I'll refer to you math for clarification. Please give a real world example we can see.

And for the gentleman who said 150 gpm through a booster is impossible, it's been going on for years, the average rig in europe uses a 1500 psi reel.

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department uses 150' 1.75" preconnects on all apparatus and the Tower has an additional 150' 2.5" preconnect. Our Engine/Tanker also has a Skid Load (200' 3" to a gated wye then 150' of 1.5) for rural structure fires.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

craiggEMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We use 1 3/4" preconnects. We did use a combo of 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" but the 1 1/2" was phased out.

Stay Safe, Stay Alive!!

ChiefMcD
    Firehouse.com Guest

1 3/4"
    2 1/2"

ffeng
    Firehouse.com Guest

LHS,
    You guys want everyone else to quote a source. I gave them to you - it's black and white in NFPA 72, Factory Mutual fire test reports, NIST reports, etc. You don't mention one source I can go to. Like I said, practice what you preach.
    Let's see some sources. Give us some real sources that we can go to and that will verify what you say.
    I gave you actual sources of the data. You don't even make mention of those sources and just start making unsubstantiated comments.

First, acknowledge the sources I quoted and either recognize their legitimacy or refute them with real data or some other source.
    Second, if you are then going to make different claims - give us the source of your data/information.
    There's a sign in the testing lab I work next to. It says "1 test is worth a 1000 expert opinions."
    I'm not interested in your opinion of fire growth. If you've got real data or a recognized source, let's see it.

FFEMTP1163
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have gone to using 2" almost exclusively. We have found that while the 1 3/4" is more manuverable, the knock down potential of the 2" with a nozzle setting of 150 gpm is quicker. We run both sizes on our engines and our quint.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sources both NFPA Fire Protection Handbook and Almanac. Oh, and real life, everyone on this forum knows fires do not double every 30 seconds, it isn't true.

hef8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

1.75" with a TFT auto nozzle is a very workable line. We use it on all attacks(except for that big fire that may happen once a year). We flow at 150psi as SOP. Some guys like a little less pressure, but 150psi feels just right for me.

"smoke'em if you got'em"

Thread Information