Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    LT-5-11-1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question RIDING QUALIFICATIONS

Basicly this is directed more toward volunteer company's,, but what i was wondering is, does your department have certain qualification that must be met before a member is allowed to ride a certain apperatus or is it pretty much any one can ride that is a member.
    thanks for the input
    LT-5-11-1

Truck109
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

In our Dept. there is nothing to really dictate where a rookie rides, but should they have had training or are training on the pumper, they will likely ride that rig and if there is sufficient manpower they will stay back with the operator and get some "on the job training.
    Other than that it's pretty much get a ride or stay behind.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

In the past we have had no policy, but in the last year we implemented a certification process. It's basic foundation is learning the location of all the equipment (hand tools, lights, etc) learning how things operate such as starting the generator, etc.

When the member feels they learned this information, they can approach the station Captain or Department Training Officer to take a test on it. The test basically consists of "Go get me the K12, start it/shut it down, check it fuel level, etc"

We generally look for no more than one compartment door opening, safe, sucessful operation of any power tool requested, etc.

There is a clearance test for each piece of apparatus and you can only ride those units that you have passed the clearance test for.

RescueCoFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

From my past experience as a Volunteer and now as a Career Fireman Each seat assignment has a specific task. For example: The Chauffer and officer are in front; seated behind the Chauffer is the hydrantman, seated behind the officer is the nozzleman. Now seated in the rear forward facing seat opposite of the nozzleman is the ironsman and on the left side facing the hydrantman is the back up fireman. Once the hydrantman finishes the hook up along with the Chauffer he is the doorman on the hose team .

Each of these seat assignments is also a sort of rank. The lowest being the hydrantman; Next is the irons or back up man, then the nozzleman. excluding ofcourse the Chauffer and Officer seats.

For our ladders it is a bit different, we have our Chuaffer and Officer, then the canman, outside vent man (OVM) and roof team. with the canman being at the bottom. he assists with the jack/outrigger set up. Though they are assigned these seats at the begining of each tour. Any job can be done by any fireman.

My best recommendation for you to allow personnel to ride is to qualify them on the specific apparatus by having them demonstrate the use and purpose of each piece of equipment on the unit and where it's location is. Also train them on how to operate the apparatus. If it is a Ladder teach them how to operate the aerial. If it's an Engine teach them the basics in pumping. They do not need to know how to drive.

In volunteer departments with more members responding to the firehouse than seats on the rig it seems everyone wants to respond on the rig. You can devote an entire training meetings to operation the each piece of apparatus.

I believe that this is good sense considering the number of volunteers is declining so it would make better sense to have all members trained for every position and task so that the job can be done. Cross train them on the different apparatus in your department for the same reason.

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our department's rookies must complete maintenance checks, which involve removing all the equipment and operating it, on each piece of apparatus four times before being issued a pager. Sometimes we have rookie classes and we often go to weekend fire schools. Most of their training comes from our weekly meetings, and the officers generally keep a hand on them and are aware of their capabilities while on scene. Our department is small enough that we can do that effectively.

------------------
    In Omnia Paratus

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

Anybody from a cadet to the chief can ride. We have drills just for everybody to familiarize with the rigs

at my dept. the qualified firefighters ride the engine, unless there is an open spot. but we usually ride on what ever because we got our salvage truck that can carry many people that goes on just about everyone, all we care is that everyone responding gets to the scene
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

At my Dept. (combo) we allow new volunteer recruits to ride on the rig, if there is a seat open. They are not allowed near the danger zone and generally stay with the operator. They are never allow to sit in a seat with a SCBA and should never take a radio or any other tools. We really try to bring them in close once the danger is past so that they can get some OJT. The very first time someone shows up we make them sign a waver, I sure its not worth the paper its written on, but it says they won't sue us or the city if they get hurt.

Forum Member

we dont have any policy for who rides what or anything. who ever gets there gets the seat.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Default Ride Positions

As with a few of the folks who have already responded, we have no specific seating arrangements either. Our Explorers can ride the rigs if there is room, depending on how many members show up for the call, and what the call is. Obviously, if there are members around and we get a reported structure fire, we would want the interior guys on the first due, packed and ready to go.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber SkipJack270's Avatar

The only qualificatioon thing is more of a courtesy to the constituiants. if the call is a BS call, for instance, auto alarm or something that has a very low possibility of nbeing anything important, anyone can ride anything. but if the call is something that takes qualified people (for a smoke in structure type call, aka pack qualified), then generally those without the qualification will yield to someone else. but since we bring most of our apparatus to most calls, seating is usally not a problem anyway.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Must complete FFI before riding the truck to any call. Before completing FFI, they must POV to the call. All probationary members are assigned to the weekly truck inspection detail, while other members are rotated. This gets them familiar with all aspects of the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

If we had "seating arrangements", we probably wouldn't have anything roll out the doors. Not really meant as a joke, but not really quite true either.

Basically though, the Chief normally rides "officer" in the Rescue, but the rest of us pretty much take what is either left behind, or more importantly, which is a "priority vehicle" ie, the big red truck to squirt wet stuff on the red stuff. The smaller yellow one is for the FR type calls.

For training and "Probie Checks" though, to be allowed to drive any vehicle is first to qualify on it. That means knowing where all the gear is located, how to use said gear, district famil, and time just driving around with it. Everyone pretty much starts to learn the F350 crew cab, learns the pump (22hp, 100gpm, 150gal cap/foam) and where the tools are stored. Then he/she will "graduate" to the Rescue truck, but this one takes more time because of all the gear in it. Lots of hand tools as well as mechanical stuff, and the medical gear.

Besides knowing the contents of the vehicle though, how well you handle the truck under normal conditions determines how soon you will or will not be allowed to drive during a response. Example, I was allowed to drive (when no one else was avaiable) before I actually quailfied on the Rescue. But we try to stay away from doing that as much as we can.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information