Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    batt42
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question attack line configurations

Curious to see how other departments/companies pack their attack lines. Currently we are using the triple-pack on all our lines ranging from 150 - 250 feet in length. We have tried the minute-man load in the past, but many members dislike it for a variety of reasons. There has been some discussion on packing our 250' 2" lines (off the tail) with the flat load. My opinion is that load will be a nightmare to stretch/flake, especially if the engine is minimally staffed. Looking for other opinions...

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

First of all.. What type of beds do you have on your firetrucks. Do you have room on the bumper for an attack line, or any room for crosslays. Or does everything come off the back?

batt42
    Firehouse.com Guest

1st out engine has 4 crosslays trifolded at 150' and 200'. We also have two 250' preconnects off the rear currently trifolded. These rear lines are the ones that may be changed to a flat load. No attack lines off the front, just suction.
    Originally posted by CousinVinny354:
    First of all.. What type of beds do you have on your firetrucks. Do you have room on the bumper for an attack line, or any room for crosslays. Or does everything come off the back?

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

We also use the tri-fold.

Each engine has 2 1.75" (200ft) crosslays and two 250' preconnects off the back -- one 1.75" and one 2". We find that the tri-fold works the best for us -- you just have to remember to come straight off the truck, or have someone stand there and feed it around the corner until its all on the ground.

Flat loads are easier to load, but can be a nightmare if you don't stretch it all the way before charging.

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Use the Minute man on the cross lay. 150" and 200' 1.75". Rear precon is 250' with 1 1/4" SB. 250' long. Minute man also. 150' on top with 100' drag. It works in our district and our guys are used to it. It is a training issue. Flat works for bulk beds and supply. I was taught to get the load on your shoulder and lay it out. Dragging it adds to the resistance and it catches on EVERYTHING. If all you have are front lawns, knock yourself out. Come down to my district and you'll be hating life. We got ally's, courtyards. 4 and 5 story walkup's. One way streets with parking on both sides. Yur lucky if you can get the 1st due engine in. The truck, well I hope you can hump ladders.

spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We use minute-man lays on the cross-lays, and have a flat-loaded 2" off the rear. The front bumper of our first due also has a 1" Trash line (150') off the front.

I'm personally a fan of the red-line on our pumper tanker, you don't have to worry about flaking it or anything, it comes off the reel, and you use what you need...

Thread Information