Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Do you call yourself a Fireman or Firefigter???

Are you traditional and say Fireman?...Or politically correct and say Firefighter. Or how bout this one...Emergency Response Technician...paaaleeezzze

Sonny

troll911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

FF. I grew up in the fire service and it has always been FF around here (44yrs. worth, anyways). Not much you can say I'm PC on, but I suppose this is one. Dat mouth of mine shore do get me in trouble sometimes.

esvfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

I only refer to myself as a FF, when i first became a member of the department we had several female FF'S and i learned that when you have this situation you do not say fireman in front of them, they tend to get a little upset. needless to say i only call myself a FF now.

------------------
    Tom Pysh
    President/Lt38-1
    Ellsworth/Somerset V.F.D. www.geocities.com/esvfd3870

[This message has been edited by esvfdfirefighter (edited 01-24-2001).]

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firefighter! It has nothing to do with being "politically correct".

Firemen take care of boilers in HVAC plants!

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Gonzo -

Absolutely. I agree. I fight fires, I don't shovel coal on a locomotive.

FIREFIGHTER.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm just barely out of probation, so i definitely refer to myself as a firefighter...however in my department fireman is a term of respect, one earned by those who *do the job*.

We don't go to work, we go to war!

it must suck to work in a department without any firemen.

[This message has been edited by 15hoseman (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 15hoseman (edited 01-24-2001).]

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Firefighter by trade and by name.

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
    www.crowthorneinfo.co.uk

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Defenetly a Firefighter. I just think it sounds cool.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

RescueCoFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

After reading the last few comments it seems as if some of you see it is more of a macho/tough guy thing to say you "FIGHT FIRES" and call yourself a "FIRE-FIGHTER" rather than a "Fireman". Most of you are more concerned about the public recognition by saying that you are a "FIRE-FIGHTER", and that it sounds tougher or more aggressive than plain old "Fireman" as if to personify the job.

It is a tough job but I think most people know what a Fireman or Firefighter is and what we do. I call myself and my fellow members, both Brothers and Sisters, of my profession, "Firemen". I'm not hung up on whether it is politically correct or not.

I grew up with the term Fireman. I like it much better than Firefighter. It has nothing to do with being traditional.

Webster's Dictionary
    FIRE FIGHTER -see FIREMAN 1
    FIREMAN 1) A member of a company organized to fight fires.

GB

[This message has been edited by RescueCoFireman (edited 01-24-2001).]

Fire Line
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Emergency Incendairy extinguishing technician

Grandfather was a fireman for CP Rail

I'm a firefigher

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firefighter.....just sounds better.....

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I call myself both interchangeably...nowadays I say Firefighter more than Fireman. Don't know why...maybe because I am certified as FireFIGHTER 2 and not Fireman 2...

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firefighter. I am far from PC in many respects, but I guess I am PC on this although that is not the reason. I think it is more descriptive of the work we do and it has nothing to do with wanting to sound macho.

Does anyone remember Farenheit 451? The firemen lit fires, they didn't fight them.

Trivia question that you should all know. Why was the title of the book (and movie)Farenheit 451?

[This message has been edited by iwood51 (edited 01-24-2001).]

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

My first uniform shirt said "Probationary" on an orange tag over the pocket. My second one said "Firefighter".

Although, after I went through ones that said "FF/EMT", FF/EMT-A", and "FAO", I still called myself a firefighter. The only time I ever heard "Fireman" in conversation, it was referring to E-3 & below non-rates in the engineering section on a Navy ship. If it was a civilian ship I think they'd be called "stokers", but the Navy calls them Firemen. They grow up to be "Boiler Technicians" or "Machinist's Mates"

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I vote for FireFighter. Although with the amount of shoveling of snow from hydrants so far this winter I could probably be mistaken for the poor Fireman shoveling coal into a furnace on a locomotive....

benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Definitely a FIREFIGHTER!

To me, a fireman is just some one, male or female, that belongs to the fire dept. that just pust the wet stuff on the red stuff. A firefighter is someone, male or female again, that has put in the time a training to understand all they can about fire and different ways to FIGHT it, whether through suppression tactics or by prevention all together.

------------------
    *****The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my department********

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use both interchangeably. Official rank is Firefighter and when in the public introduce myself as Firefighter Grudzinski. But most of the public still refers to us as Firemen.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Ladder Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I like the term FIREMAN...Since women are not men they should be called FIREFIGHTERS. If a woman wants to be called a FIREMAN, so be it. If a man wants to be called a FIREFIGHTER then so be it. If your feelings get hurt because of a title, GROW UP! As far as the Dictionary Wars are concerned, I have looked up the word FIREMAN, and FIREFIGHTER in 7 different dictionarys. In all, the number 1 definition refers to each other, and putting out fires. The number 2 definition for FIREMAN is one who works on a boiler. It's pretty safe to assume that in forums that talk about the fire service, when people talk about FIREMEN, they are talking about the number 1 definition. If your dictionary says the number 1 definition is someone who works on a boiler, then you will probably have a tough time figuring out what everyone else is talking about...

Be Safe!

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are refered to as Firefighters,But little kids tend to call us Firemen

Got Electricity?

DFDRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I usually go by Chaplain!

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use the term firefighter, though someone in my dept. in a misguided attempt at being PC used the term Fire Person. I think those are the mythical beings made of fire.

dmstreet
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use FF, but most of the public I have met and deal with still call us "firemen", including my mother, who loves to brag about me to her friends! Old habits die hard even in these times of PC.

------------------
    Donald M. Street
    Volunteer Captain
    Maryland City VFD
    Anne Arundel Co. 27
    Laurel, MD

hagerff/emti
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firefighter is what were called here.

isnt there a song called: I'm a Fireman that's my name???

------------------
    D. Hager
    FF/NREMT-I
    West Trail Amb. Svc
    Mayville FD

REAL HEROES WEAR SCBA'S NOT CAPES

We will eat smoke and pull out bodies as long as they continue to build them. Just once I would like them to ask one of us how to build it!!

Joaquin Homen FFPM HMR-9
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

For eighteen years I have been proud to be called a firefighter...The reason, I am lucky and honored to be paid to save lives and protect property...Not,as one mentioned, to stoke a boiler or start book fires to keep the masses in check....As to PC...This has never entered my mind and I really don't care what someone wants to be called,it's how they do their tasks on the job. Stay safe and keep the faith. :rant: jack

BTFD11-19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

HOSEMAN, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information