Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MTNRESQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Has anyone used a TurboDraft

Has anyone used or have saw demos of a turbodraft?

I read an article in Fire Aparatus that talks about them and if the work as good as they say our deparment would have many uses for one. for anyone who has not seen one It works like a jet syphon with 350 ft of 5 inch and a 2 1/2 supply line they had water flow in under 4 minutes, they say you can bring 800gpm up a 30ft lift, 600gpm up a 35 ft lift, 590gpm up a 40 ft lift and 250gpm up a 48 ft lift, this seams suprising to lift water 48 ft. If anyone has seen one post and let us know who it works

------------------
    Barry Butrymowicz FF/EMT

The views expressed above in no way represent the views of Mountain Ambulance Service or Riverview Fire Department.

Remember if it is bleeding - bandage it, if it is on fire - put it out.
    and extricate when you have to.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Navy has used them for years and years.....a different name, though. I am currently expieriencing a brain fart and can not remember the name of them. When I worked at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Fire Dept, we had a "dewatering" unit, which was set up specifically for that purpose- dewatering the inactive fleet ships in the basin that sprung leaks. I can't remember the exact flows, but we fed them with 2.5 inch hose, and they had 4.5 discharges. They worked beautifully.....My third shift, we got called to the USS Saratoga, which had a 3 degree list to the port- to make an aircraft carrier list 3 degrees, that a bookoo lotsa water...(some sort of seapipe broke in the freezing temps....) anyways we put four of these pumps in service, and The Saratoga stabilized about 6 hours later.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

MFP747
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

You may want to check out several of the other forums that have been posted in the last few months about the Turbodraft. Search Turbodraft in the forums section. The unit is designed to provide 670 gpm at 10 ft and 100 ft of 5" hose. Field tests have shown that these numbers are conservative and users are seeing 670 gpm at distances of 200 ft or greater. The the flows discussed in the article at lifts over thirty feet are when the unit is being used in conjunction with a dry hydrant or hard suction pipe. The primary use of the unit is to provide a means to gain access to water sources outside the range of hard suction lines using 5" LDH. The company that manufactures the TurboDraft (Schutte & Koerting) is the same company that manufactures the navy eductors. They have adapted the design to meet the needs of Fire departments and increased the flow capabilities. You can get more info at www.turbodraft.net

[This message has been edited by MFP747 (edited 01-27-2001).]

Thread Information