Antipyro77
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Calls that gave you chills?

I thought it might be time to get a positive post going. I'm sure its been on here before, but. Has there been a call, that you have gone on, that made you feel really good or gave you chills?

Stay safe, i'll look forward to your stories

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I was on a call at a Structure fir at a Senior Citizen Apartment type building and after the fire was out and When we started helping the people back into there apartments and them calling us there Guardian Angels etc...It made me feel real god cause I know I did something to help someone in a bad situation....

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

There was this vehicle accident I went on a few years back at 3am where a chevy van hit a semi head on. The driver of the van had his seat belt on but the impact was so great that the twisted metal from the crash cut his belt away throwing him from the vehicle. It was estimated that they were both doing 65mph on impact.I went over to where the ejectee was laying face up on the ground to check for vitals. I put my hand on his chest and I could feel his backbone, pretty freaky he was nothing but jelly.So we covered him up and waited for the coroner.Needles to say the semi truck had minmal damage and it's occupants were ok. One of the better calls I went on was where this 8yr old girl got her foot stuck in the spokes of her bike. A pair of bolt cutters took care of the job nicely and she was so happy to get un stuck that she gave me a kiss and a hug. Which made all those BS calls in the past seem worth while. Something like this comes along and makes our job a little easier.

80FIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I used to be a volenteer EMT on our rural ambulance service and have been on a large variety of calls. Anything involving children would give me chills. My best call was for a 95 year old lady from a nursing home. She had fallen and hurt her sholder.
    She told me that it did not hurt that bad but thought she should have it looked at so it didn't bother her later in life. NO, she was not off in left field. She was as sane as me and you. Kinda makes you think doesn't it

RomeChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I believe the one that gave me he chills the most was one night we recieved a call for a brush fire in a very remote and secluded area in our township. Upon our arrival at 2:00 am in this already creepy area we found a graveyard that was burning. To me what could be creepier than flames coming up around graves

------------------

Mr.Meaner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Last Spring my volunteer Engine Company was first due at a lunchtime fire in a truck dealership and repair center that had a bow string truss roof.

Upon arrival we were assigned to "B" side by Command for an exterior attack. The fire spread rapidly, and we were relocated to "C" side for master stream deployment.

Shortly thereafter the roof and "C" wall collapsed showering us with bricks. The intensity of the fire rapidly increased and our Engine sustained several thousand dollars worth of heat damage before we could shut down, disconnect supply lines, and move.

I got a very bad case of the chills watching the news on TV later that night. They showed taped footage of the fire taken by the news copters. Seeing that roof fall in and watching that wall just miss us gave me chills like I never had before.

PS: Thank you Vincent Dunn - Your book saved a lot of lives that day!!

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

This past summer we were dispatched to a bus carrying handicapped people and a 4-door car carrying a family of 4. This was a head-on on a 2 lane stretch of road north of our area. Initailly there were a mother and 2 year old boy killed on arrival. An elderly handicapped individual expired at the hospital and a 5 month old girl also passed on after being flown from here. The father of the car lost his whole family right there on the road way. It took us a little bit to extricate him. He was comatosed for 3 weeks. When he regained conciousness he was asked if he remembered what had happened and where his family was he stated that he had been with them and he still had work to do here in this life and was not ready to die yet. That was a pretty devastating call. It was at a time we were running non-stop night and day for wildland fires locally. But at the same time it was very uplifting with finding the rest of this out. Still gives me goosebumps and chills to think about it!

Stay safe all,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Even after 28 years and hearing the same radio message more times than I care to remember ,it still sends chills through me.The simple radio message is "people trapped".

WFDRescue2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Probably the wost call I ever ran was back in St. Louis. A disgruntaled boyfriend left his girlfirends house went out the gas station. got 3 gallons of gas in lawnmower containers and doused his girlfirends appt. He lit the exterior steps on fire and because of the building construction the thing went up like a tinder box...

This all happened directly across from one of our engine houses...the captain saw the first flames. The appt was almost engulfed. The woman jumped 3 stories broke both her legs. Her 5 kids and mother weren't so lucky...I arrived with the 3 alarm companies and pulling these kids out of the closet they were hidding in was the toughest thing I've ever witnessed.

The boyfriend was found about three blocks away at a friends house and was brought back by P.D. to get a positive ID on by the captain on duty. He almost didn't make it out of their alive...

------------------
    Rescue Squad #2
    "First In ~ Last Out"

WFDRescue2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Probably the coolest thing I've witnessed was a fireman flying...

In a appartment building that had heavy fire a crew was up on the 3rd floor doing S&R and because of decent visibility they split for a second to search different bedrooms. Tim (one of the two) got about midway through the room when he turned to see the paint on the walls begin to bubble. Thinking the room ws going to flash and raost him to a crisp he decided to take his chances out the window. I wsa on pump ops and all I saw was tim's helmet go flying out the window and Tim following it...

I know you may not believe me, but the instant Tim was airborn, Truck 15 was making a raise to that window. Tim grabed on to the side of the ladder through himself over and climed down...

By the way...
    He picked up his helmet, changed his pack and went back in...

SEE YALL AT THE BIG ONE.

------------------
    Rescue Squad #2
    "First In ~ Last Out"

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Romechief:

I think I can top that one. Same situation except our tanker (2000 gal standard trans. pumper tanker) blew the Universal Joint. I got stuck sitting with the truck until a replacement could be obtained. Talk about scared s**tless. One of the problems of being a rookie.

hazmat961
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

One of the worst calls was almost one year ago today. Mid-afternoon structure fire, reported no entrapment. We had been on the scene for about 10-15 min when our Assistant Chief and one of other firefighters ran out of the house yelling for a paramedic, with an elderly womans body. She had been covered with falling celing tile and nobody saw her untill then. I was within 5 feet of her early in to the fire and I still wonder if myself or the other firefighter with me would had seen her then if she would have made it. Everyonce in a while I just wonder.

Hazmat961

djohler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Having been a member since only June 2000, I have not witnessed too much carnage, but one call really gave me the chills.

We were sitting in the station one night listening to the normal hum-drum on the radio.

A neighbor engine was going to a medical box when they came on the air:

"Engine 151 to Calvert"
    "Go ahead 151"
    "151 Has been involved in a 10-50 PI at 261 and Breezy Point Road"
    "You are involved?"
    "151 is involved"
    -20 second pause
    "151 is rolled over"

Our ambulance was first on the scene. I will never forget coming around the bend and seeing the wheels of a fire engine sticking up in the air. It really scares you sh#tless. Of the four guys on board, three were okay and one was flown. The one who was flown was released that week and as far as I know has no permanent physical scars.

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

djohler, this one is simalar. I wasn't at this one, but i was at home over the summer listening to a barn fire in the upper portion of the county. slightly after the chief on scene reported a working fire, i heard the company who's box the barn fire was in get toned out for a vehicle extrication. the battalion chief on scene was screaming for more rescue apparatus to the scene, and all i could think was a fire fighter was involved headed to the station. as if that didn't make me shiver enough, the county came over and asked what the situation was. my heart almost stopped when he reported that engine 27 had rolled and 3 of the eight ff's were trapped under the wreckage. all luckily were ok after some hospital time. Another one that freaked me out was when a tri axle dump truck slammed into two cars at an intersection and then went into a bank. i had the opportunity to look inside the bank after all the victims were extricated, and knowing that wherethere were people standing doing a routine thing as depositing money in their account, there was now a large, smashed in truck. its a wierd feeling.

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Ford45,
    I rember that one with 27s. I live a little bit south of them. I still have them in my prayers and I rember that everytime we get hit out for a call

Everyone else,
    The call that gave me chills was a brush fire. We were going up and the county was talking about putting a helicopter on standbye for us. We weren't even on scean yet. Finally we get there. We were dispacted to a simple little brush fire. Well, what we had was a burning....body. Guy decided to end it all with a match in the middle of a field.

Kyle
    Chalfont Fire Company

djohler
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would like to hear from anyone in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre (Pa) area who was on the call when Hyattsville rolled their tiller truck. What was that like for you?

da6499
    Firehouse.com Guest

About 9 months ago we had a mutual aid call for a rollover with 4 victims. I was the first truck from our department out and pulled up to the scene to see one of my sister's best friends car on its hood and could not remember if she was at my parents house when I left there for the page. The 10 minutes it took to find out who the victims were, were the worst in my 10 years of service so far.

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Well guys this is the worst one for me. (sorry it's a little long and drawn out, but with out the details it won't mean as much) This happened about 4 years ago. I was in a different department, same county but other end of it. I was still living at home then also. My stepdad (who is a capt. in that dept) and I were walking out the door to go to the funeral of a firefighter (police officer by profession) from a neighboring dept who had committed suicide suddenly. Our dept got toned out for a sturcture fire, knowing that everyone else would be at the funeral, and feeling that he would rather us be fighting fire that attending his funeral anyway, we decided to respond to the fire. We lived farther from the station than anyone else in our dept so it was a bad feeling to start when we picked up the first truck from our dept, knowing we would be short handed. The second due company arrived first and advised that the structure was fully involved, roof already colapsed. We arrived and they had lines off their trucks, so I left my stepdad with our truck and went to see what I could do on the fire ground. The house was on the ground so we they were just keeping the propane tanks cool,and putting out what they could, and trying to get a water supply established. I went back up the hill(the house was at the bottom of a hill with muddy road only one of the trucks could get down, the droptank and a pumper were at the top) to help with water supply. A third company had been called and responded with a tanker. The driver was unfamiliar with the area so I rode with him to show him where the hydrant was. We refilled and headed back to the scene. I got back on the our truck with my stepdad at the scene and a firefighter from the 2nd due got in the other truck. They left for the hydrant first. My stepdad and I met on the road as we were going to the hydrant and they were returning to the scene. We filled up and headed back. About then our dept got paged for a MVA on the road we were on. At first I figured it was on the opposite end from where we were. But as we approached the fire scene we came up a blind curve. I remember seeing a busted hose appliance laying the road, then broken red warning light, then a mangled ladder, this all seemed to go in slow motion as we rounded the curve. And when every thing was in plain view, there was debris and water all over the roadway,a tanker upside down off the road, and two firefighters laying in the roadway. For those of you who have not seen this sight (I certianly hope none of you ever do) this is the most chilling thing you can ever see as a firefighter or emt. I advised dispatch that we were on the scene of the accident and it was involving the 3rd due's fire truck, then i'm not sure where i threw my portable radio as i jumped out a ran to the first firefighter, he said "check the driver out first, he's bad". Another member had approached from the opposite end and gotten to him first, he just looked and me and shook his head, the driver was gone. He had been ejected and the truck rolled over his face. I returned to the passenger, I know him well, he was only 17. He was conscious, he had already gotten out of his turnout gear, and was laying shivering soaking wet, where the water had dumped out of the truck. He said the he too had been ejected, he remembered seeing tree tops, and thought his back was broken. (he ended up with a broken pelvis) I held c-spine and talked to him and assisted packing him. Then placed him in the ambulance when it arrived. Everyone on scene was visibly devistated, my stepdad worst of all. The magnitude of the whole thing didn't hit me until a few hours later(i guess training and instinct overrode my emotions long enuff to get the job done). It was bad enough for everyone involved. But if the wreck had happened 15 minutes earlier, 1 trip earlier, that would have been me all busted up, or even worse. This will really make you think,about why not you, about that someone up there is looking out for you, that you must have some purpose in life. I read it that mine was to help people, and fire/rescue is my means to help. The most chilling thing has to be this: The driver of the tanker who died was the first on the scene of the other firefighter's suicide. He too had been on the way to the funeral when the call came out. When I was in the truck with him, we were talking about it and he said "I'd rather be out on a fire call that at a funeral any day". Three days later, we were all at HIS funeral. His radio number was retired after that and since then I've worn it on the helmets that I've had, and will always wear it on my helmets as long as I'm doing this stuff. Everybody please be careful and stay safe! This doesn't need to happen to any more of us.

fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

One day ealry in the summer of 2000, i cant remember exactly when it was, we were toned out to a working structure fire, just west of our station. We were the first engine on the scene, and quickly set up for an interior attack. The house was built tight, and very little smoke was escaping, and of couse, it had not vented itself yet. As we forced the door, i feared that it would backdraft, but luckily it did not and only turned out to be some papaer burning on the floor. We also found a lit hand torch in the attic. From the get-go the structure had something about it that seemed eerie. After we extinguished the fire Me and another fireman made a primary search of the building. We search the kitchen and the living room of the single floor building first and then mad our way to the bedroom. Upon entering the bedroom we found a body, and at first didn't notice that half of his face was missing because that house was not yet well ventilated, but with a closer veiw we noticed the 12 guage shotgun and the blood splatter across the adjacent wall. We immediatly exited the structure and reported what we found to the OIC. It seemed like every Law enforcement officer in the county was there within 5 minutes. We never found out exactly what the sheriff's conclusion was, but the best that i can figure is that that guy set his house on fire, and shot himself. I guess he was going to use the fire to cover everything up. It turned out that i had met the guy before and he had been a roomate of a cousin of mine. I think about finding another site like that every time I enter a structure fire, it seems like it is always in the back of my mind.

Another call that I will always remember is a First Responder call that we recieved about the same time period, It came out as a pediatric Code Blue, and of course anything involving children sends chills down your spine automatically. I was second on the scene, and we found a 8 month old child that had been deceased for several hours. It was bone chilling to find a human that had only been ion this world a short amount of time laying there in his crib, completely lifeless. Sometimes stuff like that almost makes you want to cry.

Thread Information