nobull911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool What extra equip. is nessecary

It seems a lot of FFs carry some line or webbing with them in their bunker gear. can someone give me some examples of how this can be used to escape from a dangerous situation. I have heard that if not trained in how to use this correctly it could be more dangerous than helpful. Also I what can I use to attach a flashlight or a wood wedge to my helmet?

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Webbing is handy for hauling someone around when you need or want someone to help you pull. Two people can run it around a victim in various ways and pull. It can also be used to secure someone to a back board, immobilize a combative patient, or lift equipment to heights or depths.
    You can secure lights and sprinkler wedges to your helmet with large rubber bands, which should be available at a shipping company. Just be sure not to use or even caryy a flashlight that is not explosion-proof when entering a hazardous atmosphere. I say don't even carry one because you're instincts toturn it on may over ride your brain for a second.

------------------
    Be safe.

allhands
    Firehouse.com Guest

i feel like you are one of my new recruits as i have been sending replys to you all night. Thats not a bad thing. A piece of inner tube from a tire shop can be cut into the band you want to use around your helmet. As for the rope...I carry 35 feet of 4000 lb rapelling line in my gear. I can use it to tie off to an aerial, as a tag line. or tie it to a big object and in a real emergency slide down it to escape a third floor. I might get hurt, but its better than diving.

Texasff62
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well No Bull as a fellow Texan, I am going to do my best, but first, FIREHAT87 is a complete and utter waste of human flesh and any answer he gives should be discredited

Webbing or life line can be beneficial in search and rescue, extrication overhaul, the uses are endless if you can think it up it probably has a use. I carry a webbing loop in my coat. A door chock can also be used as a wedge, but it is better kept in a pocket in a coat or pant. depends on the depts protocol. Flashlights are beneficial and should be carried at all times in any VIABLE situation use your head that's my best advice. Good Luck

------------------
    Kevin Wiseman
    Oklahoma State University School Of Fire Protection
    Ponderosa FD, Houston Texas

esvfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

I also carry 40 feet of rope in my gear..mainly I would only use it if I had to escape quickly from a dangerous situation...I would rather get injured from sliding down this rope that get killed, you can recover from injuries...
    The idea of using this escape rope in my gear was actually given to me by a state instructor who was teaching an essential of FF at our station. He told us that it might not be the safest thing to do, but it makes your chances of survival that much better..

------------------
    Tom Pysh
    President/Lt38-1
    Ellsworth/Somerset V.F.D.
    www.geocities.com/esvfd3870

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Whatever you use... make sure that you practice with it. Start low. Practice your "tie-offs" or biners on the ground and make sure they support you. Make sure that whatever you use is properly rated. Get "professionally trained" by attending a hands on seminar some place. Practice. Ask your officers in your station for assistance. Oh, did I say practice? Practice as if your life depends on it... IT DOES!

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

NoBull911, contact Michigan State University and request their training manuals on Rapid Intervention and Rescue. Excellent source for this information.Using the tubing from an old tire is excellent and a time honored tradition, works great. If you get the manuals train and practice the techniques, it'll pay off.Just remember keep up to date with your knots.

WFDRescue2
    Firehouse.com Guest

All these suggestions are viable, but I would offer a couple hints of advise.

1) Every so often check the inner tube of the tire band you are using on your helmet. We had one snap at the station and shoot a coffee mug off a counter..really cool actually...

2) I would HEARTILY suggest putting a flashlight on your helmet. So guys put them on their left breast of their coat..only problem...if your crawling or belly down in a working structure your going to light BELOW you...not in front of you...

But that is just my two cents

See ya @ the BIG one!

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

nobull911 - I carry a piece of rope in my gear. Like Firekatz04 stated, you need to practice with whatever you use. Used properly, a short piece of rope can be used in a search and rescue to clear a room much faster. As for the flashlight - best damn thing you can put on your helmet. Look in Galls - I just got a new one a while back and it is nice - but do not get the Mini-mag and holder - they suck!!! I keep a flashlight in my bunkercoat as well. Handy!
    Just my thoughts. Stay Safe!!!

Find em hot..Leave em wet!!

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

With regards to the subject of the post, just remember that nothing is EXTRA if it turns out you need it!!!

Now I'm not saying empty your truck company into your pockets (I've tried, it just doesn't fit ), but I think you guys know what I mean.

Webbing is in both my leg pockets. It is probably the most 'all around' useful item you can carry on your person. It can haul someone out, a closed loop of webbing can form a harness to bail, you can tie off hose, hoist tools, etc. I use it mainly for the utility purposes not for life safety since I carry an escape kit on my SCBA.

A light on your helmet is a good investment. It frees your hands up and it usually shines where you are looking which tends to be a pretty useful feature in a light. Just remember the same when you are facing your partner... It will be shining right in their face.

Stay safe....

gicci
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am not sure how beneficial a long piece of rope or webbing is but I know that a 15 to 20 foot section of 1 inch webbing tied in the center with a water knot(or not tied depending on what you like) is practical. Most of its uses are for rescue or search operations. I have taking several classes that involve saving your own and many of the techniques for rescuing down firefighters involves using webbing.

One of the problems I run into is that I keep my webbing in my front coat pocket. When I am wearing my SCBA, with my waist strap buckled, I sometimes have trouble getting it out of my pocket or it becomes tangled on the other tools I have in my pockets (Pliers,screwdriver,etc..)

As for the flashlight, to each his own, I have a survivor light that i connect to the shoulder strap of my SCBA it doesn't do to bad when i am crawling around(it tends to point up some if you tighten your waist strap then loosen your shoulder straps)

Finally, some people have mentioned bailing out with the rope they keep with them or in there pockets. I know this when it's time to go there's not much time for anything else. I am open to some ideas of quick ways to escape using this rope or webbing.

Thread Information