spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Lessons Learned In The Fire Service

What has your experience taught you? I'm looking more for stuff you've seen/done in the fire service that's rubbed off on life.

After seeing all the drunks wrapped around tress, it's really turned me off to drinking. I've also learned how to set differences aside to accomplish the task at hand. What about you all?

--Spot

------------------
    Challenge Yourself To Rise Above Adversity and Do The Right Thing

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

A couple of things that I have either learned or gotten a not so friendly reminder of.....

1. NEVER take anything for granted. It can all be taken away in the blink of an eye or it can take you away if you're not careful.

2. NEVER assume anything. On a fireground a false assumption can cause injury or god forbid death. In life, a false assumption can cost you a job, a friendship, injury or god forbid death.

3. YES, it CAN happen to you. So many times on a run you hear the homeowner, the driver of the vehicle, etc say "I can't believe this is happening to me, I never thought it would come to this." Unfortunately it does sometimes. That is why we have our jobs as FF's. It also points back to #1 that you cannot ever take anything for granted because you never know when it might not be there.

4. And I guess I always get that reminder of "Murphy's Law" every now and again.

As for your comment on DD accidents steering you away from drinking, you make a good decision, but keep in mind that you do not have to steer away from drinking to avoid a DD accident. You simply have to steer away from Drinking and getting behind the wheel. It is not the simple act of drinking that causes the crash. It is the combination of drinking then thinking you are invincible and getting behind the wheel -- you know that "It will never happen to me" attitude I mentioned in #3 above.

Stay safe!

Otis513
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with FFTrainer.

In my 2 short years in the fire service I have learned a lot of lessons about life. Drinking and driving is one. I stood their a few times and watched as they pulled someone from a car who was killed by a drunk or was drunk. Its terrible.

Otis

------------------

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

1. It's never their fault - someone always did something to THEM - Personal Responsibilty is lacking in the general population.

2. Everyone lies.

3. Not everyone is bad - even when put in a bad situation. (they still lie, though)

4. Alcohol and smoking contribute to greater than 2/3 of our EMS runs. Think about it - are they this sick at age 45 because they ran marathons? Nope. They drank a lot and smoked for 25 years to get their lungs, liver and heart in this condition. Don't drink to excess and don't smoke.

DOG 4035
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Nobody lives forever...
    Life is to short......
    And You got to be in it to win it.....

------------------
    STAY SAFE,STAY LOW

Mr.Meaner
    Firehouse.com Guest

The world is full of good people just having a bad day. Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Rules can be bent but never broken. Look at your crew - if you can't figure out which one of the guys is your weak link - then it's you!

Thread Information