FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Administration of Fire Departments

Lets have some reasonable discussion and input on being an administration of a Fire Department.How many departments out there are contolled by civilian personnel with no fire service background or training i.e. Detroit Fire Department? How do suggest that a department that is run and controlled by these types of individuals try and make a group of civilian yahoos and a cop listen to its organizations professionals and not turn a deaf ear? The officers and unions many written complaints, warnings and political activisim have gone unheeded. Lets keep it civil and consructive.Attacks will only bring more attacks.Lets hear it.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 02-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 02-03-2001).]

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt.,

We have a small volunteer department, which is city owned. The Fire Chief answers to the City Manager, who in turn answers to five Commissioners. Each year one commissioner is appointed to the department. I served as the fire commissioner for four years. The first thing I did was start attending meetings, training and business. I also did some research through magazines, and other firemen. This forum has been an endless source of information for me.

I think the most important thing I did was listen and respect the Chief and the other volunteers. When I ran for re-election I had the support of the department, which brings me to my suggestion for you.

When you have candidates running for election, get to know them. Invite them to the station for a "hall meeting". Let them know you carry a lot of weight with the citizens in your district. Work with them, I hate to say this, but obligate them to you. It will pay off in the long run.

Have you tried a one on one meeting with any of your political leaders. Show them where you're coming from, do your homework. Don't just show up and say this isn't right. Give them facts, figures, and a solution.

If that doesn't work, get a petition going. That always causes a politician to sit up and take notice, if it's validated by voter signatures. Use a petition as a last resort, many elected officials will get angry and turn away from you for making so much noise with their constituents.

Sorry, I can't help more. Remember also, some of us really aren't "yahoo's", we do want to help, and we depend on you to tell us how.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the input comwhite,but unforunately we are an urban department and not a small community. We have consistantly fought on all levels with statistical studies with the facts and proof.. This was given to the city council when we appeared before them over 2 years ago. They chose not to heed our warnings. Our commissioner and his cronies are appointed by the mayor, not elected. It's apparent here that the citizens feel this mayor is their man regardless of how they treat the F.D. Again thanks for your input, I appreciate it.Originally posted by comwhite:
    Lt.,

We have a small volunteer department, which is city owned. The Fire Chief answers to the City Manager, who in turn answers to five Commissioners. Each year one commissioner is appointed to the department. I served as the fire commissioner for four years. The first thing I did was start attending meetings, training and business. I also did some research through magazines, and other firemen. This forum has been an endless source of information for me.

I think the most important thing I did was listen and respect the Chief and the other volunteers. When I ran for re-election I had the support of the department, which brings me to my suggestion for you.

When you have candidates running for election, get to know them. Invite them to the station for a "hall meeting". Let them know you carry a lot of weight with the citizens in your district. Work with them, I hate to say this, but obligate them to you. It will pay off in the long run.

Have you tried a one on one meeting with any of your political leaders. Show them where you're coming from, do your homework. Don't just show up and say this isn't right. Give them facts, figures, and a solution.

If that doesn't work, get a petition going. That always causes a politician to sit up and take notice, if it's validated by voter signatures. Use a petition as a last resort, many elected officials will get angry and turn away from you for making so much noise with their constituents.

Sorry, I can't help more. Remember also, some of us really aren't "yahoo's", we do want to help, and we depend on you to tell us how.

[/QUOTE]

Thread Information