Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: changing depts.

robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post changing depts.

Hi, i am looking for some good advice, here is the problem i am currently working for a small dept. ( 3 stations) i am happy here at the dept. A long time ago i applied for a job at a bigger dept. ( 17 stations) but never went to test and today i get a letter in the mail to come and take the agility test for the dept. It would be more money right off the bat and more calls and probably could move up quicker but like i said im happy with the small dept. Their has been a few bad days and some off the old guys give us young guys a hard time but the chief is trying to make it a better dept. i could be a capt. in 10 years or so just looking at the guys that will be leaving i just dont want to be old and wish that i would have went to the bigger dept. Has anyone went to a bigger dept. or stayed at the smaller one and why

pyroknight
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

There are advantages and disadvantages whichever way you go. The grass always looks greener on the other side, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. You should consider the growth potential of the department you're with. Are you hemmed in on all sides by other municipalities? Are you shrinking? Will your three stations one day be ten? Or one? How stable is the command structure? What kind of relationship does the fire department have with the town government? Small departments can be an awesome place to work, but if there is a change in command, you're extremely sensitive to it because there's nowhere to hide from the chief and his minions. The complexities of your questions involve so many aspects that only you will probably be able to truly be informed enough to make the decision. Take an honest look at what you have going for you where you are, get some guys from the prospective department alone out of earshot of the brass and find out how they feel about their job, pray (A LOT), make a decision, and make that decision the right one.

Good luck and God Bless!

FLAME5
    Firehouse.com Guest

I AGREE WITH PYROKNIGHT, JUST LAST MONTH I MOVED INTO MY DREAM DEPT.(SIX STATIONS) FROM A SMALL DEPT. (3 STATIONS)
    MY REASONS:
    1. MORE MONEY (EVERYONE NEEDS MORE MONEY ESPECIALLY WITH A KID ON THE WAY)
    2.CIVIL SERVICE AND COLLECTIVE BARGANING (THE OTHER DEPT. HAS NEITHER)
    3. ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT (THE OTHER DEPT. HAD ONE SHIFT CAPT. AND THE REST WERE FIREFIGHTERSPER SHIFT)
    4. PROGRESS (MY OLD DEPT. NEVER MOVED FOR THE FUTURE, EQUIPMENT IS NOT ENOUGH IN MY BOOK)
    5. BETTER ORGANIZATION

MABEY THESE SUBJECTS WILL MAKE YOU COMPARE ON BOTH OF YOU CHOICES.
    REMEMBER ABOVE ALL YOUR CHOICE IS GOING TO EFFECT YOUR LIFE. SO THINK IT OVER UNTIL THEIR IS NO DOUBT.

[This message has been edited by FLAME5 (edited 02-07-2001).]

iaff1937
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Robbie,
    I was kind of in the same situation as you are. But my situation was the reverse. I worked for a department that had 9 stations and left to go to a department that has only 2 stations. The number of stations wasn't what made me move, the pay was the factor. The smaller department (which is where I work now) pays a rookie FF what a captain made at the bigger department. I felt extremely guilty when it came time to leave my first department, until I talked to a veteran smoke-eater. He put it to me like this. You have to look out for yourself, you are going to be the one at the end of 25 years of service that better be happy with the choices you made for your carrier. Whether it be higher pay, faster promotion, or a bigger or smaller department. I can tell you one thing. The size of the department may change and the basic rules for that department may change, but the people are all the same.
    Think of how lucky you are to have the choice of which department you want to work in when there are tons of men and woman out there that don't even get a chance.

Thread Information