Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Haligan tool Vs. axe...What is your favorite?

We have both haligan tools and pick axes on our trucks. Personally I like the Haligan. I was wondering what some other guys liked and why?

Patrick Marks
    FF/FR
    Spring Hope VFD

robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

I prefer the haligan tool its more handy in my opinion. By the way where is spring hope at i have lived in nc all my life and haven't heard of it.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

The axe and haligan are different tools for different tasks. But if I had to take only one it would be a haligan.

Staylow
    Firehouse.com Guest

Both are great tools with a multitude of uses. But, I would choose the pickhead axe if I had to choose.

Brtengr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I hate to add tools to this debate, but I think that the pickhead axe and a 6' pike pole should always go together and the haligan should always be mated with a flathead axe. If I was on the nozzle team I would want the pickhead and pike because it is easier to check with extention with those two and I'd prefer the other two if I was on an entry team. Overall, the pickhead ax is the coolest! There's nothing left standing in front of me with that thing in my hands.

Lee

fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

Robbie-

Spring Hope is a small community in between Raliegh and Rocky Mount on Highway 64. It is in the southern end of Nash County.

14Rescue1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Prefer the Halligan with the flat-headd ax, makes a great combo. If I end up with the pick-head ax I grab a 4 foot Rake to got with it.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Make my vote for the Halligan!
    Add a flathead axe and you have the winning ticket! (and I'm sure most firefighters won't demand a recount! )

------------------
    Firefighters: accepting the challenge.
    Captain Gonzo

Detroit Fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Pick Head axe if i am in a structure Fire
    Haligan if i am at a car fire

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

RECOUNT???? Who the hell wants a recount?? I'm still counting the original time

Seriously though, I vote for Halligan. With the exception of actually extinguishing the fire, there is really not a whole lot you can't do when you have a Halligan. You can force doors, pull walls/ceilings, vent windows and very importantly, if the you know what hits the fan, jam the point through the wall next to a window and put your halligan diagonally across the bottom corner of the window, and there's your anchor point for tying off your bail out line.

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

If I'm venting, gimme a 8 lb pick and a long rake. If I'm forcing interior, a 10 pound sledge and the Halligan. If I just had one tool, easy jus' gimme the Halligan.

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Haligan all the way. The most versatile tool in your hand.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Halligan is my choice. Without the flat head axe the irons are like peas without carrots, as Forest would say.

airpack
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I agree with most of the others if you mate a flathead axe w/ a haligan you have all you will need. It was once pointed out to me that if you count right a haligan has 13 different "tools" in itself.

Thread Information