Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    gunnyv
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Fire Dept. Ambulances

Looking for input on what is the best type of Ambulance for a fire dept. My thinking is something with a big enough outside compartment with room for 2 SCBA, a couple of tools and the crew's PPE. Are the medium duty rigs too big? Are the Type I or III modulars too small? Any input is welcome.

Adler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

What kind of room do you have in your station?? Are you transporting, or emergency only?? I am biased. I like the Type III's. They are not as big, and clumsy, as the Type I's, and you can put a full size box on the back which gives you room for equipment and head room for working on your patient. The Type I's can give you more power, but most of the time, I believe you can get by with a Type III.

gunnyv
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. is investigating ALS transport for the future. Room in the station will not be a problem.

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

In my opinion the choice on ambulance types is truly a matter of opinion. I don't think that a fire dept that transports needs an ambulance any different than a strictly ems agency, unless you have plans to do something other than transport. In my fire dept, we use type I ambulances. There is plenty of room in outside compartments for turnout gear. We carry 2 sets to be used by our EMS only members or someone who doesn't have their gear with them for whatever reason. Why would you want SCBA on an ambulance? just curious, please don't take offense to that question. Also what type of tools are you talking about? Hand tools or Extrication tools? We carry some hand tools on ours, but if it's extrication tools you are wanting to carry that's a different animal. If money isn't a concern and you like the medium duty trucks,and you don't have any places in your call area they are to big to fit in, go with it, they have lots more storage area. My advise bottom line is, examine your needs,and your resources,they see first hand what is available then make your decision, and don't jump on one style or another with out making sure it'll work for you.

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We run a BLS ambulance out of our station. We have 2 SCBA in the side compartment. We also have room for our gear.

We have the SCBA for many reasons, ie CO emergency, any type of fire when returning for a call, your dead for many days call. Our ambulance could have to respond to the scene when returning for an EMS call.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Our sqad carries SCBA. Look at it this way. You get hit out for a activated CO alarm. Ambluance gets there first. Squad can put packs on and start treatment of people in the house if they are out cold. The fire can get there and check the CO levels. Just my point of view on that one. Thanks!

Kyle

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a Horton Box type, it holds 2 SCBA's, a compartment just for 2 sets of turnout, a halligan, and a axe. Some extinguishers. And there is still plenty of room for all the BLS equipment.

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best riding rig I have been in is a Road Rescue on a Ford E350 Chassis. Honestly, it took a few months for the shocks to break in but since then it is like riding on glass. The box is large enough for us to carry a small combi - tool to initiate extrication if necessary, carry 4 boards, 2 SCBAs and IV equipment. We will probably upgrade to Paramedic in the next 2 -3 years and there is still plenty of room to carry the monitor anded boxes. Excellent outside storage compartment size and plenty of storage bins in places I never thought of putting them.

Having worked for 2 departments that have had boxes on Internationals and Freightliners I don't care for the ride they give. The boxes are essentially the same so that is irrelevant from what I have experienced. The chassis are underloaded adn bounce around andn the back you get a bone jarring ride (yes even with the air ride suspension too). When the box is on a medium duty rig the height is also increases so you have to worry about low overhangs and the like. This also comes into play when you have a short guy like me, 5' 6", getting the stretcher into the back of the box if you don't have a lowering setup for the back of the truck.

As for the SCBA question, teh crew can leave the hospital and already hae tehir own SCBA and be ready to go when tehy get to the scene the rew that takes the box from the station to the fire has its own equipment ready to go.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Everyone's point is well taken on the SCBA. I didn't really think of that. We have a 30-45 minute one way transport time, so for use to beat the pumper to the scene of a fire isn't really realistic for us unless we're almost home. Also we don't have the extra money to outfit our ambulances with SCBA. Well come to think of it we do have a few old survivair packs hanging in the closet, I guess they'd be better than nothing! Also being a very rural area, CO alarms are few and far between, But for an city or suburban district, I can really see where it would come in handy!

ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We transport ALS and have been using the type III on E350 Ford chassis for years. We carry three 4500 psi air packs(in two outside compartments) and all of our turnout gear in these compartments also. The ride is fine and there is plenty of room inside for ALS duties. It definately is a must to go with the 'center mount' cot configuration in the box so that you have IV access on both sides of the patient. As for firefighting duties its a must to have our equipment with us because when we get on scene we are the attack crew. The firefighter on the back of the engine gets stuck at the hydrant for the forward lay.

bgreen
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run a Braun box on a ford f-350 chassis. Exterior compartments for scba's and turnouts as well as medical equipment.The interior has more than enough room for all your patient care needs, and the ride is very smooth.

Thread Information