Truckie Trash
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Leather Helmets, Ratchet or No Ratchet

Just wondering if you prefer a ratchet or not in your leather helmet?

CHIEF500
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have worn leather since 1973. The ratchet sucks, hate it, won't wear, it gave it back to be reassigned to a new member.

Did I say I didn't like it.

RescueCoFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Cairns New Yorker leather pre-dates the ratchet era, the impact cap era and the chinstrap era as well. Everyone I know whose leather helmet came with the ratchet ripped it out so that it could be worn as a fitted helmet. They also cut down their nomex earflaps about and inch so they can be tucked up in the helmet without bunching up.

[This message has been edited by RescueCoFireman (edited 02-08-2001).]

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

In one of my former Depts. I wore a Leather with a ratchet for about 2 months and hated the way it sat on my head...made it feel off balance. Not comfortable at all.

Shortly thereafter I switched to a helmet without the ratchet. Much better ride.

However, just a warning... I'm sure soon there will be others that will post and tell you that it will void your warrantee and violate the 3rd, 4th and 5th Commandments, damn you to hell, ect, ect...

But in reality it doesn't effect the safety and protective qualities of a leather helmet and does eliminate some stress and fatigue that comes with wearing a helmet that is off-balance.

Just two cents from a fireman.

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited 02-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited 02-08-2001).]

Truckie Trash
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I definitely prefer no ratchet. But does it actually void the warranty?

RescueCoFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

You void the warranty by placing the helmet in a hazardous environment such as umm...let's say, a fire!

Tindog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

In my department there are many guys that prefer the old style helmet and some that favor the new ratchet style, but I'm split on the topic. I requested a leather helmet that was once issued to another firefighter, the helmet is in great shape but it just the slightest bit sloppy on my head(lookingdown it likes to slide.) I can relate to the writer that said they didn't like the ratchet because it feels top heavy. Is there a way to get the leather NYer to fit tighter without having it refitted, I'm afraid that if I ask to be refitted that the company will put in a ratchet due to cost or replace it with a 1010 and not keep that classic NY fireman look!!

Tindog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

In my department there are many guys that prefer the old style helmet and some that favor the new ratchet style, but I'm split on the topic. I requested a leather helmet that was once issued to another firefighter, the helmet is in great shape but it just the slightest bit sloppy on my head(lookingdown it likes to slide.) I can relate to the writer that said they didn't like the ratchet because it feels top heavy. Is there a way to get the leather NYer to fit tighter without having it refitted, I'm afraid that if I ask to be refitted that the company will put in a ratchet due to cost or replace it with a 1010 and not keep that classic NY fireman look!!

RescueCoFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

TINDOG -

If you want your leather to fit a little better try cutting the nomex earflaps down about an inch or so. Then tuck it up into your helmet. A lot of guys I know with the newer Cairns New Yorkers are doing this after they rip out their ratchet so that the helmet will fit better to their heads. If you use your earflaps then I would self-stick foam pads to insert into your helmet to make a custom fit.

LT-5-11-1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

In both My Leathers i have put the foam pads in to make them a perfect fit and they both stay on well and they also leave enough room for the helmet to fit well over the top of an airmask. also to comment on the ratchets. I CAN'T STAND THEM they make the helmets fit to akward
    keep it safe
    LT-5-11-1

[This message has been edited by LT-5-11-1 (edited 02-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by LT-5-11-1 (edited 02-09-2001).]

Fireman488
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My leather New Yorker pre-dates the ratchet era and is much more comfortable than the newer ratchet version.

I don't know of anyone who prefers the ratchet over the custom fit. But, I guess you can't buy them anymore??

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

No ratchet here, my helmet is pre-ratchet. I have tried on a leather with a ratchet, but it was not nearly as comfortable. The only positive side to a ratchet would be the quick-adjustment capability, but you can use the foam strips to pad any voids, and make it fit well without a ratchet. As far as cutting the nomex ear flaps... never had to do it. The way I have mine tucked just causes my helmet fit to be a little more snug, more comfortable. It's so snug, in fact, that when I get a haircut, the fit changes a little. it definitely stays put, though.

[This message has been edited by lumpy649 (edited 02-10-2001).]

F52 Westside
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Ratchet all the way. I have one in my dept. issued 1010 and my personal Conway leather. Would not leave home without it.

------------------
    Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
    ECarn21's Homefire Page
    Local 3008
    "Doin' it for lives n' property"

Thread Information