OSIRIS500
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question MONTGOMERY COUNTY FIRE DEPT

Can anyone give me input on the way things are in Montgomery county DFRS. I'm from P.G and don't really know much about them at all. Any info will suffice. i.e. Who is busy in , staffing levels, volunteer system, career system.

David Polikoff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Station 8 is the busiest They are Gaithersberg they run about 7000 a year total for the station engine tower medic unit and amb. Rockville sta 3 is busy bethesda sta 6 has the 3rd busiest engine. Min. staffing levels are 3 for an engine 3 for a truck 3 for a rescue squad 2 for an amb and 2 for a medic unit. We are not a single pull system, meaning on a box we get 4 eng. 2 trucks 1 rescue squad and 1 ems unit. if your station has an eng a truck and an amb then all are due on the call. The volunteer system is not as strong or as aggressive as in PG. The career system is not too bad they have the same problems as they do in any other combo. system. the upper chiefs on the career side are our own worst enemy. for the most part the vol. and the career get along. it is not as bad as in PG. The county cares about the Vol. sometimes a little too much.
    I hope this helps if you want more info let me know.

David Polikoff
    www.workingfire.net

[This message has been edited by David Polikoff (edited 02-11-2001).]

aktormedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have heard that the volunteer/career battle is terrible in MC. My roommate is a vollie there and I have friends that work career there and they all say the same thing : "the worst career volunteer battle EVER". Especially after ballot measure "e".

David Polikoff
    Firehouse.com Guest

The battle is not as bad as you say. Yes there are some places that can be bad. But it is small. All the stations that I have worked at have been good. I get along with most of the volunteers that I have come in contact with. If you treat people with respect you will not have a problem. If you act like an *** you will be treated the same. Our union decided 2 yrs ago not to worry what the volunteers are doing and focus on the career firefighter and officers. Now we are getting better contracts, better money as well as better retirement. I hope this clears things up a bit. Believe me my county is far from perfect. I do enjoy working for my county, but I have found that the career chiefs can be our own worst enemy sometimes.

David Polikoff
    www.workingfire.net

Thread Information