FFShooty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Ventilation Saws...Which Ones #1?

Partner? Cutters Edge? Vent-Master? Which one is the most dependable? We're going to replace our old K-12 and I'd like to hear your thoughts on whats the best and what everyones using. Thanks...Be Safe.

JAMESBENNETT
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just replaced our old vent saw with the new K-1250. It is heavier than our other vent saw, but it sure does a great job!

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Staylow
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Cutters Edge is an exceptional tool. I don't believe it could be out performed by any other saw. Good luck.

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Boy, this thread again? It's deja vu all over again. Here's the top three: Cutters Edge, Cutters Edge and Cutters Edge. The edge is our primary roof/overhaul/RIT saw, with a Stihl rotary for metal or stone work.

FFShooty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My humblest apologies for starting this thread "again". I appreciate all the responses so far and look forward to more.

Thank.

esvfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just bought a Vent-Master about a year ago and it has worked great so far...

------------------
    Tom Pysh
    President/Lt38-1
    Ellsworth/Somerset V.F.D.
    www.geocities.com/esvfd3870

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chainsaw: Cutters Edge CE650 (I think that's the model #)

Circular Saw: PARTNER K-700A with the WARTHOG brand blade......KICKS ***!!!!

Stihl circular saws are just too damned heavy!!

(by the way, the K-700A is a smaller version of the K-1200....lighter and easier to handle..)

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a couple of K-650's. Great saws.

For chainsaws, we just use the Stihls from the local dealer. Try as we might, we can't convince the powers that be that a $1200 saw is better than a $400 one. We did put a larger pull handle and better chain on them though.

DCFD4Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Having used both the rotary and cutter's edge, it is this firefighter's opinion, that the cutter's edge saw is superior. Cutter's edge is more powerful, the depth gauge is advantageous to a quality cut and with proper maintenance will provide far better service.

woody1973
    Firehouse.com Guest

we use a cutters edge, and mongo fire I know the feeling, I made the motion to buy the C.E. and still have some of the older guys in our dept. mad at me for doing it. The cutters edge is great, I've used damn near every saw they've thrown at us and I havent found one that can beat the cutters edge for ease of use, starting, and maintanance. When your on a small volly dept. like alot of us are, you better make sure you get something EVERYBODY can start when they are nervous because you never know who's gonna be the one to grab it.

these are only my opinions please take them as that

David Polikoff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The Partner K950 Active with a 24 tooth carbide tipped blade. we did a head to head test (Partner vs. cutters edge) on a shingle roof and the Partner got the job done faster. That means you will be off the roof quicker. The cutters edge is a good saw but I prefer the raptor carbide tipped chain to the bullet blade. Just my thought.

David Polikoff
    www.workingfire.net

LisbonTrainingOfficr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Cutters Edge!!!
    I have had the chain haning off the bar six inches and still made cuts... Training of course.
    A little pams spray on the bar during teardown really helps the sh$# from sticking to it. We use the garlic, smells good and makes you work faster... So you can eat that much quicker...

chiefgebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

our department uses husqavarna quick vents. they work great and are fairly lightweight. we use carbide tipped chains for them. they are perfect for whatever we need them for whether it is opening the roof or droping a wall. quick vents forever.

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

My personal preference is the cutters edge its light weight, easy to use and the depth gauge works well. I have used the Partner 650 and I don't really care for it. I have used the Quick vent saw as well. I'm not a fan of it. The curved bar is alright but I like having the depth gauge of the cutters edge better. I even used a Johnson Red with a carbide tip chain once. It did the job but, it didn't compare to a cutters edge.
    So I guess its up to the individual as to what works best for them. I know my choice is the cutters edge and on our truck we have choice between the cutters edge and the Partner saw.
    Whatever you decide on I hope it works for your department.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

Partner K-650. If that's not available any other Partner K Series Saw. Chainsaws are for cutting trees not roofs.

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the Univent saw. Chain saw with carbide tip chain. They have worked great. Cuts like a knife through hot butter.
    Cleaning is a little time consuming though.
    Expecially if you go through a couple layers of comps. and shakes.

chief56
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I would have to agree, for some of the traditionalists' out there the K-650 with a demo blade is good with me. But that's not to say any of the new chain saws with the correct blades work very well also. The problem with chain saws with out depth gauges is the ability to sink that bad boy in and cut your way into the basement.

Stay safe...

Thread Information