Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Engineman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post V.E.S./ Vent Enter Search

I am looking for any info. on V.E.S. And what dept.'s think about this topic.

51Truck_K
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

VES, is a very popular, effective, and yes, at times, dangerous technique used quite often here on the east coast. For any info on this check out FDNY Battalion Chief John Norman's book, Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics, both Volume 1 & 2. There is a wealth of info in these, and should get you going in the right direcetion. Give VES a try at your next house fire, it works, but make shure everyone knows what youre doing...keep the fans on the truck...and don't forget your Irons and Can!

Engineman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks 51Truck.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use VES extensively here in our midwest city, too. It is a very effective technique, but it requires training in and a good understanding of VES, fire growth and indentifying fire conditions. Your most experienced and fit FF's should be the ones assigned to this task (for all you dept's without dedicated company assignments) because of the high risk one takes entering a structure above a fire without protection of a handline.

jdm2267
    Firehouse.com Guest

Can someone define and explain V.E.S. for those of us not familiar with the technique? Thank you.

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

VES stands for Vent, Enter, & Search.

As benson said it should be reserved for experienced firefighters. A typical scenario would be a fire on the second floor in a two story house. The team that preforms VES would throw a ladder to a window, one firefighter would take the window, enter, go to the door and close it. Then preform a quick search and get out. The team would continue this operation around the building switching off the firefighter who does the search until the entire area that can be searched is.

The dangerous part is that every time you take a window (venting for life) the fire will be drawn to your position. You have to keep focused and always be aware of your surroundings.

It is a great way to save victims that would normally not be reached until it is too late, but again your most experienced firefighters should be the ones that are doing this.

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I have operated in a VES-type mode on fires where the second floor must be searched, but was inaccessible from the first floor due to fire conditions. As stated above, this type of action should only be undertaken with an experienced crew, and great consideration should be given to fire conditions in the structure, and how they and the crews inside may be affected. But, carefully done, it can be a very effective technique.

heywood
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a volunteer LT. from Prince George's County, MD. I have read a lot on VES and think it is an EXCELLENT tactic that goes hand in hand with something we already do around my parts...aggressive interior attacks. Not many companies in PG practice VES but I have made an effort to introduce it to my truck company over the last year and will continue to do so.

What really interests me about VES and what makes it so practical to go along with our aggressive intial operations is that it offers a alternative method to the inside. 99% of the time EVERY entrance on the ground floor of our fire buildings have about 10 or more firefighters trying to get in them. VES provides us a way into structures that 'avoids the crowds' and actually lets us accomplish something...getting the primary done quickly.

Absolutely though, VES CAN be a dangerous operation and can work against your suppression efforts if it isn't practiced with skill, respect, and awareness.

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.

The more we sweat in practice the less we bleed in battle.

Stay Safe.

[This message has been edited by heywood (edited 02-16-2001).]

Halligan84
    Firehouse.com Guest

VES is great with lots of training in the technique and in the accompanying engine work that is required. John Norman's Handbook of Fire Officer Tactics provides a pretty good reference source.

If you want to see it in practice, check out the brothers from Indiana rescuing the baby from the front page. Excellent Job!
    http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/2/14_infant.html

Thread Information