Thread: MODE B RESPONSE

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry MODE B RESPONSE

DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE A MODE B RESPONSE WHICH MEANS NO LIGHTS NO SIREN OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS. MY QUESTIONS IS DOES ANYBODY THINK THIS MAY BE CONFUSING TO PEOPLE EVEN THOW THERE IS NO LIGHTS OR SIREN ON. PRETTY SOON THE FEDERAL GOV WILL BE ISSUING US YELLOW LIGHTS SO THEN WHERE NO BETTER THEN A TOW TRUCK HA HA HA DFD132

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use code 1 and code 3 responses.
    Code 1 - No Lights/Siren
    Code 3 - Lights/Sirens

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

We generally respond to all calls, with the exception of "priority 2", for public services, investgations, unit transfers, or nuisance alarms.

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I agree it is hard to convince people to take Fire Alarms seriously, when we show up with a singe company response non-emergency to a hotel with fire alarm sounding.(hopefully if they hadn't already silenced it!)

4iron
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We respond either Type I or Type II.The IC makes the call upon the dispatch info.(We have 6 stations & 10 units).These responses are made on general fire alarms which are:2-engines,a quint,a heavy rescue,Paramedic/Firefighter ambulance,and an IC.A Type I= all go red lights/siren.Type II=the first due engine/quint & IC goes red lights/siren,all others respond without.

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

There are a lot of confused drivers on the road today anyway! Now add a 12 ton vehicle with lights and siren screaming up from behind and that can be a recipe for disaster.There are a number of depts.,(I believe St.Louis is one)who prioritise responses with regard to light/siren usage.If you seriously examine response times to areas served,(I did),you'd be suprised at how little difference it makes running a code 3 or whatever response.Even though it's a violation to impede an emergency vehicle;NYS V+T laws require you to obey all traffic laws and signals.Those red lights/sirens only request the right of way.If the big red truck sideswipes Aunt Sadie's suburban or creams her in an intersection going to a tree on fire report, you can bet the legal eagles will respond CODE 3!! It comes down to following your guidelines and common sense. Above all STAY SAFE!!

hfd12316
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nothing wrong with taking into account that the situation isn't as much of an "emergency" as the person who called it in think's it is. People ride around in their climate controled luxury auto's with the CD player blasting, talking on the cell phone and generally not paying attention to their surroundings. If we are screaming across town on a smells and bells run there is a word for it. Negligence. And by the way the last two pieces of apparatus we got had amber lights on the rear. Not red. Thats what the NFPA wants.

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can believe that response times don't vary that much. To be responsible, as an FAO I had to have my rig "under positive control" (MO law). So I probably wasn't going much more than 5-10mph over posted speed limit, and that only on long straitaways on the highway. In town, I had to slow down to watch blind intersections (in case they didn't see and pulled out in front of me...), or at red lights (I can go through against the light, but I have to make sure everyone else sees/yields first!), etc. When you factor in that I corner slower, and accelerate slower, I can probably beat the truck to the scene if I drove my car and followed the traffic laws, just on the acceleration/cornering alone.

Of course, that's also an argument for running hot. Since the rig accels/turns slow, it needs to a) not have to slow down as much (in reality it will anyway) at intersections when going straight through and b) not have to wait at lights when they are "the other way" (in reality it will, again, but maybe not as long).

What I'd really like to see is a reliable "signal switcher" on all apparatus. Then we really could run no lights the whole way. If we had the green all the time, no one can ever argue who ran the red, can they. Let's see legal eagles challenge that!

aktormedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

as far as I am concerned: if its not an emergency then we dont need to be going anywhere, and if it is, then use lights and siren and blow through lights. Plain and simple.

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by aktormedic:
    as far as I am concerned: if its not an emergency then we dont need to be going anywhere, and if it is, then use lights and siren and blow through lights. Plain and simple.

Boy, am I glad I'm not YOUR Lieutenant. This type of attitude is totally wrong, in my (humble) opinion. Blow through lights? Remind me to never pass through YOUR neck of the woods, lest I be T-boned by a speeding Engine Co. operating without due regard for safety, it's own or the public's...

[This message has been edited by lumpy649 (edited 02-15-2001).]

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Depending on the call, our IC might decide that they need the extra man power, but there's no rush to get there. They usually request it on a Hot or Cold basis.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

All I have to say as far as the new standards if they come out is...GOOD!!! All of us have seen or read about needless accidents involving emergency apparatus who are responding "Code 3" to what most of us would call low priority calls. In fact one of the biggest abusers I have seen are ambulances. As a medic I very rarely allow the driver to transport to the hospital "Code 3." But the minute I step off the bus or the scene because I've determined the call to be BLS. They take off to the hospital and they go "Code 3." For sprained ankles and so on. If this will be enforcable I say, amen. As far as becoming tow trucks. So be it. I am a very big advocate on amber lighting on fire appartus. While I feel that you should have some red warning in the rear, amber is the only color that is effective at all hours in all weather. Plus it also aids in the reduction of rubber neckers who cause domino effect type accidents. NY State Police has it standard on their light bars that they have (1) amber halogen flasher facing rear on the drivers side. And anyone in NY who is familiar with that, knows that you see the yellow halgen first, and it stands out the most. Now if they would ban all strobe packages, I would be really happy. Don't get me wrong, I believe in strobes, I just believe that you should have the consistant illuminating power of a halogen light bar on the top of your truck. And your right, there are drivers out there who get confused. Actually I always laugh when they pull over for now reason. Which on some days seems more common then when I'm enroute to a call. If you go to a code 1/B response, you driver normally, so there shouldn't be any confusion. In fact if you ever want to know confusion, ask some of your senior guys about the days when they would return to quarters with their lights still on in a non-emergency mode.

-----------------------------------------
    The above are my thoughts and opinions only. They do not reflect those of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

DFD132 - we only have two modes of response: Emergency or Non-Emergency

Emergency responses require working lights and siren and due regard for the safety of other on the road (state law.)

Non-Emergency is driving with traffic, obeying all traffic laws.

If the public doesn't see your lights and sirens operating, how do they know you are responding to a call or just driving to the store? They don't. I don't see how the public can be confused by your fire truck's non-emergent presence on the road unless the only time your truck is on the road is for emergent responses.

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I'm sorry the topic MODE B RESPONSE didn't come out right. What I meant was going NO lights or Siren to a call. BUT you still have flashing amber lights going. I feel people may get confused seeing yellow flashing and mistaking it for an emergency color. What I think should be is nothing on but Headlites DFD132 sorry for the mixup.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

DFD132 - No need to apologize. Why would you flash yellow lights if you're just following traffic like everyone else? That would be confusing!

PaulChristenson
    Firehouse.com Guest

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by aktormedic:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>Boy, am I glad I'm not YOUR Lieutenant. This type of attitude is totally wrong, in my (humble) opinion. Blow through lights? Remind me to never pass through YOUR neck of the woods, lest I be T-boned by a speeding Engine Co. operating without due regard for safety, it's own or the public's...<<

AMEN!!!!

RS225
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK this is how the GILES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD handles this case

the only thing we dont run emergency traffic to is grass fires, unless the fire is threating a life or structure

.........fire fetish????......damn right

AntiqueFireLt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow, yah, code three all the time. How about the confused drivers seeing apparatus returning to the station? To the store for dinner supplies? Fllow the cops to double D for a snack, lights and sirens.

This is the only opinion to have, if you're me. If not, get your own, this ones mine.

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

DFD,

No need to apologize brother, we've all not gotten our point across right the first time one way or another on here. Now I understand more of what you mean. I still believe in amber lighting. However I like having 1 amber strobe light under the rear step constant, or a amber light stick. Since we've gone away with the old "keep back 500 ft." signs, people get right up your ***** when your at traffic lights. Plus it adds visiblity at night. But I'd have to agree 360 degree amber all the time is a bit much even for me.

AKTORMEDIC......
    While I normally do not answer people like you. Why do I have the feeling your 18-21 and have only been in the fire service no more than a year. And that your a vollie. (this is no cut on vollies, but I just get that vibe from his post. I was a vollie once too!!) Cause if your career, you guys need to read up on CUSTOMER SERVICE.

-------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and does not reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with.

Again the statement to AKTORMEDIC was not in any way, shape or form meant to be a cut onto volunteers as a whole. Just the vibes I got about a idiot who made an idiotic statement.

FEOBob
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department runs no lights/sirens (we call it "no code") to all very minor medical calls (say, man sleeping on a side walk), most service calls (children locked in a car being one excemption, and other instances where there is no percieved immediate threat to life or property.

For alarm systems, we run the closest fire apparatus code (lights/sirens) and an additional rig no code (unless the closest rig does not have a pump/water, then both rigs go code).

And I feel we STILL go code too much due to the potential liability.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

I feel that if there is a potential emergency, you go lights and sirens. If it's not a potential emergency then you go no lights or sirens.

Thread Information