Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Comments made on this site...

Is it just me or does anyone else try to think about what they say before putting fingertips to keys and embarassing themselves, their department, or what it means to do this type of work? Constantly, I see posts that display a flippant, devil-may-care attitude, with the type of responses that make me think that an adrenaline-hyped rookie who doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground hit the keyboard to try to make a point, but really just made himself look bad. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY BEFORE YOU SAY IT- SO OFTEN, IGNORANCE IS SHOWN THROUGH AN OPEN MOUTH!

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one seeing things like this...

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

You're not...

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

You are not the only one... as some will note, I post here more than most. But you will NEVER hear me call someone a liar or any other name and I will NEVER degrade someone or their department on this forum.

Nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes and above all... We all have a common goal on this forum - Helping Others!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

//

Never?? Or make up sometning thety didn't say like hose clamps not required, etc? YEAH RIGHT!

dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Lumpy: I think you can find your answer in the meet and greet forums, go to the bottom and go to page 2 and find the post "what is a hoople?" Read that and then form your own conclusion. Some of the posts here are from some hooples. GUARANTEED.

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lumpy,
    I've learned over the years, the old adage, "opinions are like *********s, everyone has one" is quite true. I've also learned that some have diareah, and they can't stop themselves from saying the first thing that comes to mind. Other's are constipated, and need a little *encouragement* to get them started. Other's have once or twice a day movements, and just can't go a day without saying something. Whatever the case, most of the time it ends up being a stinking mess.

RS-1Alum
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Lumpy, MOST, not all,of those kind of posters are stone cold convicted COWARDS at a fire anyhow. They hide in closets or hang in the front yard and hide behind the power of their anonymity or false profile of these forums.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You're not the only one to notice this...I have been attacked in the forums by people who have no idea of who I am or what my experience in the fire service is, there are those who think they are God's Gift to Firefighting and know all there is about everything, there's a lot of "wannabees" and amateurs.

There are also a lot of caring, intelligent public safety personnel, career and volunteer who use the forums to learn a lot, laugh a little and to keep up with what the rest of the fire service all over the world is doing.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising under adverse conditions to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

newtonb
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is common for some people, not just firefighters, to hammer away at the keyboard and send off an email, without thinking about how their message will be interpreted. This is particularly true when the subject is near and dear to them. When I run accross one of those messages, I have to reread it several times to really figure out what the poster is trying to say.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

This one definitely goes back to a previous thread regarding complete user profiles. The world of the internet provides complete anonymity if the user so desires.
    You can hide behind your keyboard and talk to people like they don't have a clue, when in reality it may actually be your own insecurity showing through.

It is unfortunate that this has to be the case, but it is and it always will be. As you can see by my number of posts, I post rather often, all while being VERY selective at the same time. I try to think about the person who may be reading at the other end and make my post something that can be understood by the guy with 2 days on the job or the guy with 15 years. It seems there are a few other people out there that will do the same and those are generally the most constructive and informative threads out there. On the other end it seems there are many people who type for the sake of typing. Often with horrible grammar, no thought process and often incorrect facts and a threatening tone. Try and stay away from these, maybe the 'Mad Typist' will give up.

Oh and on the subject of profiles, it absolutely amazes me the number of people who will outright rip their dept. or officers all while having their name and FD name visible in their profile. It's just one more reminder that a lot of people out here don't think before they type. It scares the hell out of me that some of these people are chiefs and line officers, making decisions on the fireground. Do they make those decisions without ever processing the effects of it?? God I hope not!!

Anyway, I'm rambling and more importantly my pre-alert for a job just sounded!!!

Stay safe!

Firefighter194
    Firehouse.com Guest

Anyone who puts down another firefighter or fire department is out of line. And for those who claim to "Walk on Water" or "God's Gift to Firefighting", it's time to quit the service for you are a danger not only to yourself, but to your fellow firefighters.

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Gee I hope that I didn't shoot off my mouth when I "type" in my opinion. I know that I have a tendancy of agreeing with others so if they bad mouth someone or a department, I guess that I should read there post a little more carefully.

Anyways, I agree (see what I mean) with everyones post that some of us do shoot off our mouths quite quickly sometimes, but at other times it is justified.

Just a thought.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

ladyfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

I guess forums are like anyplace else in the world... you take the good with the bad!

Personally, if someone is rude, obnxious, or hostile I tend to ignore their opinions. They don't carry a whole lot of weight when they are filled with "slamming and bashing"!

------------------
    Stay Safe...
    Rebecca Richardson FF/EMT
    Isles of Capri Fire Rescue
    South Florida

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

As one can see from my profile, I've been posting here for a long time and I have seen a significant degradation in the quality of posting over the last 6 months. Some posters (new and old) have really disappointed me.

However, I must agree with Capt Gonzo (I usually do) and comment that there are many caring, sympathetic, knowledgable and POLITE posters on this site.

May politeness rule.

If your Mother or Grandmother would be offended by your post, you probably shouldn't post it.

I do have one other constructive comment for all posters - make your posts short and to the point. If your post must be long, break it up in paragraphs separated by spaces to make it easier to read and follow. If you write a huge response and don't break it up most people will skip what you said and read someone elses short repsonse. This paragaph is probably as long as any single paragraph should be.

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I certianly agree, I've noticed a lot of that my self. Also I know that I can be a little opioninated myself, so if I've said anything to offend any of you, I apologize!

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Dr. Inferno... I looked up "hoople". Strange word, but the description matches. Thanks... and I agree. Your guarantee was correct.

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

are you guys talking about my interpretation of the hooples??

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey MG: You the Man!!!!!!!!!

Hey Lumpy: Strange word, stranger people!!!!!

TruroFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi guys-
    Metal Medic and I agreed on a certain posting in the 'meet and greet' forum awhile ago, and this topic got me thinking....

I've been reading one particular posting in this forum for awhile. One where many departments in close proximity to one another have very disparraging things to say about one another. This troubles me very deeply. If they were to talk a bunch of trash about each other on the forums, would they not do this on the fireground? This type of behavior is not only ignorant, but it's DANGEROUS to not only themselves but their fellow personnel as well. I respect that everyone has their own opinions (comwhite's analogy about one's rectal cavity, though popular, is still very true), but their are ways to tactfully point out your disagreements without buring bridges while you do it. Maybe someone from the department you're slamming is a forum member, and will remember that the next time your departments roll up on a big x bigger warehouse fire. We're all here to learn from one another. Our collective experiences in this service give us the knowledge to share with one another, so that we may learn to be safer, better prepared and better people. Personal attacks on individual people does little to accomplish this...Their are many people on these forums I have come to respect many people simply by their postings, like Captain Gonzo, Metal Medic, LHS (despite their apparant hatred for one another), BucksEng91, and many others. I feel them to be intilligent people, which much to share and a desire to learn. This should be all of our goals....I applaud them, and encourage many of the newer members on the forums to take a page from their playbooks.

One thing more, if I could...Please try to remember that TYPING IN ALL CAPS MEANS YOU'RE SHOUTING. WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS IT MEANS YOU'RE SPEAKING IN A LOUD MANNER. DON'T SCREAM UNLESS YOU REALLY MEAN TO. The tone of a posting can go a long way towards the replies you recieve.

Be safe always...

SmokeEater31
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK...I thought about what was asked in the opening post, and I hope I have my brain in gear before engaing my mouth.

I think I suffer from runitis of the mouth in some of my postings. I also think that I think about what is being said by others and subsequently myself BEFORE writing anything. There have been times when something that was said makes me just want to run off at the mouth and as I write i re-think the action and cancel the post until I have thought the proper way to say things.

I agree that in many of the postings that I see, there are some who constantly go at each other. I think the first time I posted I kind of felt I attacked a viewpoint of Shawn (LewistonCpt.) I went back later and added a posting to make sure he was not offended, that he understood that I was just staing my opinion, and my opinion in no way outweighs ANYONE elses.

In fact, I learn a LOT from these forums. Mostly people find a way for me to THINK about things. Ways that I had never thought of before I read the posting.

I want to take a moment here to apologize if I offend ANYONE in these forums by my responses. I want to thank everyone for posting their replies in that I have the opportunity to get a FRESH point of view in my mind. It has helped more than once. I also would like to say to those who always seem to get into ******ing matches on these forums to remember that we are all in this together. There are people that are just going to rub us the wrong way, but remember, you don't neccessarily have to like those you work with, but you must RESPECT them. We are all in this fight together, I don't care if you are 20 minutes away from one another or 3000+ miles away. We all suffer the losses the same when we lose a fellow brother/sister in a LODD.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Your brother in the Service
    Rob

Thread Information