Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question ANYONE SCARED OF DIEING IN A FIRE!!

I would like to know how many people are scared of dieing,what there scared of. And what you feel the worst way of dieing in a fire is.,and if anyone ever had a dream about a fire that happened or how you feel you will die. No I'm not scared of dieing but yes dieing from being lost in a fire and running out of air does make me scared. DFD132

axman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Firefighting is dangerous and you do have to be careful but if firefighting is in your heart and blood then you will take as many training classes as you can so that you can recognize the dangers that will kill you, I have thought about dying in a fire before but you cannot let this keep you from doing your job, the more training you have the safer you will be.

------------------
    STAY SAFE ALL OF MY BROTHERS.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

To answer your question, NO I am not scared of dying in a fire. I would be willing to give my life to save another. Ofcourse I will take every precaution I can to be safe and still do my job effectively.

GB

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

As long as my death wasn't in vain... as long as it allowed one ore more of my brothers to get out, or a civilian to escape and live. I really don't relish the thought of dying for nothing, or because of a stupid mistake. And I do agree that the more you know, the better off you are... What you DON'T know CAN kill you.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

No,I am not afraid of dying in a fire.Have I ever thought about it,yes.Training will help you survive,but more important is experience.Watch and learn from your senior personnel and listen to the members of your department who have experience.No 2 fires are alike and the more you see and do,the more you learn.The classes and the training I have taken were helpful to an extent,but learning from experienced firefighters taught me much more.

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK, I'll be the first to say it - of *course* I'm afraid of dying in a fire. That's why I constantly try to update and upgrade my skills.

The real question is - does that fear make me hesitate to do my job? Again, of *course* not, or I wouldn't be here - what it does do is to make me a better firefighter.

A healthy fear of death is necessary to make a good firefighter, and good team member. Lack of fear connotes lack of respect, I think (just my opinion, folks). That healthy fear, in perspective, is the driving force that makes us do what we do - we don't want others to suffer that death, and we are uniquely equipped and trained to prevent it.

So, in short - yes, I'm afraid of dying in a fire - and I'm glad that I am.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Before becoming a firefighter I was afraid of fire. Now I have a great respect for it. After facing several fire storms in the Wildland/Urban interface setting last summer here in Los Alamos,I have to admit there was some fear. If anyone saw what we saw and didn't feel any fear, they were already dead. You just can't let fear stand in the way of doing your job. It makes for a healthy respect.

As far as a fear of death, or dying in a fire, I do have a fear of the unknown but not a fear of dying itself.

A few years back in my volunteer dept. my husband and I were fighting a condo fire. We came real close to being caught in a structural collapse. (3 floors pancaked on top of each other) The only thing I could think of is I would rather a fire take both of us than leave one to live with the guilt.

Now I am a career firefighter and my husband is still a volunteer with another dept. (I am still a volunteer also) and the chances of one of us getting hurt on scene without the other around are greater. I would still give my life if there were any chance of saving someone else.

Again, the more we learn the safer we will be! and I will avoid death as long as I can.
    (I am having too much fun in this life!)

Live Safe, live long!

K. Meyer

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I think before one says they are not afraid of death, you need to think about what that really says about you. I am not ashamed to admit that I fear death and dying in a fire is not how I hope to see the end of this world. I also feel that if you don't fear death by fire, you may not have respect for the danger it presents. It is this respect that makes you a better firefighter. I don't think I want to go into a fire with a back-up that does not fear death if I had my choice. There are times that I don't have much of a desire to live, but I sure don't want to rush the process!

As for fire, I do respect it, but I have never had much of a fear for it. I often feel that I am a bit different in that regard and that is the reason God put me here on this Earth. Had He not wanted me to be a firefighter, he would have instilled more fear of fire into my soul.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

To:MedalMedic you have a great opion I never looked at it your way. What I meant was that I would except dying. Trust me I don't have a death wish. I just wanted to get people opions on death in the fire service. Thank you for your subitted material. DFD132

Iona6
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your not scared to die in a fire don't join the service. Its a job. Career or volunteer. If you can't respond to a situation and have the outcome be the same or beetter than if you didn't respond, than don't respond.

Fireboy422
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your in this biz, you better not be afraid of fire, you better RESPECT it, but don't fear it, if you do it will eat you, it will kill you! If your afraid of it, one day it will rear it's head and scare the crap out of you, you'll do something stupid, if your lucky, it will let you go to hug your wife and kids, but if your not, your done. if you respect it, show it a little love, it will take care of you, give you the signs you need to get out ok.

------------------
    -FF D. Betka
    NSFD
    Norton Shores, MI

firefighter15_wv
    Firehouse.com Guest

I once heard that there are only two things that save a firefighter's life; fear, and water.

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fear and respect go hand in hand. It's a healthy fear that engenders respect, and it's that respect that makes us treat our job with the seriousness that it deserves.

I agree with MetalMedic - I'm not going in with anyone who isn't afraid of dying in a fire. The things that one might do without that healthy fear would put us both in jeopardy, possibly without a good reason. I don't hesitate to do my job, but that doesn't mean I want to be partnered up with someone who's a "cowboy", who could get us both killed for nothing.

As for "loving" the fire a little - I think you've watched 'Backdraft' one too many times, Mr. DeNiro. It's one thing to be enthusiastic about the job, but I think it's entirely another to "love" fire. You probably don't want to say that much around your state police fire marshals.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

[This message has been edited by BucksEng91 (edited 02-16-2001).]

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

DFD132,

Fear of the unknown, I think is something we all experience no matter what line of work we're in. Fire fighters, police officers, combat soldiers, realize death for them could be imminent, that's why they're a special breed. To dwell on it would hinder them from performing their best, to realize the danger and react to it makes them the best.

I noticed another thread you ask a question about the difference in 16 and 18 year olds allowed to become firefighters. I think this thread exemplifies a very good reason. Having a healthy respect for that fear and the reaction to it.

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only time I am scared is when KENTLAND 33 didnt have the first line....

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Scared of?? No. Cognizant of and respectful of?? HELL YES!!!

My personal opinion is you cannot be scared of dying in a fire if you are willing to fight them. It is a possibility that I figured in when I joined the fire service. If it had scared me then, I would have walked away. Instead, I accepted it as a risk of the job and vowed that with relentless training, common sense and respect for the inherent risks of fighting fires I will do my best to reduce my chances of meeting that fate.

On a lighter interpretation, just remember that there must be some inherent risk in fighting fires since we always find ourselves running towards what every logical person is running away from

Stay safe and think before you act!

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

As a younger firefighter I didn't think much of dying in a fire until a girl I was seeing at the time asked me if I was worried about dying in a fire. I told her of course not. I hadn't thought much about it. Now, everytime I bunker up the thought runs through my mind. I do not dwell on it and I do not lose any sleep over it. That is all it is is a passing thought. Doesn't stay any longer than that. I am not afraid of dying. I do not want to die but am not afraid of dying. I am at peace with myself, I think I have a pretty good understanding of what will happen once I leave this life. But I do not want to die yet, not in a fire. I am too young and have too much life to finish living.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

i'm sorry but i think that one time in your life time your going to be caught in a situation when you are going to be scared on dieng. so for all those "tough guys" out there i think that you will be scared of dieing one time on your lifetime. whether it be tomorrow or 20 years from now

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

The word is spelled DYING not DIEING

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

fyrefyghter10 --

agreed that one time in our lives we may be in a situation that we are scared we might die as the result of however my interpretation of the question "Any one scared of dying in a fire?" means consistently scared day in and day out that I am going to die in a fire and that I am not. I have too much life to live every day to worry about what could happen tomorrow. I could survive the biggest and baddest fire anyone has ever seen, and on the way home from my shift be hit by a drunk driver and killed. It's not worth living scared. You can simply do your best to reduce the chances and let your cards play out from there.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

This post resulted in some interesting answers and interpretations....

To those of you who say they are not afraid of dying in a fire:

Are you saying you have no fear of the fire itself? Do you mean you think you can outsmart or out-tactic fire? Or do you mean you aren't afraid of losing your life from fire, but you are afraid of the fire itself?

There's a big difference in fearing for one's life and fearing what takes life.

Fire is dangerous when uncontrolled, but it will react within natural law. However, you cannot predict its behavior with certainty 100% of the time due to all the environmental factors you can not control.

Fire scares the hell out of me!

If you haven't seen the force of destruction fire brings, up close, then you do not understand what I'm saying. One small mistake inside a burning structure and you will be dead. That's a heavy burden.

I fear fire, but fire doesn't cause me to fear death. Fearing death, or death by fire, is a personal issue relating to your faith and beliefs.

DFD132 if you are asking if I fear death, I don't know. But, if you want to know if I fear death by fire, Oh Yeah! It's gonna hurt, and hurt a lot, possibly for a long time.

Lastly, if you don't fear the destructive power of fire, don't go in with me. One of the great lessons of firefighting to learn is....If it feels wrong, it IS wrong - Get Out.

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

CousinVinny said:

"The only time I am scared is when KENTLAND 33 didnt have the first line...."

Whatever, Vin, whatever...

------------------
    J. Black

fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

LOL Bucks Engine 91

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

It looks like some people are using the words fear and respect as a synonym,they are not.To respect fire is absolute.To understand fire and its behavior is absolute.Fear will only achieve one end,getting you or someone else killed.Fear causes mistakes in judgement.I personnaly would not want to go down and know that one of my crew members fear the fire or its consequences.I know that some have said,not to fear dying is a little crazy,if it is, so be it.I've learned the problems fear can cause by spending 28 years fighting fires and 1 1/2 years in Vietnam.I agree,respect fire for its ability to be merciless and learn to understand its behavior,but fear not,keep your wits about you.I may be wrong here but they are 2 totally different things.

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I ASK YOU THOSE WHO SAY THEY ARE SCARED OF DYING. WERE YOU SCARED OF BEING BORN THAT IS STILL A MYSTERY STILL UNKNOWN!! DFD132

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information