Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Tim Kunes
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Securing flashlights to helments

Im looking for a inexpensive way to secure
    lights to our cairns type helments. Some of us use the garrity type disposable light with velcro but with hard use this comes off. Does holding them on with a ruber strip work and what size and type are used.Open to any ideas. Thanks

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been using old truck tire innertubes for years...Although with the advent of radial/tubeless tires, they have been becoming more and more scarce. Take an old truck innertube (or larger sized pick-up truck tube) and cut a strip one to two inches wide, perpendicularly through the circumference. Behold, your Garrity light holder. Will last various amounts of time depending on the environment- busy/slow company?? Lots of time for repeated wettings/dryings?? dry rot will eventually take over....If you get a hold of an innertube, hold on to it!! Stash it away for when you need another strap!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Inner tubes also make great door latch straps for ensuring a door cannot lock behind you, and can serve as markers to others that an area has been searched...

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Too prevent the dry rotting we soak ours in armor all over night, and then let them dry.

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you have tubeless radials on your trucks, try checking at a local truck stop, or the garage for the local school buses. While we may have made the transition to "modern" tires, most buses and 18-wheelers still use the old style, since it's too expensive to upgrade an entire fleet at once, plus they want to be "standardized".

If you have a small helmet, semi-sized tubes may be too big (10.00x20" or 12.00x20" size tires), the band won't be stretched enough to fit tight. (Whether this is a problem depends on the size/style of helmet). Tires for mid-sized trucks/buses (up to ~36,000GVW) are typically 9.00x20", so the resulting "rubber band" when you cut them is just a little smaller/tighter.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

A bicycle inner tube will work also.Cut it length ways in half and tie off in back of helmet.

RS225
    Firehouse.com Guest

well i'll tell you what go to a paid fire dept. and ask for the catalog they order from (most volunteer depts have these too) probably a GALLS and order you a metal one that screws onto the side of your helmet..

NO DRYROT, NO TEARING, NO PROBLEM!!!

........ fire fetish?????........ damn right

------------------
    as you run i follow

as you fall i strike

as you die i stab and stab and stab again

FFEMT45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check Galls that is where our volunteer department has purchased our lights and holders from.You can check them out at www.galls.com

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

I personally don't like anything on my helmet, the more stuff hanging off it, the more stuff there is to get hung up in wire or cabling or such and get you trapped.

------------------
    David Brooks,
    Lieutenant, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire
    (All opinions are my own)

truck197
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just my thoughts:
    If you do decide to use the innertube system of holding tools on your helmet be aware that they are not all that secure. I had a light, window punch and seatbelt cutter on my helmet which I quickly lost at the scene of a trailer fire. When my partners and I were packing up to vent the roof I quickly put my helmet on the ground (top down) and every thing came out. I did not notice I had lost the stuff until we were on our way back. The exact same thing happened to my capt. at a house fire. Tools are no good unless you have them on you when you need them.

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is a kit that you can buy that comes with a rubber strap, wooden wedge, and garrity light. It can be found at www.helmetparts.com All that for a mere 6 bucks. Just goto the web site and look under helmet accessories. I personally dont care for stuff that is combustible on my head, but this should help ya.

------------------
    Anything I post in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization I belong to.

AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

For what it's worth,

I used to have a mini-mag in a clip on my helmet(Metro 660). It seemed to get tangled on things frequently. Usually at the most inconvenient time. Just something to think about.

I now carry a Pelican Light on a dog snap on my turnouts as a personal light. Most of the time I will be carrying a Litebox on a shoulder strap as a primary light.

Stay Safe

Jim

Scrappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many of you mentioned inner tubes. I found using the scrap rubber from a flat roof to be very efficient. Look around in your territory for roof work going on or talk to the local roof supplier. I've made several for the guys I work with and they have held up well even in a busy district.

Thread Information