Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    SFD161
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What would you do?

I am a member of a small town (4000) small budget department. We recently received a grant to purchase a Thermal Imaging Camera which will pay for 75% of the final cost. The city fathers have agreed to pick up the rest.

For an additional $2700, we can purchase the transmitter/receiver/antenna package. Here is the question..........

Besides training, how much does this feature actually get used during actual calls?

------------------
    VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER....THE UNPAID PROFESSIONAL

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have the transmitter/reciever monitor for our thermal imagers. It can be used for a variety of purposes. It can be used as another item in the "training toolbox", when doing a drill with the thermal imager, everyone can get the view from behind the lens.

At a fire/rescue/hazmat incident, it can be used as a another set of eyes at the command post. The personnel using the imager may not recognize a potential hazard, while someone watching the monitor at the command post might.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising under adverse conditions to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have the option on our ISI camera- have had it now for 3 years, and each and EVERY time that it has been activated for a call, everyone forgets to turn on the TV receiver and/or the transmitter. Or everyone is too busy to do it. Personally I just dont feel that the money is justified. Spend it somewhere else.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

newguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

i have heard that some walmart stores will donate thermal immaging camera's to departments in there town. I dont know how to go about this process. we dont have a walmart in our town and i was wondering if anybody knew of any town have had any luck with any other bussiness

MFFJoe
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use ours (a Bullard)frequently; exterior crews or the IC has a visual image of the location of the team using the camera. It adds an extra margin of safety.

pyroknight
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Having just gone through the review and purchase process for two thermal imagers I would agree that being able to view the camera image outside has its benefits. My only caution would be to go with a manufacturer that integrates the transmitter into the camera housing. MSA (Evolution) and Cairns (Viper) were the two we liked best (the Bullard was impressive as well though). A couple of the manufacturers offer the telemetry capability as an add-on and you end up with an antenna sticking out of the top of your camera.

Thread Information