Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probie help

garrett
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking probie help

just started probation with a decent sized dept. anyone out there have any good tips on how to survive and excell on probation? any ideas on special training or duties that were above and beyond? im just trying to be the best i can be. please no bashing, just honest suggestions. thank you.

fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

dont try to act like a hard ***, say yes sir(or maam) to your officers, do things that you dont have to do, like washing trucks, also ask questions if you dont know, it will make then think that you are really trying to catch on, basically just give your best effort

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

You've got the attitude to make it!! I like the previous comments - add to that a sense of humor and you should have it made. I sure wish you the best of luck anyway!!

Staylow
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best thing I can think of; Keep your mouth shut, and your eyes and ears open. Always be helpful without being pushy. Good luck!

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

Learn to cook!

suprdan276
    Firehouse.com Guest

try to be the above and beyond, do all that is asked and then some. Always be open to training, and always take the pranks and laugh with them it will make the integration easier, i know from experiance

fireff413
    Firehouse.com Guest

Always look busy...EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT...Carry a rag in your pocket and when your officers or senior firefighters are around appear to be doing something productive (washing the windows on the trucks, doing the cooking / dishes, etc...). Besides that show the initative to learn, without being pushy. GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE!

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well... don't just APPEAR tp be doing something productive, actually do it. Take every opportunity to learn, and study, and gain experience; it not only shows that you are interested, it may also save your life. Also, learn about the history of this line of work... and never forget why you are here, no matter how trying things become. And remember this quote, it'll carry you through tough times...

"You have to deal with 90% of this job to get to the 10% you actually enjoy."

*Laughing...* Good luck, probie...

fieryred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Being that I am a probie myself I will let you in on some of the stuff that I do around here.
    - always be willing to volunteer
    - keep the coffee pot full
    - cooking for the guys doesn't hurt
    - start your morning chores before everyone else is done breakfast
    - be self motivated, find things to do
    - have a great attitude and a sense of humor...smile
    - know your truck(s) & department
    - listen to the senior guys...they can teach you alot and ask questions. That is what they are there for.
    - there are always things to read, keep up on the latest techniques.
    - don't over do it...you'll look like your trying to hard to get them to like you. They'll let you know when you are one of them.
    - for the first little while keep your eyes/ears open, and mouth closed. (it sounds harsh but it's true, you're a probie)
    - and above all...if they are bugging you in a good way they like you. If they aren't talking to you, you might want to look at what you are/or aren't doing.

Welcome to the Fire Service...hope this helps

take care and stay safe.

[This message has been edited by fieryred (edited 02-24-2001).]

Adler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

All of these posts are excellent information. However, sometimes believe it or not, the good guys will notice you doing all of the work and will tell you to calm down and take a break. When they say this...They mean "Chill Out Boy". They were all probies and know you wanna set a good impression. They will let you do all of the work for a while, but they also know when enough is enough. When you get to that point, you have earned their respect. Take advantage of it. It doesn't mean the you can slack off after that. Still make sure your chores are done, and if you are extremely bored, help out with dishes, or someone else. Also, TEACH THE NEW PROBIES. Always remember some of the things you have learned as a probie. Make sure that you help them. Lastly, ask questions, questions, questions. This shows that you are interested in learning. Good Luck....

[This message has been edited by Adler (edited 02-26-2001).]

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Learn to cook!

This is one of my Mom's favorite recipies for the fire station.E-mail me for "secret ingredient"

"Really Good Stew"

1/4 pound stew beef per person
    a potato or two per person
    a sensible amount of carrots
    2 parts "secret ingredient" 1 part water (enough to cover other ingredients)
    maybe some salt

Brown meat in frying pan. Chop vegeatables into hearty chunks. Stick all ingredients into a pot. Cover with afore mentioned solution of secret ingredient. Stew it for as long as it takes for the veggies to soften. All amounts are aproximate. Feel free to expirement with the recipie, but don't blame me for what could happen. Make sure liquid boils during cooking process!

Mom's gonna kill me.

Althea

actionj21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

hey guy best thing you can do is learn from the senior membership. just follow orders and get all the training you can . thats all i can pretty much tell ya to do. ive been doin it for 5 years nowand i was scared ****less when i first started .any way take care and stay safe . and check out our web site when ya get a chance .
    www.drexelhillfire.com

------------------

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Keep eyes and ears open. Keep opinions to a minimum. Maintain a good sense of humor! (You're gonna need it!) Learn to cook well, and don't be a phoney.

Oh, yeah... read my quotes. They will help.

------------------
    AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

"In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

trumpeter75
    Firehouse.com Guest

When the guys talk, LISTEN. You may pick up a useful morsel or to while they're swapping stories. Learn your truck inside and out, and impress the guys with your knowledge when they least expect it. Do the little houskeeping jobs that nobody else likes to do. Do what's asked of you to the best of your ability. Get training and schooling above and beyond your basic fire school (go to conferences, seminars, etc).

Enjoy yourself!

klingerjr33
    Firehouse.com Guest

here's the best thing i've found that seems to work for newer junior firefighter's in my company. find a person that you know has done this for a long time and has a great understanding for the job and the KNOWLEDGE!!!!!
    Every chance you get while your at the hall whether it be hangoing out or a work drill night....never stop asking questions and continue asking questions and even if you're there by your self go over the appartus and get to the point where someone can ask you for a tool or piece of equipment from every truck and you be able to get it quickly and also as our standing in front of them tell them what it's used for and on what kind of calls and that sort of stuff. if you don't know ASK!!!!!!!!! It's a lot of hard work and determination but it pays off in the long run.
    if you need more ideas of drills to do and ways to help memorize stuff. email me at: klingerjr33@ccis.net

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    JUNOR FIREFIGHTER
    stay safe!!!

URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Althea got one thing wrong in her recipe--- NEVER, EVER, boil stew beef. It toughens the meat.
    In our dept. we call it "Naked Stew" because it has no spices. :-)

Hint: the secret ingredient is Irish...

johnusn971
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'd say something productive to you and helpful..but that just wouldn't be my style, so instead, I'm say something sarcastic and funny...

Go stock up on Mr Clean, Mops, and rags.
    Oh while you are at it, it don't hurt to make the House CO's (if multiple rig house) bunk in the morning.

Doc DC3

Firemedic7567
    Firehouse.com Guest

HEy man let me tell you I did the volly thing for ten years before coming a fulltime ff / paramedic. My words of advice..
    1) Keep your mouth shut (you can talk but don't have an opion) for the first 5 years.
    2) Ask questions !!!
    3) You better know how to cook, if not you better learn. (I like cookies)
    4) Learn all you can, study the maps, SOP's & SOG's, policies and procedures.
    5) Know you trucks and equipment, inside and out.
    6) Kepp your eyes and ears open at ALL times.
    7) HAVE FUN !!!!!!
    8) Last but not least the most important thing, I like my vehicle cleaned once a week.

Good luck to you probie, you'll do a good job, just hang in there.
    If you ever become a fulltime FF remember where you came from.

RookieFireFighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by URSULAFORHAN:
    Althea got one thing wrong in her recipe--- NEVER, EVER, boil stew beef. It toughens the meat.
    In our dept. we call it "Naked Stew" because it has no spices. :-)

Hint: the secret ingredient is Irish...
    Lucky Charms??

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hardly. You may have difficulty obtaining ingredient due to age. As I said, e-mail me and I'll give it to you.

Althea

Thread Information