Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4iron
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking What's the dumbest thing you've seen a fellow FFR do?

Several years ago,I had a fellow partner/Paramedic lube the interior ambulance cabinet slide doors with WD-40,(he thought they were too hard to open).To this day,(this ambulance is now used as a spare)the doors still open and spill stuff out when you turn a corner!We had to tape them shut or supplies would fly around and hit the patients in the head.Smooth move.
    Any others?

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

A couple of years ago, we had two new firefighters, gungho ready to go. Call came, they respond POV, and start blowing the horn. At a stop sign a citizen was waiting on traffic, so they stick their heads out the window and start cussing him and tell him to get his a&& off the road, calling him all sorts of names. The man pulls over and gets out of his vehicle. Here stands a 6'3" man weighing about 250 pounds, telling them to stop, which they ignore and proceed to the call. When they get back to the station, the man is standing their waiting on them talking to the Chief.

The first question out of the Chief's mouth is "Are you two crazy? First of all look at the size of this man, and secondly, he's the Commissioner's brother". Smart.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

Tell a lady invloved in a head on to crawl out of her car and get on the cot.

jimthefireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Filling up the Chiefs (Gasoline powered) car with Diesel would have to be right up there! Damn this brings back memories. The absolute stupidist thing I have ever known a fellow firefighter to do was the legendary "Bones" who is famous throughout NZ for throwing an army thunderflash (like a big firework) into the TV room at City station about 25 years ago. It blew all the double glazed windows into the street and ruptured the eardrums of everyone in the room. Several ended up with permanant hearing damage as a result. Amazingly he kept his job but was reduced in rank for a couple of years. Anyone top that?
    Jim Maclean
    Auckland NZ

johnusn971
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Any rookie or booter anywhere saying...
    "In my experiance...." or
    "I know, I know"

Doc, DC3

FLAME5
    Firehouse.com Guest

ONE FELLOW FIREFIGHTER TOOK A CURVED STREET VERY SHARP INTO THE OTHER LANE (SPEEDING). HE WAS RESPONDING TO A DUMPSTER FIRE AFTER PICKING UP DINNER. TOOK OUT A GENTELMAN RIDING HIS MOTORCYCLE HEAD ON, THE MAN WAS TRANSPORTED TO THE E.R.(CRITICAL, BUT LIVED, LATER SUED OF COURSE)
    NOW THIS WAS DONE IN THE RESERVE COMMAND UNIT (SUBURBAN).
    I THINK THIS TOPS YOU JIMTHEFIREMAN

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

johnusn971 you brought back a memory...

We had a 2 year 'veteran' tell a new guy that got shaken up at a nasty trauma/drowning:

"when you've been around as long as I have you've pretty much seen it all, don't let it get to you."

SFD161
    Firehouse.com Guest

Let's see...............
    Would it be the guy that turned the lights on as he entered a local bar filled with natural gas?????

Or maybe the guy that grabbed hold of a live power line to pull it away from a house fire!!!!!!

Or maybe the same guy who, 2 years earlier, did the same thing at a "tree on a house" after a big storm!!!!!!

Or the guy that was drinking out of a brown paper bag while collecting money during a boot drive at a busy intersection!!!!!!

Or maybe the guy (you know the type that never shows up for training but finds time to make the fires)...anyway.....he managed to put an airpak on upside down!!!!!!

Or the guy that passed the fire truck in his POV while responding to a structure fire!!!!!!

BUT.......PROBABLY THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN A FF DO WOULD HAVE TO BE THE FF THAT PRETENDS TO KNOW IT ALL AND ENDS UP IN A SITUATION THEY CAN'T HANDLE.

------------------
    VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER....THE UNPAID PROFESSIONAL

Richard
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

A fellow firefighter at a feed silo fire looked down the top hatch and couldn't see anything. So he took off his SCBA mask and looked down the hole again! Needless to say he ended up supine on a stretcher, sucking oxygen. I guess if you survive your mistakes you ineveitably get smarter.

ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Put unleaded gas into an ambulance with a diesal engine.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

New guy washing the apparatus floor and filling the Chief's boots with water. If you have a Chief as big as ours you don't mess with him. Had a fire that night.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

hagerff/emti
    Firehouse.com Guest

Heres a good one for you.....

We have a guy on our ambulance co. that wanted to move the mirrors in a little. They moved real hard so he sprayed them with JB 80 (twice the power of WD 40 or so they claim). Now when we drive down the road the mirrors swing in.......and this guy is a Basic (not even a driver) and a Med student to top that off. DONT THINK I WILL BE SEEING HIM AS MY DOC..........but just a thought.

------------------
    D. Hager
    FF/NREMT-I
    West Trail Amb. Svc
    Mayville FD

REAL HEROES WEAR SCBA'S NOT CAPES

We will eat smoke and pull out bodies as long as they continue to build them. Just once I would like them to ask one of us how to build it!!

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Years ago, we had a chimney fire in a condo complex. When we got there, we discovered that the fire had gone into the walls between two of the condos. We had a crew on the roof doing vent. One guy looked down into the hole. Upon doing so, his leather fell into the whole. So what did he do? He took off his pack and went into the hole to retrieve his leather!!!

FatFiremen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Work in a small town but we have one of the biggest Malls in the state, had a driver with about 12 years on ask how to get their. The call was in the middle of the day so it's not like he just woke up.
    Same guy about 2 years later was told by Capt. to get the DRY CHEM's from the truck, shows up with the water cans.
    Thank God he retired early

Stupid is as Stupid does!!!!

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Had a captain who wanted to look for a gas leak with a lighter. I really don't know why or how he got promoted. Nice guy, but a horses *****.

------------------
    AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

"In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

fire69dawg
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's one for your list. We had a 12 year veteran who got caught up in drugs, and decided to support his habit by stealing from the station. Needless to say he was caught and prosecuted on felony charges, and is no longer a FF.

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We once had a fire fighter hanging out in the fire hall make the comment that the city needed to keep a paid arsonist on staff to give us more to do. He didn't realize the guy standing next to him was a city councilman. Hehe.

------------------
    Be safe.

St11FireEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

we were dispatched mutual aid to the next town over for an MVA with a trauma code. well this emt decides to perform cpr on the trauma code. he was an emt for about a year and this was his first trauma code....well hes doing cpr on this guy and i ask him to stop an look at the back of this guys head(which was gone)...he got all worked up for a code and didnt notice the entire back of the pts. head missing. what a dope

pwc606
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is second hand info from a state trooper:
    He roles up on an accident and has one person ejected from the car. Another trooper roles up, jumps out and says what do you have? Trooper #1 says DOA. Trooper #2 says well you push on his chest while I give an Alco-sensor test. No lie. #2 no longer works for the state.

[This message has been edited by pwc606 (edited 03-02-2001).]

Tindog18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Got 2 for you:

A gungho ff that knows it all(yeah right) is on a pumper enroute to a mutiual aid fire. The fire was just across a small creek in a non hydrant district so our engine laid 200-250ft across the bridge to the fire scene being new than the crew on board he had to wrap the hydrant a another ff was going to charge the line when ready driver not aware of the change made sees the 5" wrapped an begins down the road. This FF decides(against SOP) to try to ride tailstep to the fire scene. Now the 5" is coming out of the hose bed to the rear of this truck with this knuckle head standing on the tail. We still 3yrs later ask him how hard exactly are those couplings. BONK!BONK!BONK!

Next a 10yr member is responding to a call withthe third out piece from HQ Wonder why its taking so long for the truck to make it to the scene, he had gone to the wrong side of town lights and siren on(Federal) took another wrong turn down a dead end st. still with lights and everything on. Embarassing?????

Thread Information