Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    WFDTruck1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Civil Service vs. Chief's Town?

Here is a new one for you guys to talk about. What type of department to you perfer or work for, a Civil Service Dept. thats entrance examination process is done by the state or a dept. that the process is run by the chief of that dept.? I work for a Chief's Dept., the thing I like about this type of fire dept. is that it is molded around family. Out of the 40 member department only 16 are not related to another firefighter either past or present. What type of dept. do u prefer or are on? Maybe this is just done in New Jersey I don't know either.

FLAME5
    Firehouse.com Guest

CIVIL SERVICE ALL THE WAY!
    TESTS (ENTRANCE/PROMOTIONAL) ARE DONE FAIRLY WITH NO INTERFERENCE, AND THE RIGHT PERSON EARNS THE JOB (OK NOT ALL THE TIME). COMPADRES (THE CHIEF'S BUDDIES) ARE USUALLY SUPRESSED ASWELL.
    I HAVE WORKED FOR A CHIEF DEPT. YES IT'S RUN LIKE A FAMILY (STYLE) BUT THEIR IS ALLWAYS THE CHIEF FAVORITE(S) THAT GET ALL THE KUDOS AND THE BREAKS.
    PROMOTIONS ARE USUALLY DONE THROUGH THE CHIEF, GREVIENCE PROCEDURES USUALLY STOP AT THE CITY MANAGER.

GOOD FOURM QUESTION

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Civil Service is the way to go!!! I have not ever, nor will I ever resort to having to wear kneepads to obtain a job. I want a position because I have earned it through competitive testing methods. I agree with Flame5- in a "Chief's Dept." the Chiefs "little b*tches" get all the favorable assignments in air conditioned offices and good performance evaluations....While everyone else is sweating their asses off testing hydrants in the middle of August......!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Thread Information