Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: WHAT COLOR RED?

ENG 6511
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post WHAT COLOR RED?

You win, RED it is! What color RED is the question? I've decided to repaint a 1977 ALF Century pumper that I have just finished refurbing from Lime Yellow [ the original factory color ] to RED. What is the most popular fire truck RED or what color RED does the majority prefer?

------------------
    Bob Compton

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

I didnt know fire trucks came in any other color except red or that there were varieties to red, I just knew that they were RED.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department

james35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

There's only one color Red. Some call it Fire Engine Red, other's call it Candy Apple Red. My favorite is Dodge Truck Red...

------------------
    ...James
    james35@firehousemail.com

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Hopefully someone who does fire engine restoration will have the source for it.. but there is an American LaFrance Red... that is what you want to use since you have an ALF.... it is a darker red than most "Fire Engine Red" colors you normally see.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Have you tried contacting American LaFrance for the paint codes for the 1977 model year?

In 1977, they may have used lacquer or enamel for their paintwork. For durability, you may want to consider Imron from Dupont..that's what most fire apparatus manufacturers are using for paint today. It's a polyurethane enamel that is durable.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising under adverse conditions to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

(((((GAG))))) Dodge Truck Red???? Your deep red (ALF) is the best choice. An autobody shop should be able to help you pinpoint the exact color.
    Don't hate me for not liking dodge's

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

tc1chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

ALF refers to it as "Blood Red". I'm not sure about ALF using it in 1977 but I do know it was used in 1978. Try contacting John Callaway, Sales Representative, at Triad Freightliner (336) 668-0911. My 2001 model is painted this color.

firefighter15_wv
    Firehouse.com Guest

I still think you should go with chrome yellow.

Thread Information