Thread: Ice rescue

FiRsqDvr45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Ice rescue

I posted this to the Specialized Rescue area but it is not as frequented as this forum.After a recent drill some great questions arose during our post-training critique. If anyone has suggestions, ideas, or even SOP/SOG's to pass along please do.
    1> During darkness or low visibility incidents the standard hand/arm signals may not be effective. What methods can help the tenders know what actions to do when they can't see the rescuer? I think rope tugs may be ineffective due to the drag on the ice and snow...

2> Do you mark rescuers with colored nomex hoods, vests or other methods to assist shore personnel identify them at a distance? We have colored strobes and are also looking into using cyalume sticks. Any other ideas?

I can be emailed at jellingson@newingtonfiredept.org OR
    FiRsqDvr45@mediaone.net

Thanks all!
    ------------------
    FF/EMT Jay Ellingson
    Newington,NH FD
    &
    New England Dragway Safety Team (Sundaaayy!)
    Be Safe!

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

1) You could use whistle signals instead of hand signals like in swiftwater.
    2) I'd go with the cylume sticks, they are easily attached and cheaper to replace if you lose them - they also don't get in the way like a vest might.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Forsyth Rescue Squad (Captain)
    NCTF-1
    Griffith Volunteer FD

philip publicover
    Firehouse.com Guest

FiRsqDvr45:

I agree with Susan about the use of the light sticks. Cheaper and easier to attach to the rescuer.

When considering a whistle the Fox 40 has the highest sound level of any manufactured. They do not have a pea to get frozen in place. A canned air horn may also be appropiate. Carry this in one of the water proof bags for portable radios.

I hope this helps.

Train Hard and Train Safe

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 Fire Department
    Blandford, N.S., Canada
    E-mail blandfordvfd@hotmail.com

Thread Information