Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Sad in Philly

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Sad in Philly

Is anyone else shamed of living in or around Philly? I saw the news this afternoon and I was discusted to see all the lovely out of town kiddies ruin everything. I must admot though the shot of the guy being attacked in his car was shocking, and when he floored it and started hitting people it did not bother me at all. I do not blame the guy. There were people jumping all over police cars and fire trucks. Makes me sad to know I live around Philadelphia.

Halligan84
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is there to be ashamed about? I wasn't there and you probably weren't either. Put thousands of (underaged) people on South St. drinking from 0700 to 2300 and your gonna have problems! I can't imagine its too much different anywhere else. I watched on the news this morning, 68 arrests, mostly out of town and mostly underaged. Philly had 200 cops there at the beginning, should have been enough even though this did happen at last years Fat Tuesday too!

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Uhh No. I'm not ashamed about living near Philadelphia. Hell pretty soon I'll be living IN Philadelphia. The Philadelphia area isn't the only Metropolitan area with its problems. And as a college student I know that underage kids + alcohol = Trouble. Now I'll admit that I have done South Street with my overage buddies plenty of times but I've never gotten out of hand. Maybe I can attribute that to being taught how to act in public. Don't condemn a whole area just because a couple of savages get out of hand.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

[This message has been edited by ENGINE18-3 (edited 02-28-2001).]

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work in Philly, I'm not ashamed. How much can cops do with underage kids. Let us not forget the Replublican Convention and the way our police handled the protesters at that time.

If there is a next time and if up to me I 'd throw the parents in jail, maybe that would that would teach them that they are responsible for their brats.

------------------
    The views and opinions expressed herin are my personal views and opinions and not those of any organization, department I may belong to or represent

fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hell how can you be ashamed (sp?) of living near Philly? Well I no that I'm not. Like others said it was a bunch of underage kids crowded on South St. and they were drinking all day. I think that the guy in the car should not be punished. Hell I no I would've done the same thing. Underage kids just drank too much and had their "beer muscles."

------------------
    Brian Cirard

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

You know what the other get things about living in the Greater Philadelphia Metropolitan Area?
    1. Being only an hour from the Shore.
    2. Being only two hours from the Mountains
    3. Best freakin Cheese Steaks in the World
    4. Being only an hour and a half from NYC and being able to go up there for the day and coming home and thanking God that you don't live there!

------------------

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

paets
    Firehouse.com Guest

They ought to just keep MardiGras in New Orleans where it belongs.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Gee...who didn't see this coming??

Take a bunch of snot-nosed, suburbanite punks trying to be urban, get 'em loaded, and pack them into the city with a bunch of drunk, truly urban kids, some of whom are also punks, and you get what?? a spelling bee?? a friendly game of stickball?? Get real. Now add the fact that the whole sordid mess is just a thinly-veiled excuse to get away with molesting women and you have an almost certain riot.

The people most to blame are the parents, but this is about the level of control I'd expect to see from a substantial portion of parents these days, so I'm not surprised.

The agency I'm really disappointed with is the Bureau of Liquor Code Enforcement. I've been involved in operating licensed establishments on and off for 10 years or so without so much as a cleanliness violation, and yet they keep a close eye on us out in the hinterland. Why wasn't the BLCE down there in force either ripping licenses right off the wall early in the night or, at least, filming the proceedings and generally collecting evidence in order to clobber them later, after the mob was gone?? What makes those licensees so freakin' special?? If I had ever allowed that kind of underage activity and wholesale takeout of open containers anywhere I ever managed, I'd have had padlocks on the door in a second.

Still, it doesn't embarrass me in the least, since this sort of thing would happen just about anywhere under the same set of circumstances. Things like this DO, however, keep me living (happily) in the sticks, even though it does mean a 1 hour+ commute to work every day.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Philly is a big enough city that I live approx. 15 miles from where all this happened- but I was still concerned. What these suburbanite punks need is for us "city kids" to come out to their neighborhood and start trashing the place!! You think a cop out in Montgomery County would smack someone with their nightstick?? The last time their riot helmet was worn was when they did a demonstration for career day at the local high school!!!

Many of these punks were agitated by (coughcoughALCOHOLcough) the fact that they were getting run over by large, stomping horses being ridden by men and women in uniform bearing the badge of the PHILADELPHIA POLICE OFFICER (!!) Many of whom don't take any sh*t!! "Move Along!- No?? ok".....WHAM!!! And the punk now has stars above his head and the Philly officer is ****ed because they now have to buy a new bulb for their Maglite because the punk's head fell into it three or four times. It isn't funny....It isn't cool...Is it necessary? Possibly. What would YOU do if you were the only cop on the corner, 20, 200 or 2000 kids were screwing with you?? I for one would have made teeth fly like a box of chicklits!! Draw some blood from one suburbanite kid, and the rest **** their pants in fear!! All the ones that were caught on camera from the ground and the aerial shots just didnt have any of Phillys Finest in the immedate area "warming up for batting practice."

What is the sense in starting to drink at 0600 and continue all day long?? Who the hell has that much money?? (Oooops, silly me....suburbanite kids...who will get bailed out by daddy and slapped on the wrist....who will then sue the Phila Police Dept. for brutality) There has been talk among the locals for banning this activity in the future. I hope they do it....And for those of you from out of town, we have a thing called "Columbus Blvd." That's where, like every other city, is a strip of nightclubs. What happened on South Street happens every single Friday and Sat night on Columbus, just in a smaller scale.

Don't ban alcohol.....but opening at 0600 and serving?? C'mon....

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

oooops....nearly forgot....

Philadelphia Police Dept....YOU GO!!! Do whatch'a gotta DO!

no designated hitters...and free PR-24 Shampoos for the first 300 perpetrators!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Mike DeVuono
    Firehouse.com Guest

Army....

Once again you speak many words of wisdom. I wans't down there but some of my buddies were and guess what...nothing but Council Rock, S. Jersey and other suburbanite punks down there. These kids think they are so freakin tough. I hope some of them ate a knuckle sandwich from a real Philly kid. I hope the windows on their Daddy's Explorer were shattered all over the city streets. They all like to act so tough and think they're cool...let's see them head into the Badlands and see how tough they are.

Just because we don't have lawns that look like carpet and a Lexus and SUV parked in the driveway, don't think you can come into the place of my birth and destroy it. Sorry, I had to vent. If you grew up in Philly you understand where I'm coming from though.

------------------
    Mike DeVuono

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

What I meant is that I am a suburban kid. I am right in delaware county about 10 minutes out of South West Philly. I am embarressed to be a suburban kid because I am labeled as one of those a-holes who ruined the ciy. Beleivve me I dislike those morons kids from out here also. Be it I am not a little rich kid like them, I worked hard since I was 13 to get what I have and I am not supported by mommy and daddy like most of a-holes. I think it's a discrace that they go into Philly and ruin it for everyone and personally I loved the tape of the poor guy being attacked in his car running people over, I would of done exactly the same thing only faster and harder. And it is to bad that the police didn't thump anyone. It's a sue everyone because it's not my fault word unfortunatly and the police cannot effectivly do their jobs. Start swinging boys in blue!!!

------------------
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your Brain on drugs..... E-One
    http://www.nfco1.freeservers.com

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hope no one is grouping me in with those "S. Jersey punks", Because I am far from that. I dislike the khaki clan kids from Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, and Voorhes. Oaklyn is a blue collar suburb and if I was home on Tuesday I wouldn't of been on South St. unlike the khaki kids if I ever get arrested my Dad would severely kick my *****, and also like them I have to worry about my record if I want that Civil Service Job, because my Dad isn't a lawyer or a doctor so their isn't any firm or practice for me to become a partner of.
    So not all of us S. Jersey guys are bad, if you are from Oaklyn, Haddon Twp., Audubon, Collingswood, and Pennsauken then you know how the real world is.

------------------

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Thread Information